• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

AARRUGGGHH that one last hidden fossil spot

Gruntilda

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
This has happened at least once in every ACNL game I have played - the dreaded day when you can't find one of your fossil spots in your town. I am going on my third day now of just finding 3 fossils even though I have gone over my town with a fine toothed comb a couple of times a day. I am obviously missing it somewhere though. Refresh my memory... are there notoriously hidden spots where you have had trouble seeing the fossil stars on the ground? I have pushed the up pad behind all the houses and trees, and made a special effort to look behind the bushes. Is it possible that it can be covered by something like a new PWP? aarughhh.

I would sometimes get it in the top corner of my map next to a pattern path and some bamboo. It annoyed me, so I dropped a random extra pattern square there to make it stop. I also often find them hidden in my fruit orchid. The trees are really close together there so I have to change the camera view to see them.

Buried items can't be covered underneath PWPs, as everything in/on the ground is removed when you place it. And after it's placed, nothing can spawn on that area. (and in my experience of cheating, even if you try placing items under houses/buildings they disappear when you load your save.)
If you have a tall town tree, you can try looking on the ground where the leaves cover it. And behind the rocks. That's so annoying though. Good luck finding it!

That happens to me almost every day. I'm thinking about covering my whole town with flowers and patterns and very few spots with nothing on them so it'll be easier to spot the marks.

This happens to me SO OFTEN. Usually it's hidden behind a bush or a flower or a rock or a building or a tree. -_- Usually a bush flower or rock thought. Oh yeah. Stumps. They can b behind stumps too.
Funny thing. I had patterns EVERYWHERE to try to make finding fossils easier. I took them all down and now I'm having a easier time finding them. Go figure.
It drives me crazy too. Or I'll find 2 and none of the others.

I'm glad I'm not alone lol! I will try again later and definitely go check out behind my town tree. I am determined to find it! By the way... how long does it stay there if I don't find it - forever? I am hoping after a week or so the game might just reset and let you have 4 new fossil places. One can hope.

Usually it's behind a building or disguised as a bamboo shoot

I hate it when it's behind a bush. Often times I find it hidden between trees and the train tracks.

YAY!! I finally found it! It was along the lower edge of the river blocked from view by a pine tree and a red lily. When I pressed up behind the pine tree it was still almost totally blocked by that red lily. If I can figure out how to post pictures here I will show you what I mean.

This happened to me. I was stuck with getting 3 fossils a day for months until after the Bunny day when the game finally decided to give me four. I don't need them anymore though.

This has happened at least once in every ACNL game I have played - the dreaded day when you can't find one of your fossil spots in your town. I am going on my third day now of just finding 3 fossils even though I have gone over my town with a fine toothed comb a couple of times a day. I am obviously missing it somewhere though. Refresh my memory... are there notoriously hidden spots where you have had trouble seeing the fossil stars on the ground? I have pushed the up pad behind all the houses and trees, and made a special effort to look behind the bushes. Is it possible that it can be covered by something like a new PWP? aarughhh.

I feel your pain. Aggravatin', ain't it?

Hi, don't know if any of you know or would like to use this tip. If you don't want or need to dig fossils anymore (which I don't because my museum is full, I don't want any more miniatures and I don't need the bells from the fossils) just bury any four fossils somewhere in town (I put them behind the town hall...hardly ever see them there). No more will spawn in your town! Same with pitfall seeds.

In case anybody is unaware, a fossil will re-tail for 100 bells but, once assessed, they sell for 2000+- and up. That, to me, makes the shoveling worthwhile long after the museum is complete in that category. P.S. Winter and snow on the ground sure makes those sneaky buggers easier to spot.

Last edited:
I know how you feel bro :( what i did was cover my town in paths! (It stopped pesky villager move-ins too!)

I don't need fossils anymore but for some reason I really like finding them every day. Except that Evil 4th one, lol.

Back