• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Digital or Physical 2nd Town + Your Opinions?

Physical or Digital Copy

• Physical

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • Digital

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prisma

♡ Prism Power ♡
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
4775-0631-9214
New Horizons Token
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
Purple Candy
Purple Violet
Purple Feather
I want to get a 2nd town but I'm unsure.
I kind of want the digital verison so I always have it with me and I don't have to constantly swap cartidges.

I am concerned though what would happen if I ever needed a new DS could it all be put on the new one?
I've heard of data being erased
And I want to know if I can hack a digital copy.

Lastly I want to know your guys opinions and pros+cons between them both

Thank you!

i know that if you get another 3DS, there is a application that you can download (an official one) which will let you transfer all data and games from an old one to the new one! :lemon: so don't let that stop you! :D

Dunno about hacking, but you definitely can transfer your Nintendo account (along with all digital games and their save data) from your old DS to a new DS.

I have a digital copy of ACNL that moved over fine when I switched over from my 3DS to my new 3DS XL.

Yeah, it's pretty convenient to get digital compared to swapping carts unless you have another 3DS for it.
or if you plan to get one later, you can do system transfer to move the digital version from previous to the new unit.

Your New Leaf save file from physical will always be saved in the cart while the digital is saved in the SD card.

Last edited:
I would buy a digital copy. If you have a e-Shop (?) account I thought you could transfer bought copies to your new DS, If you had one.
I would take the digital copy because you don't have to differ between the 2 copies. And you can't lose it so easily.

Physical because DS's and electronics in general are built to break. What happens if your 3ds doesn't turn on one day, or it does but the screen is pitch black/you can't do anything on it? You end up losing all of your digital data, and the price to get it fixed is ridiculous. I recommend a physical copy because it's safer. Unless you know how to transfer everything on your SD card to your new 3ds manually, I don't recommend buying digital copies.

If you lose cartridges easily, buy a 3DS case and put your cartridge in there ALWAYS when you're not using it, even if you have the cartridge set down "just for a little while".

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer physical copies of games, as I like to be able to have the cartridge there, but I do have a downloaded copy of Animal Crossing too - I rarely play it, however, it's kind of a spare town for me at the moment. I think it's better to have physical copies - like people before me have said, I feel safer having a physical copy in case something goes wrong with my console one day, or if the game somehow corrupted & I lost a town I'd put a lot of time/effort into building!

i know that if you get another 3DS, there is a application that you can download (an official one) which will let you transfer all data and games from an old one to the new one! :lemon: so don't let that stop you! :D

Sadly, not all data. My first pre-owned 3DS XL went caput, so I traded it for another. (Had insurance, thankfully!) My town transferred just fine, and photos, but NOT my activity log. :(

Physical because DS's and electronics in general are built to break. What happens if your 3ds doesn't turn on one day, or it does but the screen is pitch black/you can't do anything on it? You end up losing all of your digital data, and the price to get it fixed is ridiculous. I recommend a physical copy because it's safer. Unless you know how to transfer everything on your SD card to your new 3ds manually, I don't recommend buying digital copies.

If you lose cartridges easily, buy a 3DS case and put your cartridge in there ALWAYS when you're not using it, even if you have the cartridge set down "just for a little while".

^ This.

It's easier to keep better/safer track of digital copies of games these days, but I still don't trust it. I have horrible luck, so I feel a lot better having a physical copy of my game. Things can still happen to it, of course, but I trust my luck with physical copies a helluva lot better than with a digital one.

My old 3DS now needs a new battery after I had already gotten a New 3DS XL. I would have done a data transfer if there hadn't been complications regarding my use of multiple SD cards on the old 3DS. I can't put regular sized SD cards in the new one, so it made me choose to not transfer. (SD card merging also sounds risky if you don't know what you're doing, so I'm not doing that either)
The only digital games I had gotten were ones I could not get physical copies of. I of course cannot play those now. (Or in the case of free ones, I cannot play with my old data) But almost all of my physical games are now played on the New 3DS. The one I refuse to play is Smash Bros. since I'm pretty sure the DLC is connected to the old 3DS. I haven't tried to put it in the new 3DS at all. My Pokemon games could still connect to the Global Link website after being put in the new 3DS, which is great. I did have a small issue with Tomodachi Life which was all the Miis waiting on the port were lost. But their only purpose was for Streetpass tags, so that's okay. I actually have not tried New Leaf because I've been taking a very long break from it. Happy Home Designer still had its Happy Home Network account when played on the new 3DS.

Physical, because of less chance for data corruption, you're not reliant on an SD card and system that could break down, etc. Also, I just prefer physical, personally.

For me personally, I'd say physical. But thats just because I like physical copies for everything.

Digital is better in the sense that it's on your 3DS virtually so you can never lose it, but i've read a lot from other people on the forum about them apparently being easier to corrupt or damage. I have a physical town, and i've never had it corrupt on me or anything like that (thankfully) and i've had it since it's release in the UK. There's always the danger of losing all that you've worked on, but that can happen with either.

Physical for the following reason...
Digital data is not a guarantee as far as service/availability. If the store goes belly up for any reason, you lose access to your account, the game itself is corrupted, the 3ds dies and cannot be repaired... that's it. Nintendo is the only company that still uses carts/flash media, which is more resistant to the daily wear and tear a person can put it through. Not to mention that if I'm gonna pay full price for a game, I want concrete evidence of that purchase - something I can hold even if it takes up shelf space and needs dusting off.

Back