So my 3DS is getting old and broken :(

That's weird yours isn't working. I got mine for Christmas of 2012, and it still is working fine even though I use it quite frequently.

I've had my 3DS since 2011 and it still works fine also have the New 3DS and have had it just over two years, it had a circuit board issue which meant it would turn off at random times and made animal crossing really wonky to play got it fixed for free,, see what nintendo can do for you.

I got my 3DS around release time and August last year my circle pad started showing signs of lagging as well.
It got to be pretty annoying, until it eventually just stopped working correctly altogether.

I had also decided it was time to upgrade, so I saved up and got the newest model. I know how frustrating it is though. But I figure Nintendo is going to hold onto the 3DS for a good while, so upgrading is probably the best option.

I've had my 3DS since 2011 and it still works fine also have the New 3DS and have had it just over two years, it had a circuit board issue which meant it would turn off at random times and made animal crossing really wonky to play got it fixed for free,, see what nintendo can do for you.

Nintendo can't do much except overcharge me a ton of money to fix a simple problem :( My system is 3 years old and the warranty is long gone I believe. So no free fix for me hehe

I only had my 3ds for around 3 years when the entire top screen just cracked off. I ended up getting a New 3ds XL and I've been really happy with my purchase. It runs so much faster and I love having access to SNES virtual console games. Plus I can use amiibo without buying a separate reader. It's worth thinking about getting an upgrade since Nintendo will be robbing you of a lot of money either way.

I only had my 3ds for around 3 years when the entire top screen just cracked off. I ended up getting a New 3ds XL and I've been really happy with my purchase. It runs so much faster and I love having access to SNES virtual console games. Plus I can use amiibo without buying a separate reader. It's worth thinking about getting an upgrade since Nintendo will be robbing you of a lot of money either way.

I definitely want to upgrade for the built-in card reader. It's so annoying having to get my e-reader thingy everytime I need to scan one :( I also do like the upgraded 3D since I'm one of the rare few that actually likes that feature. Do you think that the placement of the stylus feels unnatural though?

I definitely want to upgrade for the built-in card reader. It's so annoying having to get my e-reader thingy everytime I need to scan one :( I also do like the upgraded 3D since I'm one of the rare few that actually likes that feature. Do you think that the placement of the stylus feels unnatural though?

Yeah I remember being annoyed at first that it wasn't on the side, but I don't really think about it anymore. One of the other improvements is that the volume dial is on the top screen now and is much more sturdy (on my old 3ds my finger would always hit the volume and blow my ears out with headphones :c). The other thing that annoys me about the new model is that it uses a microSD card which doesn't fit into my computer, so I had to buy a USB with a microSD slot (it was about $7 Canadian).

Overall the pros really outweigh the cons for me though!

Yeah I remember being annoyed at first that it wasn't on the side, but I don't really think about it anymore. One of the other improvements is that the volume dial is on the top screen now and is much more sturdy (on my old 3ds my finger would always hit the volume and blow my ears out with headphones :c). The other thing that annoys me about the new model is that it uses a microSD card which doesn't fit into my computer, so I had to buy a USB with a microSD slot (it was about $7 Canadian).

Overall the pros really outweigh the cons for me though!

I'm glad you got used to the stylus placement :) it gives me hope that I will too. I find that the sound output of the speakers also seem to be stronger, which I like a lot. I'm going to miss having a wifi switch though, since it was a good way to kick bad people out of town. Without it, you'd have to turn off the system while in game :( and yeah it's too bad about it switching to the micro SD card.

But I definitely agree that the improvements do make it worth it :)

My old 3DS's hinge broke off after 6 months and it was still kicking for 9 months afterwards then finally croaked. I kept dropping it on accident.

That sucks.
:x I don't know about likespan though...pretty sure both of mine are about 4-5 years and work fine. I also have my DS Lite from those days (wasn't that like 2006 lol?)and that works good too...My GameCube still works like a champ as well haha. Gotta love Nintendo.
Are you extra hard on your machine or don't store it safely?

Last edited:
Cost can be a strong motivator but, once you (speaking for myself) use the much bigger screen on an XL, a 2DS is never gonna happen. YMMV, of course.

My thoughts exactly. Plus I really do not like the design lol. I like the clamshell style of the 3DS

Yeah, I've had mine for about four years now, and I've had it fixed three times. :eek: Luckily it was under warranty so I haven't even paid a dime on repairs, but I've spent (literally) thousands of hours on it with no major problems like the ones you're describing. However, I have heard that if you play it a lot while plugged in, that could do some damage...

That sucks.
:x I don't know about likespan though...pretty sure both of mine are about 4-5 years and work fine. I also have my DS Lite from those days (wasn't that like 2006 lol?)and that works good too...My GameCube still works like a champ as well haha. Gotta love Nintendo.
Are you extra hard on your machine or don't store it safely?

I'm very gentle with it and in games where you have to vigorously rotate the circle pad (like in Zelda when you get caught by an enemy), I refuse to even do it. I take really good care of it. That's why it came as a surprise that it's already malfunctioning.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah, I've had mine for about four years now, and I've had it fixed three times. :eek: Luckily it was under warranty so I haven't even paid a dime on repairs, but I've spent (literally) thousands of hours on it with no major problems like the ones you're describing. However, I have heard that if you play it a lot while plugged in, that could do some damage...

I doubt that's the issue with mine since the problem seems to be with the circle pad itself. Everything else is fine. Also, the charger for the ds automatically stops taking charge when the battery is full so I think that's just a myth. I think it's just the classic wear and tear and I just got unlucky.

I have an old 3DS and the shoulder buttons don't work properly any more,
it runs pretty slowly and it's just a bit beat up in general now - I've had it for over 4 years now, though, and it's been playing up for at least a year and a half, so I think it's probably coming to the end of its lifespan now.
I also have a New 3DS, so I don't play my old one as much any more, but I used to play all my games on my old one, so it got a lot of use out of it over the years!

In december I upgraded to the new 3DSXL metallic, no regrets. Still have my OoT 3DS lives on my shelf now ha

Got it for ?120ish from tesco(UK) doesn't come with a charger but I wasn't fussed as I already have one.

If you don't wanna go second hand this could be an option :)

In december I upgraded to the new 3DSXL metallic, no regrets. Still have my OoT 3DS lives on my shelf now ha

Got it for ?120ish from tesco(UK) doesn't come with a charger but I wasn't fussed as I already have one.

If you don't wanna go second hand this could be an option :)

I live in Canada though :(

ah that sounds annoying! my old 3ds did the same thing to me when i tried playing pokemon. i would let it alone and it would just pick random buttons. i wonder if nintendo does this on purpose lol

Back