• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

So my 3DS is getting old and broken :(

ah that sounds annoying! my old 3ds did the same thing to me when i tried playing pokemon. i would let it alone and it would just pick random buttons. i wonder if nintendo does this on purpose lol

Lol, it really is annoying! It's getting worse every day lol. I just think it has a mind of its own. I'm even worried to do trades in other people's towns because they might think I'm just running off when really it's just my 3DS being mental haha.

You know you can buy refurbished 3DS on Nintendo's web site for 170 dollars right? That's what I did. It's cheaper than the 199 dollar and it comes with a year warranty. And since it comes directly from Nintendo, you know it's not going to be junk.

That's very odd. How can is be breaking down after 3 years, (with 2 years not being used?) I've had mine since 2011, and it works fine, excluding the 4 hour battery I have on it, but all batteries run down after time.

I've had mine for 4 years, and I've probably spent about 350 hours on it. It works fine, but it has a few scratches and is old from a bit of wear and tear.

Same, I've had mine since Christmas 2011 (or 2012? I don't remember) and it still works fine. It's pretty beaten up but it's still good. The only thing that bugs me is that the L and R buttons don't work anymore.

That's very odd. How can is be breaking down after 3 years, (with 2 years not being used?) I've had mine since 2011, and it works fine, excluding the 4 hour battery I have on it, but all batteries run down after time.

I have no idea :'( That's why I'm extra sad. I didn't expect it to die so soon.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Same, I've had mine since Christmas 2011 (or 2012? I don't remember) and it still works fine. It's pretty beaten up but it's still good. The only thing that bugs me is that the L and R buttons don't work anymore.

For AC I wouldn't mind having broken L and R buttons since you never have to use them anyway, but that must suck for other games :( Like Zelda games since you have "Z targeting" although it isn't called that anymore lol. But I'd still rather have that than a possessed circle pad lol. Lucky everyone with their systems lasting longer than mine. Haha :p

You just never can tell much from an online post. I heard from an unimpeachable source that, although Arize's avatar is a cute girl, she's actually a 260 pound man who makes his living thumb-rasslin' at carnivals. That *could* explain the short life of her (?) thumbsticks...

You just never can tell much from an online post. I heard from an unimpeachable source that, although Arize's avatar is a cute girl, she's actually a 260 pound man who makes his living thumb-rasslin' at carnivals. That *could* explain the short life of her (?) thumbsticks...

How could you reveal my secret like that! Scoundrel! Please, everyone. Do not listen to Tortimer!

That's weird, mine is 7 years old and all that's wrong with it is that the cover for the analog stick comes off.

I have no idea :'( That's why I'm extra sad. I didn't expect it to die so soon.

- - - Post Merge - - -

For AC I wouldn't mind having broken L and R buttons since you never have to use them anyway, but that must suck for other games :( Like Zelda games since you have "Z targeting" although it isn't called that anymore lol. But I'd still rather have that than a possessed circle pad lol. Lucky everyone with their systems lasting longer than mine. Haha :p

My 3ds' Circular pad needed replacing and I replaced it myself for very cheap.

I got a cheap laptop repair kit and the following:

Stick
Pad

I'd also recommend looking at this guide.

Honestly a very doable repair and some experience working hands-on with your system for pretty cheap! I don't have much experience working with hardware hands-on other than having built a few computers, so really anyone can do it! As for the L/R buttons, I'm sure you could just order some after-market buttons to replace them. You don't even have to disassemble the 3ds completely for those iirc.

Last edited:
My 3ds' Circular pad needed replacing and I replaced it myself for very cheap.

I got a cheap laptop repair kit and the following:

Stick
Pad

I'd also recommend looking at this guide.

Honestly a very doable repair and some experience working hands-on with your system for pretty cheap! I don't have much experience working with hardware hands-on other than having built a few computers, so really anyone can do it! As for the L/R buttons, I'm sure you could just order some after-market buttons to replace them. You don't even have to disassemble the 3ds completely for those iirc.

I did consider that at one point, but I really do not trust myself not to mess up :p If I mess up, then I'd be stuck without a system for a while.

Last edited:
I have my first DSi since almost 8-9 years and it's still working. My 3DS is 6 years old and still working, so I don't know..

That happened to both of my DS Lites... But also a ton of other problems such as touch screen issues. I'd rather not make a list of everything wrong with those two since it would be pretty long.

I did consider that at one point, but I really do not trust myself not to mess up :p If I mess up, then I'd be stuck without a system for a while.

Gotcha. Maybe if you do decide to get a new system at some point you could go ahead and try your hand at replacing the pad on your old one? Then you'd either have two systems for whatever reason, or you could sell your old system at used price!

I do promise that if you follow the instructions, the idea of opening up your system is a lot scarier than once you're fixing it ;P

Last edited:
Gotcha. Maybe if you do decide to get a new system at some point you could go ahead and try your hand at replacing the pad on your old one? Then you'd either have two systems for whatever reason, or you could sell your old system at used price!

I do promise that if you follow the instructions, the idea of opening up your system is a lot scarier than once you're fixing it ;P

That's a good idea :p Maybe I'll try that!

I've had mine for about 3 years, and the button thingy on the controller broke off.

IMG_20170422_191225502.jpg

I have another 3ds, and I just got the new one, but I can't bear to stop playing with this one (it was my first).

I've had mine for about 3 years, and the button thingy on the controller broke off.

View attachment 197875

I have another 3ds, and I just got the new one, but I can't bear to stop playing with this one (it was my first).

Lol! I'm pretty sentimental with my 3DS too :p Isn't it really uncomfortable to play it like that though?

Back