Debate time - hacked items?

I also bought a Powersave awhile back, but that was mainly because my hubby's first town had recently corrupted and I wanted to be able to create backup saves in case something similar happened to one of mine.

Having said that, I don't see the big deal in using it to get impossible to obtain items, like all of the region specific DLC. It's my game and I'll play it however the hell I want. Do I think it's messed up for people to hack in items and then charge others for it? You bet! But beyond that, I really don't see the big deal.

Last edited:
I don't mind what anyone does with their own game. Your game, your time, your choice. Fine.

I'm not a fan of trading hacked items though, especially if it's not made clear when items are hacked.

if you've purchased/traded ac items before, chances are you've landed at least one hacked item. i'm not a purist when it comes to animal crossing. like if i want something, i couldn't care less if it came from "legit" sources or if it were hacked, because all items except for the flowers work the same, and unlike people believe, they shouldn't corrupt your game. sure obtaining items naturally is appreciable, but i see way more positives from selling hacked items than negatives. and, you know, they're pixels...it's not that deep.

Last edited:
I have absolutely no issue with players who hack. That is their business and I hope they have fun playing the game in the manner in which they enjoy it to it's fullest. That is what playing games is about, having a wonderful time while you escape the real world for a few precious hours. I don't care how anyone else chooses to play your game because it is their game. If I judged anyone else's playing methods, I think it would mean I have a lot of extra downtime in which I should be doing something more productive.

Hacked items are no different from items that are legitimately obtained. They won't corrupt your save or seed your town. Just don't pick up any weird items that you don't recognize. I already know of one method that can get an item stuck in someone else's inventory (but don't worry, I would never use it!)

If I'm honest I'd probably hack to if I knew how to do it and wasn't scared of ruining my game. Acnl is not real life so why should I have to play as if it is? I don't mind receiving hacked items either, people for some reason give away bells on the island (had that happen 3 times) and that's certainly welcome :p :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am fine with hacked items because they don't hurt anyone, though buyers should be informed since some don't want anything to do with hacking. Overall, it's a decision left to the owner of the game. However, I am not a fan of overly hacked towns (plants on the town plaza, multiple town plaza trees, trees in the river or beach, etc.) and harmful bugs/glitches/seeds.

the homebrew acnl save editor method is better...

I don't think there is anything wrong with that! It's your choice.

I think people should play games however they see fit. Some people like to hack, some people would never consider it. Why not let each person decide for themselves?

*shrugs* It really is all down to personal preference on this one.
I'm okay with hacked. I hack a bit myself, so I don't see it as too big of a deal. I don't sell any of my hacked items, and I don't give away villagers unless I mention they're hacked.
As far as I know too... there's nearly no way to tell if something's hacked or not. Certain items, I suppose you can tell (flowers) but otherwise, it all seems the same to me.

I have no problem with hacked items/people who hack in ACNL. I've considered doing it myself but I'm worried it will ruin the game for me, personally; and I worry it might corrupt the file or whatever.

Like someone said earlier, hacking would be very useful to get those impossible-to-obtain items (region specific).

Besides items, I really would love to be able to place trees/shrubs exactly where I want. No gaps. Hacking would allow for that, but I dunno if I ever will.. maybe on my other ACNL copy someday.

Back