• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Brush Your Teeth Before or After Breakfast?

I've always brushed em after my breakfast. Don't really see the point in brushing your teeth, only to eat a meal immediately afterwards.

I hate brushing my teeth in the mornings; Either I'm saddled with a mildly upset stomach if I brush before eating, or a gross, overly mint-y mouth after eating.

The only way I've found that doesn't bug me as much is brushing in the shower, which almost always happens in the evening or whenever I get off work.

I'd honestly love to be one of those people that brushes their teeth twice a day like a ~proper adult~, but I'm currently managing depression on my own, so maintaining even the most basic level of hygiene is a huge accomplishment for me right now. lol

(On the bright side, I'm a hardcore OCD mysophobic, so brushing my teeth is really the only thing I'm actually capable of slacking off on. Otherwise I get too freaky about germs)

Last edited:
We can resolve this arguement by brushing your teeth before eating breakfast AND after eating breakfast. Simple, right?

It's good to brush your teeth before breakfast because not only does it get all of the cavity-causing bacteria and plaque off of your teeth (which grew in over-night, even if you brushed your teeth the night before), but also because I seriously doubt that you guys brush your teeth 30 minutes after you eat, and because you don't wait that length, you're slowly destroying your enamel and making it easier to get cavities.

Also, if you drink an acidic fruit drink during breakfast, like orange juice, and you brush your teeth, you're brushing acid around every crevice your toothbrush can reach, and that isn't good at all.

If you care about fresh breath then chew some xylitol gum after eating. Not only is it better for your teeth, but it keeps your breath in check.

It usually depends on whether or not I remembered to brush my teeth before falling asleep, which I always TRY to do but sometimes I just completely fall deep asleep.
If I remember to, I brush after, if I forget to, I brush before.

i mostly do it after but i prefer doing it before. i hate brushing out all the bits stuck in my teeth

I have to before. You'd think the taste of the toothpaste would ruin my breakfast, but I'm at risk of throwing up when I brush and all the gunk stuck in my teeth from breakfast gets swished around in my mouth *shudders*

You're supposed to brush after though.

Last edited:
I don't understand how you guys can always do after? When I commute to my college campus, I eat a nice breakfast there, so I can't really go back home and brush lol. Same with being in high school, waking up, and going downstairs to eat breakfast. I didn't know people went all the way back upstairs/to their room after eating breakfast in the morning.

Last edited:
Jokes on you, I don't eat breakfast.

Lol, I didn't mean to sound mean. I just never knew it was so much more common to do it after.
and I eat breakfast at my college campus like like an hour after I brush my teeth so it doesn't really make a difference

Last edited:
After breakfast, at the very end of the day actually

I prefer brushing my teeth after breakfast. And after each meal actually. It's better to brush your teeth after you eat something because the brushing becomes more effective. I really care about my teeth and try to use only natural teeth care products. Even my bamboo toothbrush is fully organic. I don't like using plastic stuff because it's not good for enviroment.
91WUXb9hv8L._SX522_.jpg

In the morning and before I sleep, I usually eat one big meal a day.

Back