• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How wasteful are you?

watercolorwish

Happy🎃Halloween!
Apple 🍎
Lemon 🍋
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
4321-2546-0916
Pumpkin Pie
Tasty Cake
Kirby Easter Egg
Cake
Cake
How wasteful are you in terms of food? i die inside whenever i see someone throw away a half eaten piece of fruit or when we're out for dinner and one of my siblings leave things on their plate. get a to-go box, jeez. we don't even realize how fortunate we are sometimes. of course i forget too and throw away something but i'm trying to be more aware of that. be honest :D

I don't waste food at all.
Grew up being taught that a grain of rice is like a pearl... so not even a single grain left behind.

You kinda get that ingrained if your parents came from a place of famine. Where people hoarded too much rice that they rotted wastefully...

It's not just the food that's being wasted, but the efforts of those that farmed the produce too.

I only throw food away if it's rotten or if it's disgusting. If it's just cause I don't like it, I try to give it to someone else to finish. Food costs money and I don't have a lot of money to be wasting food.

It depends on the food tbh. I usually try to eat any of my leftovers before eating something else. I will throw food out if it's been sitting there too long and has gone stale. My general rule of thumb is, if I can't remember when it was made or last eaten, I throw it out. Otherwise, you risk getting food poisoning and no one likes that. Almost everyone else I live with has this bad habit or wanting to keep their leftovers but never eating them and taking up space. It drives me crazy. :)

I hate wasting food. I'd rather get sick from overeating than waste it or go hungry before buying something I won't eat.

People are going hungry all over the world. People who waste food pissed me off.

more than I'd like to admit, but! I'm trying to change that by either finishing everything I eat or wrapping it up for later

kind of wasteful, where as my friend took a lollipop that i was about to through out, licked it, and threw it out

- - - Post Merge - - -

she didn't like the taste

When you've worked at a restaurant and seen the amount of food that gets thrown away by businesses, you stop sweating the odd piece of fruit or unappetizing left over because you realize that no amount of waste your household or all the households on your street could produce will ever even hold a candle to the waste created by industry so yeah.

Since I like to give advice I'll leave this here:

If you're finding you're throwing out a lot of food try planning your meals for the week. Include snacks, side items and whatever. It sounds lame but if you follow a strict plan you will not waste food.

If you eat out a lot and know you will no matter what, buy very little fresh food for around the home. It's so easy to think "I'll make my own tacos Wednesday night" only to go out and waste the fresh food at home. Know your eating habits and plan accordingly.

Not very much, I'll finish everything on my plate even if i don't like it. especially if someone cooked/bought the food for me, as i think not wanting to eat/finish the food someone bought or made for you is disrespectful.

I try my best not to waste food but my problem is that I normally eat small portions, so if I'm served something that has way too much, then I'll usually leave a bit. I always feel bad about it when our plates are taken away since it feels rude in addition to being wasteful, but sometimes it can't be helped.

At home things are obviously much more regulated, and we tend to keep plenty of leftovers around in the freezer for another night.

I can't stand people wasting food either. Especially if their reason is some kind of vanity diet where they always leave food on their plate. My dad grew up in a generation where food was much more scarce and there was no running water etc. so he definitely instilled that attitude in me.

When you've worked at a restaurant and seen the amount of food that gets thrown away by businesses, you stop sweating the odd piece of fruit or unappetizing left over because you realize that no amount of waste your household or all the households on your street could produce will ever even hold a candle to the waste created by industry so yeah.

That's really gut wrenching to me. And I know grocery stores are probably worse. It's pretty bad.

I try not to take what I won't eat, especially if it's something I won't be able to save leftovers from. The only times I waste food is if I try something new and I -really- hate it or is if something comes up and I just have no choice to.

I try not to be wasteful, but I also try not to freak out about it. I'm poor, so I can't really afford to be that wasteful, but I don't beat myself up when I put some leftovers in the fridge and it goes bad or whatever. Ultimately, while I think being as un-wasteful as possible is a good goal to have, fighting against major corporations and the amount of pollution they contribute to the world is probably going to have a MUCH bigger impact on the environment.

For the most part no unless I?m really full then I would just eat everything on top of the slice of pizza but not the crust(including bottom).

I'm not wasteful when it comes to food or much else.

With food if I have left overs they will be get eaten, i don't buy things then never try them or throw them out, and if I do end up with a lot more than I need and won't use some things it's given to someone who will or donated to people who need it.

With other things I gave up plastic a long time ago and recycle as much as I can. I hate waste, it's so bad for the planet and it's sad because it's usually very avoidable.

I’m not wasteful at all. I recycle everything that can be recycled, and I don’t own a car or pay for gasoline, so I’m not contributing to global warming like the uneducated masses do.

Last edited:
I mean unless there's something truly wrong with it or it's something I don't like (mushrooms), I'll generally eat everything I get

I also don't buy a ton of food at any time either, so I generally don't have to worry about it spoiling either

Back