• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

🐝 Bee Appreciation Thread 🐝

as much as i want to be nice and appreciate bees for what they are, i can't. i wish i was more caring to all bugs but its impossible to find love for them because they just freak me out too much. of course i wouldn't go out of my way to kill one especially if it left me alone but if its being annoying i will shoo it away/kill it. i appreciate what they do and everything but im just a baby. sorry bees i love you and what you do but im terrified of you. i wonder what it feels like to not mind bugs, it must feel like a much more open and exciting world because i'm too afraid to even lay in the grass

Same, I'm really fearful of any insect. I like the idea of gardening but all the bugs potentially showing up freaks me out. x_x I know bees mean no harm but I get really nervous if one accidentally comes into my place. They're important so I try my best to lead it out or get someone else to free it while I hide.

Don't kill bees, y'all. They're one of the only good bugs around. Wasps can get out & be extinct for good.

Last edited:
Honey bees are adorable to be honest. Most insects I find disgusting and vile, but I've come to appreciate bees lately. They're cute and fuzzy looking. I don't even run away from them anymore, because they don't even sting you unless they think you're going to attack them.

Yeah bees can be pretty cute, I try not to bother them too much or get into their territory during their mating seasons though because even just walking by their nest can be enough for the bee guards to sting youu

Might just be me speaking as a vegan, but I believe that all creatures of all shapes and sizes should be given the opportunity to live without human intervention, and I think they should all be treated with the same amount of respect you'd treat a human, because they are all alive and they all have a purpose of some kind.

I feel like the worth of animals is always measured by how they can be beneficial to us, and that's such a dumb concept to start with. They can't help how they look.

I'm one of those people who are absolutely terrified of bugs, and yet even I LOVE bees. They're not actually agressive unless you directly go and torment them (unlike wasps who can and will go after you with their stinger if you so much as look at them funny, those bastards), they're VITAL for the environment, they make honey (which is like the best thing on this earth), and they're fuzzy and yellow. What's not to love.

I actually noticed I've started accumulating bee-themed stuff recently. It's sorta become the new popular thing, kinda like owls were a few years ago and I'm 100% on board with it.

Same, I'm really fearful of any insect. I like the idea of gardening but all the bugs potentially showing up freaks me out.

I know what you mean. I practically BEGGED my mom not to plant lavender in our garden just because it attracts bees like crazy. Like I said I appreciate them for the good they do and I try not to harm them, but I still wouldn't feel confident just walking through a place that's full of them. I just. Don't like things buzzing around me.

Last edited:
Yeah. Even close up, they're one of the least ugly bugs. Even if you're worried about stings, basic ***** bees, or yellowjackets, whatever, barely hurt. I see no reason to be scared of them unless you're allergic.

Beehives are amazing, too. They're so interesting. I wonder what it'd be like inside of one (without splitting it open like a watermelon), fully-functioning. I particularly like any creature that builds homes or nests.

bumblebees r adorable
honeybees r good souls
bees r too near wasp to be loved
wasps no way hos?

I love bees and always make an effort to help them out if they get trapped inside! They're so sweet and fuzzy, you can't hate them!

Honestly, wasps though, terrify me. One of them stung me on my hand when I was wearing a glove! Their crazy and evil.

Nah I don't think they're cute

I used to be more frightened of them as a kid but tbh they're quite tolerant

I'll stay the f r i c k away from wasps though

Not cute, but they need to be overlooked. They are not there to sting people. Plus, they are being killed. One reason was when they were killing Mosquitoes due to Zika spread, but it was killing bees as well.

We need bees for pollen.

Alright, 10,000 posts!

Last edited:
Absolutely! Bees are absolutely precious, especially carpenter bees.

I would like to point out that, contrary to popular belief, wasps are just as important as bees. They aren't quite as effective as bees are at pollinating, but there are some plant species that would probably go extinct without them. In particular, figs rely upon wasps

What makes wasps truly important to the ecosystem is their function in controlling pests. Most pest insect species are preyed on by one wasp species or another. Also, a lot of wasp species are generalist predators, which means that they prey on a variety of species, so they're not as likely to hunt any one kind of critter to extinction. Some wasps even prey on predator species, which keeps them from wiping their prey out.

In short, wasps are just as cool and important as bees, and they need the same kind of good PR.

Absolutely! Bees are absolutely precious, especially carpenter bees.

I would like to point out that, contrary to popular belief, wasps are just as important as bees. They aren't quite as effective as bees are at pollinating, but there are some plant species that would probably go extinct without them. In particular, figs rely upon wasps

What makes wasps truly important to the ecosystem is their function in controlling pests. Most pest insect species are preyed on by one wasp species or another. Also, a lot of wasp species are generalist predators, which means that they prey on a variety of species, so they're not as likely to hunt any one kind of critter to extinction. Some wasps even prey on predator species, which keeps them from wiping their prey out.

In short, wasps are just as cool and important as bees, and they need the same kind of good PR.

The only thing I dislike about wasps are how aggressive they are, I appreciate them all the same but....ouch!

Back