• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Things you would change about Gen VII

Awesomeness1230

😎
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Flea
Red Candy
Yellow Candy
Tasty Cake
Red Cosmos
Yellow Cosmos
Ancient Candle
Yellow Candy
August Birthstone (Peridot)
ど
Some of the trials are ridiculously easy. I had a really weak team that I used to scrape through the storyline and I had no ground pokemon or moves, yet I completed the Electric Trial with no problem first try! Interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

I'm bored right now so I'm just gonna make a list of issues I have with the game.

Things I would change about Gen VII

I know not many people share this view, but I always look forward to seeing who the champion is, because in every other Pokemon game I've played, it has been someone who was featured in the storyline prominently (with the exception of X/Y), but you never know who it would be. But making Professor Kuikui he champion was so predictable and boring. On that topic, I wish they introduced new characters for the Elite Four aprart from Kahunas/Trial leaders.

It's really hard to get good pokemon at the beginning of the game because the only pokemon you can catch are normal pokemon and they don't even evolve into stong ones like in previous games.

This is a generic one, but the game is ridiculously easy. I scraped through the storyline with a team with nothing but Flying/Normal pokemon (I'm lazy about creating teams before I unlock the Judge)

There's no post game mission or extra episode in the post game besides catching the ultra beasts.All there is to do in the game is complete the storyline and catch all the extra legendarys. After that, you're just running around in circles and the game gets really stale for me.

I'm also vexed that they only way to transfer pokemon between Sun/Moon and other pokemon games is to buy Pokebank. I don't want to pay money just so I can transfer pokemon from one game to the other.

Last edited:
The number of new Pokemon, the typing combos, way too many legendaries, no fixing of previous Pokemon like fan rotom or stunfisk, almost no post e4 content, no new Megas, the method for obtaining megastones, etc...

Last edited:
1-Make the game harder, or add a challenge mode like in BW2
2-Put in a national dex, because bankdex doesn't cut it.
3-Get rid of the festival Plaza, make it the PSS instead.
4-Nerf fairies, please.
5-MAKE THE GAME HARDER AND STOP HOLDING MY HAND
6-Refer to 1 and 5

Last edited:
The biggest thing I want changed is the hand holding. Gen 5 was okay with a linear map, albeit annoying, but once Gen 6 came along, the amount of hand holding the game gave you was insane, and only got worse with Gen7.

Also, whilst I appreciate them trying to change up the formula, I wish they didn't do it so drastically, and still kept gyms in some capacity. When I was playing through the game, it really didn't feel like I was making any progress until very late in the game. Sure, I was completing trials, but with out any end goal in sight, it just seemed like something I was doing to pass the time. Granted, I was aware the Pokemon League would come, but that didn't make it feel any less filler. In the older games, they kind of give you the heads up thet you'll be beating gyms and maybe getting to the Elite Four, yet here there wasn't really any of that. I just wish they kept gyms alongside trials.

Among other things, I'd have liked to see new megas, Alolan forms not only being Kanto Pokemon (logically, it doesn't make any sense why they're all Kanto Pokemon other than fanservice), and though minor, I would have really loved a bigger ice/snow area.

I wish the region was larger. It was weird having pokemon centers around every corner. I'm also a bit old in thinking there are way too many legendaries now. But I really only consider Lunaala and Solgaleo to be true legendaries for this one. The totem pokemon and UBs I consider pseudo legendary.

I wish there was an option to go through the trials again post-game with higher levels and more difficult battles. But I suppose there hasn't been a pokemon game that allowed you to revisit the pokemon league.

Overall though I thought it was a great game. I liked the story and the new gym system was fun, but I expect this will be the only region with the trial system. It was a great way to celebrate the 20th anniversary, imo ~

Last edited:
Shiny hunting. Bring back dexnav, chain fishing, hordes, and friend safaris! I can't stress enough how horrible SOS chaining is. Not only is it harder to keep a chain, but the odds are lower than dexnav, chain fishing, hordes, and friend safari.

How in the world does this game not have the National Dex? That's perhaps the most ridiculous omission from a Pokemon game ever. I know "It's in Pokemon Bank!" but no that doesn't count. It's not in Sun/Moon, and no way in the world should you have to pay a fee to keep having access to it.

Alola forms was a great idea but I feel they were really lazy with designing them. While some look really cool like vulpix/ninetails,sandshrew/sandslash, etc. some were... wtf... *looks at alolan exeggutor, dugtrio, persian*. It's like they slapped hair and mushaches on some of them and said "okay we're done now lol" either that or they purposely made them look ridiculous to create memes.

Another thing that really disappointed me was the absence of the national dex. I feel they are just trying to get people to by pokebank. :|

Last edited:
No national dex is a big issue, and I do miss the gyms. I think it would be much more challenging if they still had gyms along with the trials. Normally I play the game for hours and hours after I finish the elite four but I honestly haven't even picked it up much after I finished the game. Also, more megas and a better way to get all of the stones.

The hand holding thing was the main reason why I didn't buy Sun/Moon. You feel like an idiot tbh. I played the demo and when you were supposed to find Pokemon in the walls, they legit TOLD YOU right where to go. It was painful for me. Also, they need to ditch the effectiveness thing in battles. That ruins it for me and makes it mind numbing.

At least put a difficulty in there or something! I felt like the game was so easy, that four year olds could play it. Seriously, it was too easy, at least from the demo. XY had this easy issue too.

What does hand holding mean in Sun & Moon?
They always told you your next destination through every step of the way, via rotom dex and dialogue from characters. THAT'S ANOTHER THING: So much damn dialogue! I mean, I absolutely love the characters but god damn lemme play the game.

They always told you your next destination through every step of the way, via rotom dex and dialogue from characters. THAT'S ANOTHER THING: So much damn dialogue! I mean, I absolutely love the characters but god damn lemme play the game.

Thanks for telling me what it means. Somehow, I do not understand video game terms and video game slang very well.

Last edited:
Turn down the graphics. And make better training opportunities post-game. Like, the only thing you can do is like, battle that GF guy or just do E4 :/

And yeah that Rotom dex is really annoying.

Oh yea I almost forgot: The special pc wallpapers. Usually after defeating the game you'd unlock special box backgrounds featuring the game's mascots/starters/villainous team and they looked awesome but they didn't do that this time for some reason. I was very disappointed.

If there's anything that needs to be fixed in Gen 7, it has got to be character design. I do not like Lillie in that short skirt. If it were longer than what it really was, it would be better. I'm okay with the lasses wearing short skirts since they did this since gen 1, but I'm not okay with Lillie wearing a short skirt like what she has.

If there's anything that needs to be fixed in Gen 7, it has got to be character design. I do not like Lillie in that short skirt. If it were longer than what it really was, it would be better. I'm okay with the lasses wearing short skirts since they did this since gen 1, but I'm not okay with Lillie wearing a short skirt like what she has.

Eh, alright, care to elaborate? I see nothing wrong with that and the NPC's has way better clothes than the dude/gurl you play as, plus when they finally let us customize they are pretty limited, at least in Sun/Moon. I get it's Hawaii-esque settings but come on you can do better than "lol random mainstream tourist clothes" in those stores smh. Really liked x/y better for that.

Also change those ugly starters hats I swear, some rubber glove in pink on your head, wth.

Eh, alright, care to elaborate? I see nothing wrong with that and the NPC's has way better clothes than the dude/gurl you play as, plus when they finally let us customize they are pretty limited, at least in Sun/Moon. I get it's Hawaii-esque settings but come on you can do better than "lol random mainstream tourist clothes" in those stores smh. Really liked x/y better for that.

Also change those ugly starters hats I swear, some rubber glove in pink on your head, wth.

There are actually some questions that I don't feel comfortable answering. But I'm basically trying to say is that the only thing in Gen 7 that needs fixing is Lillie's skirt. I actually find her ugly in a skirt that short for her height. It would be better if it were longer. Not only that, but her body looks like it's out of proportion based on legs and torso compared to the female protagonist. I understand that Pokemon is a Japanese game, and miniskirts are part of the Japanese culture, but I really don't like Lillie like how they designed her.

Back