• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Happy birthday to me!!

thedragmeme

100% sass 0% class
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
5064-6884-8310
Ghostly Kitty Plush
White Carnival Mask
Pumpkin Cupcake
Lost Star Fragment 002.AN
Summer Shell
New Horizons Token
Mother's Day Carnation
Jingle Christmas Doll
Leif
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
So I turned 18 today so I was wondering if anyone wanted to give me advice about being an adult to take with me in the future!

I don't have any advice since I'm still a smol child but happy birthday :^)

Happy birthday! I have a piece of adult advice for you!

Use credit cards wisely. Don't spend more than you have in your checking account and pay it off every month.

Don't have a checking account? Find one that's free (if you can) or find a place that has a free or low balance savings account to hold your money and use that account to pay off your credit card. If you can't find one that's free then keep your money stored somewhere safe but won't tempt you to go out and spend it.

Happy birthday. Please, just make sure you always have money. I'm trying to stash a ton of monies. Like, a ton. And open up a retirement account asap. And start storing money in there too. Or end up like my parents. Who will never retire, and have to work themselves to death. That's what they tell me...

Happy birthday! I have a piece of adult advice for you!

Use credit cards wisely. Don't spend more than you have in your checking account and pay it off every month.

Don't have a checking account? Find one that's free (if you can) or find a place that has a free or low balance savings account to hold your money and use that account to pay off your credit card. If you can't find one that's free then keep your money stored somewhere safe but won't tempt you to go out and spend it.

this is all fine and true, but

debit cards>credit cards

Happy birthday!!! <3 I'm turning 18 kinda soon, too!

I imagine that the most important things are to get your priorities in order, learn to cook some basic healthy foods, and be nice to everyone even if you hate them!

this is all fine and true, but

debit cards>credit cards

If you know how to handle your credit cards they're usually better because of the rewards you get back and disputing fraudulent charges are a breeze compared to debit card disputes. (*phone auto correct is bonkers)

I work at a bank and my whole family has been in banking since before I was born so you can trust me when I'm talking finances.

I wanted to add that debit cards are great if you find you have trouble reigning in your spending habits - a debit card is linked to money you already have in your account and usually banks will offer to have the debit card not work if there are no funds available in the account it's linked to. However this is a double edged sword because using your debit card means you won't have the funds liquid in case of an emergency.

I recommend as b I said above - if you can use it wisely use a credit card. Treat it like it is your debit card though and never spend more than you have in your accounts and make sure to pay it off every month. This way you have working liquid cash you can use if you need to plus you'll be earning rewards on your credit card if you have a rewards card.

Honestly either way is fine. If you have a debit card that earns rewards then more power to you (but there are few in my experience that do) or if you have a no rewards credit card use the credit card for non-cash emergencies unless you want to have funds available for cash situations.

Another tip - always try to keep at least 3 (ideally 6 or more) months worth of living expenses saved up. If something happens and you lose your job or have a major repair that needs to be done that cushion will save you a world of hurt.

Last edited:
im a only 15 but make sure you have people to fall back on it something bad happens

Always get the milk that's in the back, it's better.

Happy birthday!~

Some advice, it's okay to not know what to do with your life...everybody is basically winging it anyways. :D

Have a goal or something to work towards. Don't let yourself fall into the pattern of just lazing around doing nothing with your life. Even if you don't know what career you want or whether you want to go to college or not, it's important to be doing SOMETHING of substance. Work a retail job, volunteer somewhere, learn things online through free courses or youtube channels, practice skills you want to improve on, etc. Anything is better than lazing around the house. Always be working towards something and moving forward, even if it's a really small movement.

As well, building your resume is really important for the future so even if you can't get a paid job, volunteering is just as good. Don't be that guy who has nothing on their resume in their mid 20s.

happy birthday!!

can't really give you advice tho, as i turned 18 a while ago too and i still feel like a kid except i can legally drink whoops

I wanted to add, unless you're 100% certain a job is legit, be extra careful if you get "pay checks" from the not legit business. Ive had many customers deposit "pay checks" from "a really great job where they can work* from home" only to spend it and find their account overdrawn due to a fake check.

Doesn't mean to not trust checks, just proceed with caution if you're not 100% sure it's a real check that won't bounce.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the wonderful advice ^^ This is such a wonderful community!

Happy day-you-were-born-day! My adult advice is: look both ways before ya cross the street. uwu (20 years old and I still don't know how to adult, don't rush yourself!)

now that you're 18, these are the things you need to know about stuff you can do as an adult:

--don't smoke cigarettes. they're not cool, and they're bad for you.

--don't ever give your phone number to anyone who acts in adult films. they're not cool, and they're bad for you.

--gamble with your head not your heart. and never bet on jai alai, the fix is in at the frontons.

So finish education while your mind is still fresh and well functioning because it gets possible more difficult studying later on, Happy birthday

Back