• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Corrupt Cartridge Worry

Mayor-of-Bliss

Bells
Hey everyone. I have a cartridge copy of acnl. Something worrying happened today.

I was rearranging furniture upstairs in my mayor's house and the whole room started flickering. Like turing on and off the light really fast. I tried changing the wallpaper. Moving furniture. Turning in and off the light. Going in different rooms. Nothing affected it.

Then I went outside and other things got worse from there. The retail door was black. The train station was see through to the train tracks. Some of my river quit loading the textured water. Harvey had no eyes/ see through middle of his head...

I saved and quit. (I went beetle hunting before.)
Reloaded and Isabelle greets me as ears, a tummy,legs and arms with everything else black.

I turned off my system, took out the cartridge blew everything off. Things are okay now but I've had my cartridge in my ds for months. Literally I never take it out.

Lately my island has been glitching a little a long with if I get too close to Kappins boat it'll glitch some but I've heard overall those are fairly normal.

I'm just worried it will happen again or my game is going to quit working?
I've tried looking it up online but I'm not finding anything...

I have some digital copies of games maybe I'm running out of room or something???

Short version: Lots of objects quit loading in my game and I'm worried what do I do?

It sounds like a great start to an animal crossing creepy pasta.

I would be worried too if my game was doing all of that.

In my town sometimes you see Trees with just one Fruit. That could be the next part of the creepypasta, but i don't know how anyone can be scared of a tree who just give 1 Fruit.

Anyway, i don't know if you (or me) should be worried about that. If that happen to you just once, maybe your game just Glitch a little.

Last edited:
has anything happened to the cartridge recently at all? like accidentally dropping it, washing it, bending it, etc

also how old is the game cartridge? just curious - i don't think not taking it out would matter, i tend to leave the same game cartridge in for months as well and nothing odd has ever happened

i'm not sure why those things would be happening but it doesn't sound like a memory issue, it sounds like something may be wrong with the game itself :( i don't know how exactly you could fix that either besides getting a new game if the one you have stops working... but hopefully it won't! do share if anything else weird happens

this means your connectors on your 3ds cartridge are broken, or not working properly because of dust! try taking a very lightly damp flannel and gently rubbing over the black and gold parts to remove any corrosion or dust, then try again. if this doesn't work, the insides are broken rather than the connectors themselves, and so you're going to have to get a new cartridge.

Thank you all for the replies. :) I thought it would been a great creepy pasta but not very fun on my actual card. o_O It's been okay all morning since I blew everything off so it was probably a connector issue. The cartridge isn't very old three years maybe? Just to be safe I deleted some things from my ds and got rid of a ton of items between my four players. It was probably the connectors since turning it on and off made it worse until I cleaned it... It was all very strange and frightening given it was like 10:30pm XD I will update if anything else odd happens. Hopefully not. o_O

If it happens again, try getting one of those cans of compressed air used for cleaning in small spaces. That's what my grandfather did, and what I continue to do, for all my games and systems (GBA, 3DS, Wii, Xbox 360, and Xbox One). I've never had a problem. They usually come with a little, skinny straw you attach to the end of the can, so that you can direct where the air blows and really get in to the little crevices. I've found it gets out more dust and dirt than just blowing or using a cloth does. :)

I'd check for dust and all as well. Do you play any other games? You could see if these things happen with other games to figure out if it's the game or your DS in general.

That aside, you should write a creepypasta about this. "The day New Leaf went dark"

I would love to use canned air but I don't have any. I'm actually moving in a month and being flammable it wouldn't get moved...Kind of a waste.
I would check with other games but it's my only physical game right now hah hah. I gave a bunch to a friend going through a rough time.

It did the akward flashing thing upstairs again. But retail and the train station didn't glitch so I just saved and quit. I changed the wallpaper and floor to a different one (it was a tatami plank flooring and modern screen). And put all my bonsai on tables (not the floor). Removed the welcome amiibo items from Harvey's I bought. And took down a wall lamp I had over a window. (I think maybe that could've started it if it's a load of issue doubtful I know). I also had an egg basket on the floor (with the akward 9 zippers pics I got for egg day man, something's up with that). So far so good. I also removed some gyriods downstairs because seriously, you know those gyriods aren't helping.
Oh I cleaned out my alt with 50+ music boxes and K.K. albums too. Along with cleaning our all our characters dressers/storage (it took forever...)

Ironic because my town is a kind of "dark" forest town. I'm pretty sure my mayor's upstairs is haunted at this point but not by wisp.

- - - Post Merge - - -

If it keeps up I probably will write a creepypasta honestly. Uhg. If my town is lost though I'm going to be devastated.

You should make a save data backup of your town. Doing this will ensure you have a backup to move back into if you need to get a new cartridge so your town will not be lost.

Before the update something happened to my mayor's mail in my main town - the glitch would let me play but I could never get or send mail. I was so scared of losing that town - glitches are no fun!

----------------------

FYI if you think it is a cartridge issue - if you buy the new "New Leaf Welcome Amiibo" cartridge you are given the option from Rover to move your entire town to the new cartridge.

I did this with my cycling town that had major wear. Worked great!

Make sure it is the new packaging because this feature is only on the new ones. Good luck!

Dirty contacts. Saving is a stupid idea in that situation.

if you buy the new "New Leaf Welcome Amiibo" cartridge you are given the option from Rover to move your entire town to the new cartridge.

I did this with my cycling town that had major wear. Worked great!

Make sure it is the new packaging because this feature is only on the new ones. Good luck!

You mean it doesn't work if using an updated copy of the older copies? And what about digital?

Back