• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Things that you feel need more awareness

Weiland

Flick Fanboy 🦎💞
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
7046-6089-3415
What are some things you feel need more awareness?

For me it's a few mental illnesses, especially the ones I suffer from: schizotypal and schizoaffective. I feel those and a few personality disorders need more research put into them, as well as awareness.

Why some don't do well in school. Just saying "do more work" isn't going to help. Finding the root of the issue might.

In addition to this teaching proper sex ed. Let parents teach abstinence, teachers should teach actual real word practices so kids can protect themselves.

gastrointestinal illnesses such as chron's disease and ulcerative colitis.
I have the latter of the two and when it is flared up it can be pure hell. Thankfully I'm in remission at present moment. I feel like people don't talk about these things enough because the problems they cause are a bit tmi.

I think people need to realize that, scientifically, there is no reasons for humans to be attracted to the same gender. We have breeding instincts and that drives all those natural feelings and drive. There are quite a few different theories on why people are sexually attracted to people of the same sex. Here are a couple of theories:

a) The mind has just developed past these basic instincts and people are able to just focus on pleasure from whatever source they prefer.
b) There is a "gay gene" in your DNA. This is very unlikely according to research that we have so far.
c) People turn away from these instincts from being mentally abused in some way. For example, a women being abused sexually or mentally (such as being molested by a parent or uncle) might give them reason to not experience anything like that again, and rightly so.

There are a lot more theories.
I personally think it has to do with upbringing, a bit of a mixture of a and c. However I think humans tend to cling on to whoever they can as long as it brings them pleasure and security. That's my personal take on it, but if you want to have a discussion about it I love hearing others' POVs.

How crap sex ed is in school. It literally teaches you the bare basics.
More about mental illnesses. Telling a depressed person to be more happy isn't gonna help, believe it or not.
Minorities and how much they suffer in day to day life in some countries.
How much the food industry lies to us daily.
Women violence/rape against men. You always hear it the other way around so men get protrayed as criminals.
Consumerism and how companies feed on our insecurities to make money off us.
Emotional abuse and how seriously damaging it is the victims. Talk about any type of relationship that this can happen in.

Consensuality in relationships, people getting mentally abused by religion/their family forcing them into, art theft.

Oh boy, I'm worried about where this thread could go. Anyways, I definitely think that school systems should be teaching, children how to survive as adults by doing things like taxes and cooking INSTEAD OF LEARNING ABOUT HOW CELLS DIVIDE AND DINOSAURS DIED. Like, please, I know school is supposed to cover everything, but I have barely used any of my knowledge from grade school because I hav NEVER NEEDED IT.

its small compared to some problems that need attention but i don't like how gay people are represented in the media. its embarrassing and it sucks being treated differently than any other guy because of something you can't help. and its common for people expect you to live up to what gay people are like in media so when you don't, they get weirded out

Oh boy, I'm worried about where this thread could go. Anyways, I definitely think that school systems should be teaching, children how to survive as adults by doing things like taxes and cooking INSTEAD OF LEARNING ABOUT HOW CELLS DIVIDE AND DINOSAURS DIED. Like, please, I know school is supposed to cover everything, but I have barely used any of my knowledge from grade school because I hav NEVER NEEDED IT.

I feel like I remember more from my elementary school years than my high school years. High school taught me next to nothing. Seriously.

Which brings me to my next point about grammar. Oh my god, nobody seems to know even the basic grammar these days. It's embarrassing. I had to learn the difference between "its" and "it's" on my own because guess what? School didn't teach me that!

- - - Post Merge - - -

its small compared to some problems that need attention but i don't like how gay people are represented in the media. its embarrassing and it sucks being treated differently than any other guy because of something you can't help. and its common for people expect you to live up to what gay people are like in media so when you don't, they get weirded out

Yeah, busting stereotypes would be a good thing too. It's okay to know of stereotypes but it's harmful when you fully believe them.

Asian lives matter! I don't understand why affirmative action is a thing. Why do Asian-Americans have to score more points than an average white person on the SAT just to get into the same college. Race should not matter when applying for college. Everyone should have the same standards put on them no matter what race.

I wouldn't say "instead" rather "with" bc personally I think that they cover a wide range in grade school in order to tap into the child's potential like, where do you think this child will excel? Will he be a historian, a biologist, a mathematician, a writer, etc. etc.? Of course you wouldn't know that first hand unless you show the child all the possibilities and stuff. Plus, it's a good-to-know sometimes and a wider knowledge will help you understand the world better! That's the way I see it, and I only appreciated that now.

Also sometimes, weirdly enough, things you didn't know were connected actually are. Like, when I was in high school I really, really, really hated physics bc I kept on failing that. When I got to Uni majoring in Biology, I learned that I needed to take a class in physics in order to understand the rhythmic heartbeat and stuff and now I'm beyond annoyed bc I thought I was done with physics, man.

But it's true that they should teach us all about money and taxes and stuff!

Asides from major subjects in grade school, we also had one that was like home economics that taught us how to sew (they made us sew pajamas and pillow cases), how to earn a living (they had us sell snacks around the school) and how to cook (we had cooking contests in class!), so I guess that counts towards the school teaching us as children how to survive like adults.

I think people need to realize that, scientifically, there is no reasons for humans to be attracted to the same gender. We have breeding instincts and that drives all those natural feelings and drive. There are quite a few different theories on why people are sexually attracted to people of the same sex. Here are a couple of theories:

a) The mind has just developed past these basic instincts and people are able to just focus on pleasure from whatever source they prefer.
b) There is a "gay gene" in your DNA. This is very unlikely according to research that we have so far.
c) People turn away from these instincts from being mentally abused in some way. For example, a women being abused sexually or mentally (such as being molested by a parent or uncle) might give them reason to not experience anything like that again, and rightly so.

There are a lot more theories.
I personally think it has to do with upbringing, a bit of a mixture of a and c. However I think humans tend to cling on to whoever they can as long as it brings them pleasure and security. That's my personal take on it, but if you want to have a discussion about it I love hearing others' POVs.

Oh, science! (Also did you mean sex and not gender?)
I know of a few animals that are attracted to the same sex, one of which are female bonobos that have sex as a tactic to relieve stress (or something like that lol). Other animals such as several species of whiptail lizards are all female, which makes it really odd since they can breed!

The bonobos example isn't actually scientific but more on behavioral actually, but the case of the whiptail lizards, in which breeding is a scientific area, still astounds me o:

Last edited:
Gay men are literally being herded into concentration camps in Chechnya (Russia) right now and the world is silent!

Last edited:
Gay men are literally being herded into concentration camps in Chechnya (Russia) right now and the world is silent!

My fist literally just clinched when I read this, thank you for informing me.

Back