• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

The possible effect of a one-species town?

Spooky.

Lonely Heart
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Holiday Candy Cane 2021
Black Famous Mushroom
New Horizons Token
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Mint
Blue Candy
Green Candy
Leif
Poptart Easter Egg
So for almost two years, I had an all cat town. While I loved my villagers, I ended up resetting because in all that time, I had gotten maybe...5 pwp requests. In two years. So I reset, wondering if the town itself was glitched somehow.

I redid my whole town, and went through the process of getting all my beloved cat villagers back. However, after having this town for a couple months and building high friendships with my villagers...again, no pwp requests. I get plenty of move-out requests and nickname/catchphrase requests...no pwps at all.

So it's got me thinking...could this actually be caused by having a single species town? Most of my villagers are different personalities, yet nothing.

Do any of you have any experience with same species towns? If so, does this happen to you?

If not, I'm starting to wonder if it's a glitch in the game cart itself somehow. I don't have this issue at all in my other two towns with a variety of villager species, so I'm growing pretty suspicious (and upset, frankly.)

I have an all-rabbit town and I haven't noticed a lack of PWP requests. I also made sure I had at least one of every personality type to make sure I didn't miss out on possible requests.

I have three single species towns and I've received what I consider a normal amount of PWP requests.I've even received a decent amount of requests in my duck town which doesn't have any cranky or uchi villagers.

Were you still regularly building PWPs? I am working on a new town and every single time I build a new PWP, I get a request for a PWP, without fail.

However, I do have different species of animals, but I don't have all different personalitys (currently no jock or smug)

it might be coincidental, but i came fairly close to achieving an all cat town about a year ago myself (i just needed three or four more at the time i think) and i sort of noticed a lack of pwp requests? i want to blame it on my lack of actively trying to find them, though, and at the time i wasn't exactly aware of the diving trick either, but maybe the personalities had something to do with it too (a mix of snooty and lazy villagers only) :eek:

it might be coincidental, but i came fairly close to achieving an all cat town about a year ago myself (i just needed three or four more at the time i think) and i sort of noticed a lack of pwp requests? i want to blame it on my lack of actively trying to find them, though, and at the time i wasn't exactly aware of the diving trick either, but maybe the personalities had something to do with it too (a mix of snooty and lazy villagers only) :eek:

I wonder then if it's an issue with cat villagers specifically? If that's the case it's pretty upsetting to me. I'm a huge cat person which is why I wanted an all cat town, but it's very very hard to make my town look nice when I don't have any pwps to do so with.

Maybe you can switch to a multi species town until you are happy with your PWPs and then switch back to all cats. (I love cats IRL too)

Maybe you can switch to a multi species town until you are happy with your PWPs and then switch back to all cats. (I love cats IRL too)

I thought of that, but I don't have it in me to cycle through 16 for many of them either. Some of them I also paid quite a bit of tbt to acquire, so I'm hesitant to. I might just try and suck it up and work with landscaping with bushes/flowers/clovers and QR codes instead.

I wonder then if it's an issue with cat villagers specifically? If that's the case it's pretty upsetting to me. I'm a huge cat person which is why I wanted an all cat town, but it's very very hard to make my town look nice when I don't have any pwps to do so with.

i wonder that too, i'd like to try and get a full town one of these days to see if anything similar might happen again... there are some days when i feel like i don't get any requests for pwps no matter what i do though, but i'm never really sure how random they are to get to begin with

It also seems to me that the frequency of requests is higher when there is a lot to do to fix up my town... like in the beginning of the game. When I am doing lots of planting, filling up the museum, etc. When I hit a plateau as far as the structure of the town it seems like the requests slow way down.

Last edited:
Logically I just can't see that an all cat (or other one species town) could/would effect PWP requests.
Personality types yes but villager species I would be very reluctant to say it has any bearing.

So I would do as others suggest, building a PWP tends to kick start other PWP requests. Take every ping that comes the Mayor's way, even if inconvenient or carrying rares and maybe do the diving trick.
I sometimes go a while with no PWP requests.

I never get pwp requests, but it might be because I have a lot of cranky villagers. Do your cats have a variety of personalities?

A weird thing I noticed is that if I change something on my house exterior like a mailbox or wall, I tend to get a pwp request. It works even if I do it to an alt character. The problem is I like my house exteriors now so I don't want to try changing them again. It takes forever to get the fun ones back.

I also have two all same species towns (bear and deer) and also have not lacked for pup requests. That is quite odd, but I honestly doubt it has anything to do with it. I do have a few towns in which the pup requests aren't as many as I would like, but I just persevere. It will happen eventually!

Oh, wow. I have an all cat town, but I made sure I put Marshal in there so I'd have a Smug character. I've had my town for like 4-5 years now? I still don't have anywhere near all the PWPs.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Certain character types unlock different PWPs, but I'm sure you already know that.

I believe besides the different character types requirements for different PwP unlocks, there are other criteria needed to get new PwPs requests, like for every few PwP requests you get, you need to build one or two of those PwPs before new ones will be asked for.

Just like bridges, if you want to unlock all the different types of bridges, you should not have more than two bridges in your town. If you have three bridges in your town, the villagers will never request for a new bridge type.

When I first played the game, i concentrated on unlocking all PwPs before going into the villager types. In fact, that time I didn't even know that certain character types are needed for certain PwPs. I just TT'ed a lot, built and demolished many PwPs along the way and in a very short time, I managed to unlock all PwPs.

Last edited:
mmm No. I have an all cat town (+Marshal) and only have 5 or so pwp left to unlock, all that matters is the personality not the species, google acnl diving trick. thats how I got all my pwps, because god knows getting them randomly is extremely hard.

I've tried the diving trick and all sorts of things to help unlock them. I build many pwps and do a lot of work on my town and...nothing. I have a decent variety of personality types.

I have 2 lazy, 2 peppy, 2 normal, jock, cranky, and uchi. Really, smug and snooty are the only ones I'm missing. However, I want to replace 1 peppy with a snooty, and I have room for one more as well, but there is no smug cat villager.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, honestly. I just wonder if the game programmed the cats to have a poor pwp request rate.

Last edited:
I started making an all cat town four years ago, and I just completed it about a year or two ago and I haven't had any problems unlocking pwps. In fact, I have almost all of them except for six and that's only because they belong to uchis and smugs and I currently don't have either of those in my town.

I have the opposite problem in my second town. I have a very diverse town, but I barely get any requests.

I've thought it was the villager's personality that swayed the request of a PWP? Have you tried to do that? When I had my frog town, it was always the cranky villagers and Lily that kept asking for PWPs. Replace them if you want, to see if it gives you better chances of them asking.

Back