• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Are you afraid of becoming your parents?

yes, my mother is too weak, as is my dad

and my dad is homophobic and racist

so i do fear becoming them

No, I don't. I'm my own person. A lot of people say I am similar to my mother in some ways, and similar to my dad in other ways. I don't really know who I favour anymore, but I think I'm a bit of an odd one out anyway. I've always been a lot more independent minded and followed my own path, maybe that's because the world is different now to what it was like when my parents were my age, but I'm going to be living in and experiencing totally different things and circumstances to my parents. Likewise, there's minor genetic features I'll probably inherit more so as I grow older, but I don't want it to affect me too much. I'm my own person so ultimately it's my choice in life how I turn out. :') (but I mean there's nothing from my parents I'd not want to inherit, besides bad traits but that's natural)

Last edited:
Nope. I'm sure I'll be nothing like my mom even though we have a lot in common and I never met my dad but I don't think we're that alike.

I'm not afraid of it, I can see both of my parents' flaws very clearly, and that's enough for me to ensure that I don't become like them, and so far it's been a success. When I think about it, I'm hardly like either of my parents which is kind of odd, though I guess I do have my dad's stubbornness sometimes. My dad isn't a very good parent and thinks more of himself than others and thankfully I'm the polar opposite of that.

My mom is a very hardworking and selfless person. She'll do anything for my siblings and I but she isn't very successful career and financial-wise. Her dad was a very abusive man and he forced her out of high school to take care of her younger siblings. It's sad because my mom had dreams of becoming a heart surgeon and she was never able to do that because of her abusive parents. I know it's not her fault but I don't want to live off of a bunch of small jobs and stress about living paycheck to paycheck. I want to have a successful career and make enough money to live comfortably.

I'm not worried about becoming them. I know I couldn't be them. However, I do worry about the effects of them on me and if I'll be able to be more than what they conditioned me to be.

I came from a toxic home among other things but I won't really go into specifics. They aren't in my life anymore and I think just the fact that I want to work on myself and understand the things I went through shows that I'll be taking a healthier path.

I am, but in a medical sense. I know I'm not going to adopt any negative or harmful traits/habits/behaviors from them, simply because we're so different that nothing they say is hardly in agreement with me nowadays. But my dad's side of the family has mostly died before the age of 55; heart problems, cancer, etc. runs through his side. I'm afraid my mom's developing Alzheimer's at an early age, so I'm quite worried about getting that as well.

As far as personality wise, I don't think there's any chance of that happening to me.

If I ever become abusive physically or sexually to my children I will shoot myself right away

My parents have a lot of issues, but they all stem from being raised in the 60s. I have a lot of issues because of the way my parents neglected me etc, but I don't have the same issues as them because their parents were a whole other caliber. I'm already so much more patient and loving than they ever were and I'm not even an adult yet, so I don't fear becoming like them.

Back