United airlines

tybalt_cake

heavymetallover
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Lobo
As some of you may know , some days ago a man got kicked off from the airplane of the company "United Airlines" :
This is the best video i could find on Youtube , im sorry.
This is caused due to the a new system of United Airlines :
In the following system , to keep it short , if someone who payed more for a flight doesn't has any seat , they will choose and kick a passenger that payed less for their flight.

What are your thoughts on this? In my opinion , this is horrible . Its incredible how its 2017 and discrimination somehow exists , especially on big companies like this one. And its a shame these people kick other people who payed for their flight . Even if they payed a minimal price for it , they still payed for it.

Shame on you , United Airlines.

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna be sick... I can't watch this...

Its about time someone posts this. I can't believe they did that to that man.

That's a horrible thing to do to another human being, and I definitely won't being flying on their airlines.

Do they get their money back?

Even if they do, that is still unfair. Passengers should be served on a first come, first serve basis. It's not an auction.

Do they get their money back?

Even if they do, that is still unfair. Passengers should be served on a first come, first serve basis. It's not an auction.

Ah, shoot. I hope this merges...

Last edited:
Obviously I am appalled and without words as to how disgusting this was. United is apparently losing billions and I'm glad. There is nothing they could possibly do to erase something like this.

I do however want to mention some key points for others who may know less to base their opinions around:

Story based:
- His name is David Dao.
- He refused to leave his seat because he had patients to see the very next morning
- After hearing he was a doctor, several passengers including a couple offered their seats and were DENIED, and Dao was targeted and dragged regardless.
- When he returned he was beaten so badly he was BEGGING FOR DEATH.
- To those who have heard he may have a "shady past": The airline did not know this. No one knew this until after the video went viral. It is irrelevant and does not justify his treatment regardless.
- In the end the flight wasn't even overbooked

Legal wise:
- Legally, airline officials and police offers are not allowed to board a plane unless 1. a passenger is endangering other passengers or 2. a passenger is causing a disruption. Dao was doing neither.
- Airline rules state that a passenger may be denied boarding a flight due to overboarding but DOES NOT state that they can do so after everyone has been boarded.

Evidently it's easy for a terrorist to get onto a plane as long as they're wearing a vest with 'police' written on the back...

Imagine whoever ends up sitting in that seat. Think they knew that buying a plane ticket would cause a guy to get brutalised and thrown off?

Imagine whoever ends up sitting in that seat. Think they knew that buying a plane ticket would cause a guy to get brutalised and thrown off?

It wasn't for a random passenger, it was for their own crew which makes it even worse. They threw a guy off on purpose for one of their own, which isn't even allowed.

Also worth posting, quote from Charles Leocha, a member of the Department of Transporation's Advisory Committee for Aviation Consumer Protections:

United made a very selfish choice overbooking but it's not an uncommon practice.And while I disagree with removing a paying passenger to get an employee on the plane, it's up to United to decide what they think is the most cost effective course of action.

I didn't know this guy paid less for his seat than anyone else. However if a flight asks you to get off and offers you compensation, just get off. Throwing a fit and refusing causes stuff like this to happen. I'm pretty sure the airline legally would've had to offer this guy a considerable amount to give up his seat, but by fighting and refusing I don't know what will hapeen.

I mean I get it - flying is stressful, but at the end of the day passengers usually do have in their contact that the ticket isn't a guaranty for the specific flight. And at the end of the day the plane is property of the company and refusing to leave when told is trespassing.

In short both United and the passenger made poor choices. It sucks fit the passenger that he had to make this choice, but it was probably in the fine print when he purchased his ticket and he wouldn't have been injured if he didn't technically tresspass.

United made a very selfish choice overbooking but it's not an uncommon practice.And while I disagree with removing a paying passenger to get an employee on the plane, it's up to United to decide what they think is the most cost effective course of action.

I didn't know this guy paid less for his seat than anyone else. However if a flight asks you to get off and offers you compensation, just get off. Throwing a fit and refusing causes stuff like this to happen. I'm pretty sure the airline legally would've had to offer this guy a considerable amount to give up his seat, but by fighting and refusing I don't know what will hapeen.

I mean I get it - flying is stressful, but at the end of the day passengers usually do have in their contact that the ticket isn't a guaranty for the specific flight. And at the end of the day the plane is property of the company and refusing to leave when told is trespassing.

In short both United and the passenger made poor choices. It sucks fit the passenger that he had to make this choice, but it was probably in the fine print when he purchased his ticket and he wouldn't have been injured if he didn't technically tresspass.

He did not throw a fit. He said "I'm sorry, I can't leave. I have patients to see in the morning." and then was immediately thrown to the ground.

I may be misinformed but am I correct in thinking that the seat being taken from the victim was a seat going towards a United Airlines employee so they could go for free?

Also, when passengers are asked to leave flights due to overboarding, they are usually compensating. From what I've read, United Airlines offered him up to $800-$1000 dollars. This isn't much considering he is a physician and was going to see a patient in a different area by flight.

It doesn't matter who the flight was for or who paid more than the other. The way overboarding works is to fill in seats, as people on airlines often don't show up for their actual flight. However, the practice doesn't work all the time and people, often late buyers, economy flyers or air miles paying flyers are the ones asked to leave, and they are granted compensation. HOWEVER, assault is, obviously, illegal, making this all the more disgusting. Sure, the airlines are making more money, but now your airline company is under fire and your stocks are dropping rapidly. Big price to pay for a little bit of money.

Hoping I'm not misinformed.

If I remember correctly, the CEO released a statement to all of the employees, stating that he completely stands by them on what they did.

He did not throw a fit. He said "I'm sorry, I can't leave. I have patients to see in the morning." and then was immediately thrown to the ground.

From my understanding he threw enough of a fit/was so stubborn in refusing to leave that not one but three police officers were called to remove him.

I'm not saying I agree with the choice the airline made. I definitely think if other passengers chose to give up their seats to let this guy stay on they should've gone that route instead.

But I still think that once someone asks someone else leave their property, refusing to do so is technically trespassing. Not worthy of assault necessarily, but if someone trespasses and absolutely refuses to comply, there should be consequences of that.

Also, when passengers are asked to leave flights due to overboarding, they are usually compensating. From what I've read, United Airlines offered him up to $800-$1000 dollars.

vouchers aren't real money

also I'm just going to leave this thread here, since it's pretty on point for all the issues I have with this. both from the airline itself and aftermath

https://twitter.com/AnaMardoll/status/851812460487213057

Oh this incident, the subsequent "apologies" by the CEO, and some of the spectacularly gutter-level "reporting" has been making my blood boil.

I have seen the video footage from two different angles. I have read upwards of 3 dozen articles and thousands of comments. I have currently got about 6 tabs open in my browser to look further into US airline regulations as my partner is about to fly there for work and we were seriously considering my joining him.

What. A. Mess.

Last edited:
And that has become another reason why I won't be riding a plane again. I'm already turned off by the TSA and the baggage checkers (which can steal from you), but after this, I'm gonna have to say, road trips rule!

From my understanding he threw enough of a fit/was so stubborn in refusing to leave that not one but three police officers were called to remove him.

I'm not saying I agree with the choice the airline made. I definitely think if other passengers chose to give up their seats to let this guy stay on they should've gone that route instead.

But I still think that once someone asks someone else leave their property, refusing to do so is technically trespassing. Not worthy of assault necessarily, but if someone trespasses and absolutely refuses to comply, there should be consequences of that.
Gonna say this but it sounds like your making a case. Towards the beating he took being the right thing to do. The only consequence should've not been what happened. If they really needed seats then why not move onto other seats when he refused? Also the airline didn't make the choice to treat him like that. The officers did.

I don't know if you intended to sound like your defending what happened. If not than it's my misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Gonna say this but it sounds like your making a case. Towards the beating he took being the right thing to do. The only consequence should've not been what happened. If they really needed seats then why not move onto other seats when he refused? Also the airline didn't make the choice to treat him like that. The officers did.

I don't know if you intended to sound like your defending what happened. If not than it's my misunderstanding.

I don't think anyone ever deserves to be hurt. However, I also don't support people willfully breaking contacts because they feel entitled to do so. It's unfortunate that this situation came to blows, but if the contract he signed when purchasing the tickets, probably fine print but in writing nonetheless, stated that his ticket purchase did not ensure him a seat on the plane, then he was willfully trespassing. If someone is trespassing on your property, I don't expect you to do nothing and just let it happen either. That's why I'm saying it's, as far as I can tell, the fault of both parties. From what I read most airline tickets don't guaranty you a seat and legally can be exchanged for vouchers and a ride on a later flight. And while that might not be 100% consumer friendly, if it's the law then it should, until changed, be begrudgingly followed. We can't have a land where people follow whatever laws they feel is right, because what's right to you and me might be considered punishable by death to someone else. I'm being a little extreme but depending on where you are in the world some seemingly nonsensical laws are punishable by death.

Back