Sleek Train Car
Cute Train Car
Floral Train Car
Yellow Caboose
Crystal Tree
Lost Star Fragment 004.MB
Tockoid
Froggy Snowman
Has anyone ever gotten a painting from a villager that wasn't fake? Redd is in my town today and of course the one thing he has that I need is fake, typical. So I was really happy when Cherry stopped me and offered to sell me a painting(she charged more than Redd but I was happy to pay it). That is until I took it to Blathers and he pronounced it a fake!
I have had maybe one or two villagers sell me paintings in the past and as far as I remember they were fake every time. Is there any chance they might sell you a painting that isn't fake or should I just not ever buy one from them again? Is there a way to know before you buy it if it's fake(as I remember in past games you could tell if Redd was selling a fake by what he said to you). Thanks

PS They should've made it so if the painting was fake we could take it back to the villager, tell them what Blathers said and get our money back. Or at least make it where the personality of the villager would determine if we get all,some or none of our money back.

Last edited:
I actually did get a real painting from a villager once. I do t remember who is was though.

- - - Post Merge - - -

As far as I know there's no way to tell if they're real before buying or not from villagers. you just have to take the chance

Has anyone ever gotten a painting from a villager that wasn't fake? Redd is in my town today and of course the one thing he has that I need is fake, typical. So I was really happy when Cherry stopped me and offered to sell me a painting(she charged more than Redd but I was happy to pay it). That is until I took it to Blathers and he pronounced it a fake!
I have had maybe one or two villagers sell me paintings in the past and as far as I remember they were fake every time. Is there any chance they might sell you a painting that isn't fake or should I just not ever buy one from them again? Is there a way to know before you buy it if it's fake(as I remember in past games you could tell if Redd was selling a fake by what he said to you). Thanks

PS They should've made it so if the painting was fake we could take it back to the villager, tell them what Blathers said and get our money back. Or at least make it where the personality of the villager would determine if we get all,some or none of our money back.

I love your PS! When I first started playing I used to write them if it was fake. Haha! Nothing nasty, just sayin'.

Yes, I have gotten some real art at times. So it's a toss-up. But what else does my mayor have to spend his millions on? Maybe the villager needs the bells to send to their mom, or something. Where do they get bells, anyway? Oh, that would be another thread. Fact, there probably already is one!

Buy their art...it's kinda like an exciting grab-bag!

i think it's pretty random, but i've definitely gotten real paintings from villagers before! a few had been fairly cheap too

I've only have a real painting from a villager once. It was from Agnes but she did give me 2 fake painting before so it's really a toss-up. Each painting was 3000+ bells. Not that cheap but eh, bells are easy to come by anyways.

I had to pay Cherry 4,704 bells for that painting, but that doesn't bother me cause I have plenty of money and can easily make more. I just think it would be nice if they had some remorse for selling us forgeries, lol. Also the art section of my museum is the only one not full and I have a long way to go until it is and I don't see Redd much. It would've been nice to have one more off the list. Thanks for the responses.

I've gotten real art twice, from Phoebe and Deirdre. I was going to pay Phoebe, she asked for 4k and change, when I agreed, she just gave it to me for free. :)

Feng shui helps, particularly green & red (increases the chance of real art from villagers, source @Liquefy, walkthrough faq, gamefaqs).

Doesn't guarantee it tho, I have high feng shui & have had both real & fake art off villagers. At varying prices, have been asked for around 7k once, otherwise lower.

You do need to have bells showing (around 10k I suppose), I usually have under 1k & hence never get offered art at all. This thread reminds me how much I miss by not going around with approx. 10k showing. I'll rectify that.

I have a new town now and I had totally forgotten about them doing this. Then Lopez offered to sell me one. I was hesitant but since I had zero art I bought it. I was shocked it was real. I have since gotten 2 more paintings from him that were both real and after agreeing to buy them he wouldn't take my money and gave me them for free! He's awesome.
Maybe the feing shui is helping(I only have one room but I have the whole balloon series which does have green and red) who knows? Either way I'm happy.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I have a new town now and I had totally forgotten about them doing this. Then Lopez offered to sell me one. I was hesitant but since I had zero art I bought it. I was shocked it was real. I have since gotten 2 more paintings from him that were both real and after agreeing to buy them he wouldn't take my money and gave me them for free! He's awesome.
Maybe the feing shui is helping(I only have one room but I have the whole balloon series which does have green and red) who knows? Either way I'm happy.

I always turn down their kind offer to sell me a painting now. I used to, but they were always fake!

In my old town, Fang has always given me real paintings, and I had a high friendship with him. Snooties never gave me real ones, though, but I highly doubt it depends on the personality.

All three paintings I've gotten from Lobo were real. :) But Ruby had sold me a fake one... Guess I know who I can trust these days.

I've gotten plenty of real paintings from villagers. Bells aren't really a problem so I usually just buy them when they are selling. Sometimes they give them for free too. I do really like how some of the fakes look so I'm not too bothered by it either way.

I have actually bought two from my villagers within the last two weeks , and they were real! I didn't buy from red though...so I'm guessing thats why

I've gotten a few real paintings from Fang before! I think maybe one fake, but I didn't mind since he was very up front about not knowing if it was real or not. Deirdre has sold me more fake paintings than real ones, though.

I think at least half my paintings in my museum are all from my uchi and cranky villagers xD

I should give thanks to how lucky I am with art haha

I'm almost positive how it works is if they ask for way too much its fake and if the price is lower then it's real.

that being said i've gotten only a few real paintings from bones lol

Last edited:
One time, Shari brought me a legit painting. Maybe its for all the good things i gave her for such low prices in return.
Chief keeps selling me fake ones but i dont care, i just want to see his happy wolf face after we make the bargain. I tend to buy paintings from villagers just to see their reactions. Im rich so its not a problem.

Back