• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Anyone else a fan of anime?

I've watched anime since I have memory, lol. My favorite ones are Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon (the classic one, I hate crystal's designs) and Sakura Card Captors.

I usually like the main stream anime
But will watch movies
I am the only one I know who likes main stream (popular) anime and watch the moves
Top Fav Anime Pokemon Yougioh Salor Moon Fist of The North Star
HM Avatar

Top fav anime Akira Spirited Away Grave of the Firefles
HM Ghost in the Shel

I love anime! I'm going to sound like a scrub but I've only recently started watching InuYasha and I love it. I've watched a ton of anime but I was avoiding the really long ones, so I haven't seen Naruto or Bleach either.

Inuyasha is awesome! That was one of the shows that got me into anime.

I couldn't get into bleach so I can't say much about it but with Naruto you're not missing out on much. I swear half of the episodes are just filler episodes of flashbacks.

i was rly into anime a few years ago but ive stopped watching now because ive lost interest. i hadnt watched any anime since fall 2015 until i watched mirai nikki a few weeks ago. honestly don't see why so many people love it so much but idk.

my favourite ones are bakuman (especially the second season), yowamushi pedal, hunter x hunter, zankyou no terror, durarara!! and hourou musuko.

also i know that making an entire anime in great art is expensive and takes time but i really love well animated series and i wish there were more of them. a lot of shows have beautifully animated important scenes and then the other stuff is that generic kinda meh style. often animated movies look nicer because theyre shorter and it's less expensive to animate 1.5 pretty hours instead of 8 pretty hours lol.
idk im just really tired of the generic anime style that looks flat and exactly like everything else. before i complwtely stopped watching i got into a lot of unique/different/not generic animated stuff bc i was so sick of ugly characters with red spiky hair lmao

I've seen a lot of good animes over the past few years. The first one I've ever watched was Sailor Moon, but I got bored with it after season 1. The ones that I've enjoyed the most are Rurouni Kenshin, Durarara, Magi, FMA: Brotherhood, and Ergo Proxy. I usually enjoy stuff that presents real world issues, shows the world as it is, and has pretty good action. Although, sometimes, I'll sit down and watch a lighthearted slice of life anime.

Last edited:
I started getting some into anime beginning in 2009, but it wasn't until 2012 that I really liked it, but then my interest started dying off after that. However, within the past several months I've had a major obsession with Studio Ghibli movies.

I was never interested in anime. Well, my brother was, but he stopped somehow.

What's wrong with yaoi lmfao

Yaoi actually had a huge impact on my life, weirdly enough. The community is really nice. I've met a lot of really great people out of it, including my best friend of what will be six years next month! But, obviously, there's still a lot of prejudice. Can't please everyone!

Last edited:
What's wrong with yaoi lmfao

I was mainly saying that no one needs to know that a 10 year old was watching or reading it but now that you mention it!

There is actually a big problem in the industry and that is that a huge amount of it is pure fetishization of gay men and m/m couples in general, and is primarily made for women rather than, you know, actual gay dudes. It's often made by women as well, and ones who have no idea how dudes do the do no less.

I won't get into it any more here but the more you know.

Last edited:
I was mainly saying that no one needs to know that a 10 year old was watching or reading it but now that you mention it!

There is actually a big problem in the industry and that is that a huge amount of it is pure fetishization of gay men and m/m couples in general, and is primarily made for women rather than, you know, actual gay dudes. It's often made by women as well, and ones who have no idea how dudes do the do no less.

I won't get into it any more here but the more you know.

Actually, the yaoi community has a wide range of male viewers/readers as well, and while it's not supposed to accurately represent a gay relationship, I think the same could be said for any anime, and surely nobody would want to take relationship advice (and certainly not cone-of-light sexual relationships) from a cartoon, you know?

Shungiku Nakamura is an amazing author behind some of the most popular yaoi out there, and she started simply because she preferred drawing those kinds of couples, and there's never any intent there to teach people how to have sex or how to have a healthy relationship. That's not what yaoi is.

Yaoi is fantasy, like all anime, and it's for entertainment! Nothing wrong with that in my eyes. And I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about my experiences of anime in a thread about just that.

Last edited:
When it's not overly-sexualized weeb cat-schoolgirl romances, yes! I'm a big fan of FLCL, Bleach and Cowboy Bebop. I'm also watching Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star right now and it's massively entertaining. I think good anime is out there, but a lot of it is crowded to the brim with a load of that weeb-schoolgirl trash. You have to dig deep to find something exceptionally good, that is remembered by many, loved by many, etc, because it's pretty rare to find nowadays, especially. The industry, as Miyazaki himself once said, is pandering to the weeaboo crowd and preventing good stories from coming up. Because it's true. They're low-quality, cookie cutter, shallow stories that can be pretty disgusting at times. And they all get forgotten in the longrun, because the kind that sticks around is what was actually good.

...Or what sells incredibly well, like the case of One Piece and Naruto. My god are those popular(Never got into them though. I was always the Bleach kind of guy with the big three)

Actually, the yaoi community has a wide range of male viewers/readers as well, and while it's not supposed to accurately represent a gay relationship, I think the same could be said for any anime, and surely nobody would want to take relationship advice (and certainly not cone-of-light sexual relationships) from a cartoon, you know?

Shungiku Nakamura is an amazing author behind some of the most popular yaoi out there, and she started simply because she preferred drawing those kinds of couples, and there's never any intent there to teach people how to have sex or how to have a healthy relationship. That's not what yaoi is.

Yaoi is fantasy, like all anime, and it's for entertainment! Nothing wrong with that in my eyes. And I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about my experiences of anime in a thread about just that.

Actually, I never said men weren't into yaoi and I don't care if they are. That doesn't change that the target audience is unfortunately not men.

Anyways regardless of the writers' intents I still do not and will never want straight girls and women fawning over and fetishizing us and that's what yaoi largely contributes to whether they want it to or not. Women using gay men as props to satisfy themselves and not even caring to accurately present us is dehumanizing and disgusting.

Anyways this thread wasn't about yaoi and I don't think it is an appropriate topic so goodbye.

Actually, I never said men weren't into yaoi and I don't care if they are. That doesn't change that the target audience is unfortunately not men.

Anyways regardless of the writers' intents I still do not and will never want straight girls and women fawning over and fetishizing us and that's what yaoi largely contributes to whether they want it to or not. Women using gay men as props to satisfy themselves and not even caring to accurately present us is dehumanizing and disgusting.

Anyways this thread wasn't about yaoi and I don't think it is an appropriate topic so goodbye.

It's not really their or the fans' problem whether you find it offensive or not. It's there for entertainment, and anybody who is gonna be sitting there writing things down for tips shouldn't be watching it. Going by that logic, it's not okay for mainstream anime like Attack on Titan to feature people being eaten alive, 'cause that promotes cannibalism somehow.

It's a story, and as a gay person I have no idea why anybody would get upset over watching a cartoon of all things. But I digress, there are still a lot of people who are against it and put down others for enjoying it or endorsing it.

Last edited:
When it's not overly-sexualized weeb cat-schoolgirl romances, yes! I'm a big fan of FLCL, Bleach and Cowboy Bebop. I'm also watching Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star right now and it's massively entertaining. I think good anime is out there, but a lot of it is crowded to the brim with a load of that weeb-schoolgirl trash. You have to dig deep to find something exceptionally good, that is remembered by many, loved by many, etc, because it's pretty rare to find nowadays, especially. The industry, as Miyazaki himself once said, is pandering to the weeaboo crowd and preventing good stories from coming up. Because it's true. They're low-quality, cookie cutter, shallow stories that can be pretty disgusting at times. And they all get forgotten in the longrun, because the kind that sticks around is what was actually good.

...Or what sells incredibly well, like the case of One Piece and Naruto. My god are those popular(Never got into them though. I was always the Bleach kind of guy with the big three)

Yeah, one of my friends back in 2011-2012 admitted to me in the spring of 2012 that she was very into Bleach, and I tried looking into it during the spring and summer that year, but I was 12 years old at the time and was told it wasn't that appropriate for me. However, around the end of that school year in May (that was when I was in 6th grade) I did look into Naruto and I started watching it that following December during my 7th grade year, but I didn't watch it at all after the very end of 2012-the very beginning of 2013.

I've completed...252.

I enjoyed it a lot when I was young and to my mid-teens. I still enjoy it but I feel like the types of series I love are just not in supply and haven't been in supply for awhile now. So, it's been hard working up the desire to watch anything. Angel's Egg, Millennium Actress, Mononoke (series), Haibane Renmei, GITS SAC, Paradise Kiss, Nana, WHR...are some of my favorites that I think everyone should watch. :]

I've completed...252.

I enjoyed it a lot when I was young and to my mid-teens. I still enjoy it but I feel like the types of series I love are just not in supply and haven't been in supply for awhile now. So, it's been hard working up the desire to watch anything. Angel's Egg, Millennium Actress, Mononoke (series), Haibane Renmei, GITS SAC, Paradise Kiss, Nana, WHR...are some of my favorites that I think everyone should watch. :]

Woah what

I've probably completed like 10 and I get the odd weeb accusation

As a bisexual dude who has been into yaoi for years, I don't give a crap if women enjoy seeing dudes making out, etc. any more than I care if dudes enjoy seeing women making out, etc. Liking that is not "fetishization", and there is no requirement for art to "accurately" depict relationships, and no matter how you depict them, someone will still find them unrealistic.

- - - Post Merge - - -

And to respond to the original topic of this thread, yes I am a huge anime fan, though like most of my interests I wish I had more time for it. I've been a fan of anime since childhood when I loved watching anime on Toonami on Cartoon Network and WB. My favorites include Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cardcaptor Sakura, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Cowboy Bebop. I'm planning to get back into watching Sailor Moon for the first time (I watched the first 7 episodes months and months ago and want to start watching it again).

Last edited:
Back