• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

So my 3DS is getting old and broken :(

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Apple 🍎
Durian 🌽
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
Every time I play AC, my character moves jerkily, running off on her own, refusing to move at times, pressing A on all the wrong dialogue options because my circle pad doesn't work properly and often just wants to do it's own thing.. It's so annoying lol. I can't buy a new system at the moment so I'm stuck with it. Oh boy, though, I wish my 3DS lasted longer than it did... I have only had it for 3 years.. It's already broken??! What's the usual lifespan of the 3DS? Is this normal..?

- - - Post Merge - - -

PS: It spent close to 2 years not even in use...

Have you played any other games on it? Do they do the same thing? And I dunno what experiences others have had, but my first 3DS still works fine. So not sure why yours is acting all jacked.

i'm sorry to hear that :( if it's only a d-pad issue, maybe nintendo can fix it for you? i'm sure your warranty for it has expired but it may cost less to fix it than to buy a new one. i've had my oldest 3ds for longer than you've had yours and it works fine so i'm not sure why yours is acting so wonky

Have you played any other games on it? Do they do the same thing? And I dunno what experiences others have had, but my first 3DS still works fine. So not sure why yours is acting all jacked.

Yes, I've tried it with my Ocarina of Time, and it's the same thing. So I haven't been playing games like those where you can fall off cliffs or die because of making a wrong movement. :(

- - - Post Merge - - -

i'm sorry to hear that :( if it's only a d-pad issue, maybe nintendo can fix it for you? i'm sure your warranty for it has expired but it may cost less to fix it than to buy a new one. i've had my oldest 3ds for longer than you've had yours and it works fine so i'm not sure why yours is acting so wonky

I researched and apparently it costs around $80 to repair it. I think that it just isn't worth that much to fix a circle pad, when the New 3DS is just around $200 more, and I'd eventually want to upgrade my system anyway. Just can't right now, unfortunately :( So I have to put up with it. It's especially annoying when I have to put patterns or anything down in a specific spot. My character just refuses to stand where I need her to lol.

I researched and apparently it costs around $80 to repair it. I think that it just isn't worth that much to fix a circle pad, when the New 3DS is just around $200 more, and I'd eventually want to upgrade my system anyway. Just can't right now, unfortunately :( So I have to put up with it. It's especially annoying when I have to put patterns or anything down in a specific spot. My character just refuses to stand where I need her to lol.

yikes, yeah, that's way too much. my N3DSXL has a camera problem and they wanted to charge me $80 to fix that and i was like mmm nah, lol. oh well. i hope you can replace it soon :(

yikes, yeah, that's way too much. my N3DSXL has a camera problem and they wanted to charge me $80 to fix that and i was like mmm nah, lol. oh well. i hope you can replace it soon :(

Yeah, I believe it's a flat minimum of $80 to send to repair at Nintendo, no matter how minor the damage is :( So yeah, really not worth it lol

Yeah, I believe it's a flat minimum of $80 to send to repair at Nintendo, no matter how minor the damage is :( So yeah, really not worth it lol

Aren't you the lady who just paid $80 to get her Lamborghini washed? Priorities!

There was someone here on TBT that had the same thing - same quoted price

Sadly I haven't seen them around - I hope that doesn't happen with you!

Hope you get it fixed if it gets really bad. Be on the lookout for deals :)

Yeah my 3ds has camera issues, can't use it at all. So I have to use my new Nintendo 3ds xl for qr codes for my first town. It's really a bummer when systems start to die.

There was someone here on TBT that had the same thing - same quoted price

Sadly I haven't seen them around - I hope that doesn't happen with you!

Hope you get it fixed if it gets really bad. Be on the lookout for deals :)

Yeah, Nintendo is pretty greedy with their repairs. $80 dollars minimum, seriously?? Haha

Circle pads die quickly. Do some Googling and you'll find Smash often kills it. My circle pad sometimes gets a bit gritty if the 3DS isn't used for several months. It's weird.

Yeah my 3ds has camera issues, can't use it at all. So I have to use my new Nintendo 3ds xl for qr codes for my first town. It's really a bummer when systems start to die.

Ugh, true. Even worse when it hasn't even reached it's usual lifespan. I've taken perfect care of my system too! So I don't know what went wrong lol.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Circle pads die quickly. Do some Googling and you'll find Smash often kills it. My circle pad sometimes gets a bit gritty if the 3DS isn't used for several months. It's weird.

I can see how smash can kill it quick. However, I never play games that require me to move the circle-pad that aggressively. Only AC, Zelda, and Fantasy Life. All circle pad movement for those games are slow or regular. And like I mentioned, it spent close to 2 years not even in use, so it came as a big surprise when it just randomly started dying.

How disappointing! I would be bereft if anything happened to my 3ds because it is the special edition one and I am very attached to it lol. I even saved the box. I came close to spilling a glass of kool aid on it once and almost had a heart attack. I hope you can find a solution for yours.

How disappointing! I would be bereft if anything happened to my 3ds because it is the special edition one and I am very attached to it lol. I even saved the box. I came close to spilling a glass of kool aid on it once and almost had a heart attack. I hope you can find a solution for yours.

Thanks! I'm incredibly attached to my 3DS too and it's just a plain black one, nothing special. But to me, it's special because it was an impulse buy during my break at work and it's the reason why I got back into Nintendo games. If I hadn't felt like spending a large amount of money that day, I wouldn't have been introduced to AC or Fantasy Life, or the DS Zelda games. So many good memories with my baby D:

I've had mine for 4 years, and I've probably spent about 350 hours on it. It works fine, but it has a few scratches and is old from a bit of wear and tear.

I've had mine for 4 years, and I've probably spent about 350 hours on it. It works fine, but it has a few scratches and is old from a bit of wear and tear.

Jealous :p I have no idea why mine pooped out so early then since it seems everyone else's has lived much longer than mine.

i've noticed that mine has started to have some issues recently and it's about 4 years old, just a regular xl version, but i'd be pretty sad if it started to crap out on me too, lol

but the only things i've noticed is that when playing something like pokemon sun on it, after saving and exiting the game, it pops up a screen that says "please wait..." and then both screens go black :eek: and then after a minute or two everything comes back and loads again... i wonder if it's because it's an updated/newer game and the system is having a hard time loading it all? i've always had a little lag on it at times when i play acnl, though, but lately i play on my newer 3ds instead

i hope you can replace yours soon :(

Oh yeah, my first 3DS (from Christmas 2011, I think?) has battery problems. I've stopped playing it and I play my new 3DS XL instead. I just haven't gotten around to getting a replacement battery. It also had charge problems right before that and I had to get out the charging dock I had never used so it could charge better. Oh, and the 3D switch no longer knew when it was turned off. Pretty broken 3DS.

Back