13 Reasons Why Thread

New Leaf Lover <3

Weirdo <333
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Who has been watching 13 reasons why on Netflix and what episode are you on? Its one of my favorite shows right now! What do you think of it :confused:

I know it's an unpopular opinion but I thought the book was problematic. I tried watching one episode and I don't think the series is much better.

I don't know anything about the show but I came to drop a meme I made.

1PSHzXy.png

i think it's pretty good! i've never read the book, but from what i've heard it's pretty far from the events in the novel. i watched the show over the course of 3 or 4 days. kinda hoping there's going to be a season 2!

every girl in my school watches that. when i walk into study hall they all have their ipads turned around so the teacher cant see and just binge that. i might watch it but i'm not a fan of TV shows. however you guys have piqued my interest with the book!

Okay so , there is a kinda friend like who loves that show and i saw the trailer of the show and honestly i loved it , i might watch it on my spring break :blush:

It's SO GOOD! I'm obsessed. Such a realistic show! I love how they go over all of the sensitive subjects that we really need to see as a society.

I have experience within my own life and those of my friends with some of the feelings and thoughts the story deals with, like a lot of people. I do think the story means well - the intention is obviously to provide insight into situations through multiple different perspectives and provoke thought about a variety of serious behaviours and topics society badly needs more open dialogue on, and in my opinion so far it has handled these with a definite degree of realism and consideration without making characters seem like cardboard or token representation. Nonetheless, I find myself feeling like it's just too narrow in that it's still focused on that sort of upper/middle class, mostly white (think: the main two characters and their respective families) suburban universe that only actually represents a very small slice of the human experience, so to speak, and in this sense I think it can end up excluding some of the people who actually need media with protagonists depicting and exploring the issues the most. It can also fairly be accused of oversimplifying the complex issue of mental illness and instead seeming to pin Hannah's thoughts and feelings entirely on what is done to her, which I just do not think is fair, healthy or realistic, as much as it seems like they're trying to do it as some great big 'hey kids don't be mean to each other' warning sign - mental illness is much more than that and deserves more exploration than the show seems to have given it, despite how much it's running on. I do feel like they could have used the sheer number of screen hours to explore something more personal and complex in its handling of mental illness than the 'so-and-so did X to Y and A did B to me, now I'm isolated and miserable and it's all their fault' formula it seems to be running on so far.

I haven't read the book, but I might after I finish the series - I'm on episode ten at the moment. I'd definitely say that if you enjoy this show and what it tries to do, there is a series of autobiographical books that then got turned into a show here in the UK called My Mad Fat Diary, and while (owing to the original time period) it doesn't handle the specific aspects our generations face in bullying and the like with technology, it definitely offers the best portrayal I've seen so far of the experience of being a mentally ill teen/young adult who deals with traumatic experiences, and having that interact with the social minefield being that age sets up in its own right.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a particularly amazing show, but I definitely thought it was gripping (mostly because of the cliffhanger endings to episodes though). A lot of the major male characters are difficult to distinguish between because of their similar appearances and fairly underdeveloped personalities. That said, it was an easy enough watch and I got through it in a weekend so I can't really complain too much.

Great show, though I think the final episode was too open and if they continue with a second season they don't do the original material justice anymore.

It's definitely worth checking out, especially if you ever felt like you didn't matter. The last two episodes have extremely terrible and graphic scenes and might be hard to swallow, but even watching the episodes beforehand is good enough as there are always two timelines going on.

One shows the life of Hannah Baker, told by herself. The other shows her closest friend Clay trying to live through the aftermath.
The whole show is just so tragic. You want to root for the main character, but you know there's just no happy ending.

As someone who has had similiar thoughts as Hannah, hearing her talk about her life while seeing the reality of it is really eye-opening. Especially the second-to-last episode showcases how people actually think about Hannah and how much Hannah isolated herself by choice because her own perspective was incredibly flawed due to her depression.

It's just so hauntingly real and relatable and I understand why people might dislike the concept. But it is reality for a lot of teens.

i watched the entire thing and, looking back, it was really rubbish. the last episode triggered me lol (anyone who's watched that scene will know what i mean here). maybe it's because it upset me, but i think it was unnecessary and not amazingly realistic. obviously it's 'real' like "whoa so woke rn omg" but it's not realistic. obvs people kill themselves all the time, alllllll sorts of things happen to us everyday 'cause we suck. but it isn't realistic to the way things work.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Great show, though I think the final episode was too open and if they continue with a second season they don't do the original material justice anymore.

It's definitely worth checking out, especially if you ever felt like you didn't matter. The last two episodes have extremely terrible and graphic scenes and might be hard to swallow, but even watching the episodes beforehand is good enough as there are always two timelines going on.

One shows the life of Hannah Baker, told by herself. The other shows her closest friend Clay trying to live through the aftermath.
The whole show is just so tragic. You want to root for the main character, but you know there's just no happy ending.

It's just so hauntingly real and relatable and I understand why people might dislike the concept. But it is reality for a lot of teens.

Me too, I couldn't have said it any better.

The last episode really was too much. Even if they were trying to be real and make something relatable to teenagers, it really is too graphic. I'm someone who's never triggered unless it's close to experiencing the real thing, so watching that one scene I was a complete mess and out of control.

To be fair, I really did enjoy Clay's storyline. Midway, he goes through a crisis and I found that more relatable (personally) than Hannah's storyline.

I think I got through about half of the tapes and I came to the conclusion "she died for nothing, they've legally done nothing wrong". But thEN THE LAST FEW TAPES AND WHAT HAPPENED TO HER AND JESSICA.
I want an extra episode or two of the court proceedings against Bryce.

Apparently it was very triggering for some people and it glorifies suicide, so I don't plan on watching it.

I find the premise of the series a little... problematic, but with all the hype around the TV show, I might consider reading the book. (Since I'm doing a 2017 reading challenge anyway)

havent watched it and not going to because it doesnt interest me and i will probably just be annoyed + i dont think i need to see someone be sdsexually assaulted or bleed out in a bathtub , like im good. lol.

my biggest problem with the show is its fans and how it has been received. so many people are like "oh wow i totally understand how suicidal people feel and what it's like to go through [thing they dont understand what it's like to go thru]." no susan u arent depressed because you got sad when you watched titanic, and no you arent suicidal because you thought about what it is like to die once at 2 am

also i hate the attitude so many people have after watchign it?? like, it's a common attitude to habve when it comes to suicide and suicide prevention but with all the attention the series has gotten i feel like it is everywhere now which makes me want 2 mcfricking die lmao
what im talking about is ppl who say stuff like this: "i know it seems hopeless now but i want everyone who is suicidal to know that there are ways to get better, you just need to [do thing*]. suicide doesnt end the pain it just gives it to someone else. ((implying it's selfish. they might say something else 2 that also implies this))
if you ever need help just know that im here to listen to u <33 :) dont kill urself u are worth so much more xoxo stay strong"
*can for example be stuff like reach out, talk to someone, go see a therapist, admit your feelings to yourself, exercise, cry it out once, eat healthy food, go outside, travel and realize that life is Good, make new friends, get a dog, get a partner, learn a new skill, get a new hobby, or you know.. just stop being depressed lol???? haha .

not to sound edgy But . they jsut dont get it? they really do not understand that depression and being suicidal isnt as simple as it is portrayed in movies and tv shows. i know that there are a **** ton of reasons to be suicidal and that depression isnt the same for everyone (so i understand that maybe those cheesy stupid things those ppl say might help some people..?) but it makes me really frustrated that the illnesses i struggle with every flipflopping day of mai Lyf are seen as beautiful, romantic things that you can hug away.

idk. i really hate how suicide prevention usually is, i hate how suicide is viewed in society, i hate the general attitude people have abt suicide, and this show doesn't seem to make any of those things better it just brings attention to suicide and people start doing their dumb "suicide is bad!!!! uwu" thing.
i don't know if the show brings up issues with romantic or bad views on suicide but if it does there are a lot of people who ignore that because they want to write fanfiction about their 14 year old depressed Obviously Self Inserted OC that's shhy and has low self esteem, but really she is beauitufl and smart. everyone bullies her (because she's bettr than them and theyre envious) so she cuts herself once with a pair of scissors and DIES and then everyone is sad and it is such a tragic story and it could all have been prevented if ppl just understood this One Simple Message . .

ok sry i will Stop im just. Not Relaxed abt this

Back