• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

how privileged are you

I agree that the privilege thing is stupid. It was created to discriminate against white people and other people of that matter rather than focusing on the real issue. I actually think that invoking the privilege card of any sort in a debate is not only intolerant, but it's also the pinnacle of bullying (even worse than threatening them).

I'm curious to hear more. What do you consider to be the "real issue"?

There was also a good point made earlier concerning putting down an opinion by asking someone to "check their privilege" is reductive. But to generally ask someone to check their privilege is to ask them to reflect on their current standing in relation to others'. So in that light, I find it an appropriate and necessary tool for our rapidly globalizing societies.

But I would like to hear more on your thoughts ~

-200, then somewhat privileged. don't you think minorities are tired of being put as the "lower class/disadvantaged" though?

I got privileged with a score of 80 lol, but I think that this whole privilege thing is stupid really. It was created for people to bring into arguments to shut down certain "majorities". It's like bringing race into an argument... you've already lost if you've done that. I hate when people talk about "white, cis, males" ALWAYS being privileged. Because there is definitely not a single disadvantaged white male out there you know. I think it's just another thing to make people feel guilty for having so called "privileges" or "advantages", that don't actually exist.

May I ask what you mean by "invoking the privilege card" please? I don't agree with the rest of your comment but before I respond, I want to make sure I'm clear on your meaning. Thanks.

:)

Wow, nosy much aren't you. But if you want me to explain, I'll do it.

You heard of the race card, right? The privilege card is exactly like that. For instance, I get a good job, with good pay and get excellent housing. I did it because I worked hard for it. But some people would say that I was able to get it becsuse I'm white and not because I worked hard. Normally, those people who say stuff like that are trying to bully or harass those who are white or male.

I'm curious to hear more. What do you consider to be the "real issue"?

There was also a good point made earlier concerning putting down an opinion by asking someone to "check their privilege" is reductive. But to generally ask someone to check their privilege is to ask them to reflect on their current standing in relation to others'. So in that light, I find it an appropriate and necessary tool for our rapidly globalizing societies.

But I would like to hear more on your thoughts ~

Real issue meaning stuff like the actual reason and not the traits. Take for instance a school class of mostly one race and the whites are the minority. Because of the poor study habits of most of the class (and becsuse of the good study habits the few white students), the white ones were able to advance further and get good grades. The real issue there would be on studying and not race. If it were the other way around (where the racial minorities had good study habits and the whites were being lazy), the minorities would be able to move further as the whites are held back. Basically speaking, they're not going to continue those who are failing as they will allow the passing ones to move on. But if it were the white people that got the advantage for their habits, people that invoke the card wouldn't even think it's their habits. They would think it's their race. And normally, they say that to force teachers to give the minorities good grades regardless on how they perform. That's impractical, and in recent times, it's making white people feel bad because of their skin.

When you said it's a necessary tool for our rapidly growing societies, I highly disagree. Diversity is something you need to achieve, not to expect. If I ran a business, I wouldn't care if 90% of my employees are white. I wouldn't care if 75% of my employees aren't white. I wouldn't care if the amount of religions practiced by all employees is five. I wouldn't care if they're not American. I'm only gonna accept those who are productive, skilled, and have good moral traits. I wouldn't select people based on race. But I am very willingly gonna blacklist anyone who supports political correctness.

Hope my definition of 'real issue' is clear enough.

disadvantaged with a score of -35

too lazy to take the second one

I understand your frustration, no worries.

I grew up in a middle class white household and it was very difficult for me to accept certain mindsets. I don't think the awareness to privilege (or political correctness, for that matter) are meant to be as exclusionary as white people often find them. As I mentioned, it's reductive and disrespectful to ignore someone because of their background.
And I've been met with the same argument that white people are made to be shamed or held back, but I want to respectfully disagree. It's just a shame that media coverage of inequality is presented in such a callous and black-and-white manner.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that privileged identities (not just race) have an easier time of achieving their goals than minority groups. Its important that we realize this isn't the case for everything. Your privilege doesn't guarantee you a place and many people do have to work hard to achieve.
But these policies that grant minorities a helping hand aren't meant to raise them above, but to help them achieve what would otherwise be much easier for privileged people.

Many people struggle with the guilt that may come from realizing what privileges they may have. But I try to use it to help my friends and others, to be their voice when they need me to be. Recognize when your input is valuable and when it isn't. It's about compassion and empathy - to realize what you can do to help people who aren't as well off as you are.

That's just my take on it though ~

Your privilege level is Extremely Oppressed with a score of -225
Wat?
I'm a white cis bisexual female, like sure I don't have much money but still.

Last edited:
"Your privilege level is Extremely Oppressed with a score of -750"

LOL just because of my religion, color, body shape and yearly income?..ok

-435.....you are kidding me. I think I'm very privileged mind you. Well it could be worse XD

Second quiz:Somewhat Disadvantaged 42% Privilege!
Sounds better, says I'm middle class is what I consider myself.

Wow, nosy much aren't you. But if you want me to explain, I'll do it.

You heard of the race card, right? The privilege card is exactly like that. For instance, I get a good job, with good pay and get excellent housing. I did it because I worked hard for it. But some people would say that I was able to get it becsuse I'm white and not because I worked hard. Normally, those people who say stuff like that are trying to bully or harass those who are white or male.
-- snip --

I am sorry you felt my asking that question was being nosy. I was trying to understand your perspective and frame a reply that addressed the particular issues you raised, offering my own perspective. In hindsight perhaps I should not have asked. Oh well. Live and learn.

I agree that the privilege thing is stupid. It was created to discriminate against white people and other people of that matter rather than focusing on the real issue.
SAHSJKabdsbdadjbedjoqweif;/..sakj oh my Godddd white discrimination isn't even a real thing

"Check ur privilege" should only be used when someone is ignorant due to their privilege. The point of privilege checking is to find out your standing in society (and its not even always accurate) and not there to tell someone that they're ignorant or stupid or whatever because they're white or affluent or straight, and if anyone does try to do that then they're a dumbass so ignore those kinds of people and move on with your life.

Last edited:
Well I got 20 for the first one, then spent 15 minutes on the other for it to not work :/ gr8
A lot of the questions were aimed at adults so idk,but I didn't get my result anyway

I am sorry you felt my asking that question was being nosy. I was trying to understand your perspective and frame a reply that addressed the particular issues you raised, offering my own perspective. In hindsight perhaps I should not have asked. Oh well. Live and learn.

That was actually the first time I called someone nosy for asking questions I don't feel comfortable answering when it's not private information or anything like that. The thing is, I tend to get tired of people asking me questions like that.

That was actually the first time I called someone nosy for asking questions I don't feel comfortable answering when it's not private information or anything like that. The thing is, I tend to get tired of people asking me questions like that.

I'm sorry to hear that. I was interested in clarifying your meaning as your comment touched on specific things I had mentioned - from another angle - in my own comment which was posted just above your's. Given the content of my post, and the context when juxtaposed with your own post, I felt the need to try and find some common ground.

I completely understand that that's not a conversation you want to have. Upon reflection, had your post not appeared so close to mine, and seemed to be suggesting that I engaged in bullying practices (amongst other things), I would likely have responded differently.

Again, I'm sorry for intruding on your privacy. If you want to discuss things further, please let me know. If not, then all good.

:)

Back