• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Am I doing something wrong??

Revivers

ACNL lover
Bells
Blue Hybrid Pansy
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
White Lily
Mint
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Okay, so I've been trying to get large amounts of black roses by planting a ton of red roses in c checkered pattern. I watered them all for the past 3 days but I've had a total of ZERO black roses. I was able to get black roses when I only had two roses next to each other. Can someone suggest a possible way of improving the set-up with all the red roses I have (easily hundreds) thanks very much in advance!

best way to do any hybreeding, in my opinion is:

x - blank space
o - flower

xxxxxxx
xoxxoxx
xxoxxox
xxxxxxx

this allows the maximum amount of squares for all the flowers to crossbreed in. a checkerboard pattern gives less spaces per flower. watering only the flowers you want to crossbreed allows you to breed them quicker, and watering a smaller number of pairs rather than all of them gives a better chance.

good luck!

I can't wait to get the upgrade to the plant store so I can get fetilizer too. And I am dying to lay my hands on some shrubs. (other than hibscus)

Last edited:
Since you've already got black roses, could you not just breed those? In any pattern, they will produce more black roses than the red ones will.

As soon as I had a couple black roses I put them together in my pattern. I use the checkerboard layout - with fertiliser in centre of the diamond shape formed by black roses - just because I have so many flowers that I don't need optimum placement such as in carp's diagram. Looking at it, I would put the fertiliser in the central "x" position of either row 2 or 3. I don't know if that's the recommended place, that's just what looks right to me.

I only actually got 1 black rose and that was from before I started to use the checkerboard pattern. Thanks very much for the fertiliser tip!

- - - Post Merge - - -

And the only black rose I had wilted and I turned it into a golden rose.

Last edited:
I only actually got 1 black rose and that was from before I started to use the checkerboard pattern. Thanks very much for the fertiliser tip!

- - - Post Merge - - -

And the only black rose I had wilted and I turned it into a golden rose.

I can give you four black roses to let you try and breed more if you want.

It's free, I used to breed hybrids myself but not anymore lol. It was fun though :) Add me and I'll open my gates.

Sometimes, less is more. If you have a huge plot of red roses, I'd suggest breaking it into smaller ones, then water each plot.

Oh, just in case, if your black roses wilt be sure not to use the golden can, it'll turn your black roses into gold. So just use either the silver/regular can if you want to keep them black. Good luck~

Thanks for all your help guys! In no time I'm going to get a ton of black roses (hopefully).

I have literally a couple hundred red roses! If anything, I should give them away myself, would you like any? Thanks anyway.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Although, if you have any bags of fertilisers I would like those. I can pay you 1 TBT per bag of fertiliser.

Back