• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

how privileged are you

Your privilege level is Extremely Oppressed with a score of -225

Whoah whoah whoah. I don't know about that. Yeah I've got a pretty darn rough life but I mean, I have enough food to eat and I have a loving family (well, mostly, I won't get into that) so I'd say I'm not THAT oppressed.

the second one says im "somewhat disadvantaged" i.e 29%.

feelsbad that im not oppressed anymore apparently

I couldn't help but chuckle at the question about your "kinship"

I got 45, which actually I would agree is correct

Your privilege level is Extremely Oppressed with a score of -185

"Somewhat privileged" on the second test. I didn't bother to take the first.

Never before had I had the urge to fight an online quiz,, but here i am. my eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head and i had to pick them back up.

I feel like a white SJW tumblr person made this too, because I have only ever heard white SJW people say "check your privilege."
I wish this test was a joke but straight up, I do not think it is. I don't know I just feel like this is making garganguinely broad assumptions with no real facts or basis. I thought the internet was over the "check your privilege" thing, but i guess not.

oh, I got "somewhat disadvantaged / 37%" 🙄🙄🙄🙄

I got somewhat privileged, and share this result with about 29% of the population. Although, I consider myself so privileged that I often feel guilty about it. I'm grateful for everything that I have, but I really feel like what I do and just knowing that I should be grateful isn't enough, and tbh I am drowning in guilt like really often about my privileges lol. A couple of my friends were fairly poor, as well as their families, and when one of them told me that they hated being poor, it made me literally want to freaking die. I go out of my way to buy them things and save them money when I can, but they hate my help, even though they need help. They refuse to let me rid myself of this guilt :)))))

- - - Post Merge - - -

Tldr; Didn't need the test to know I was privileged, but it was fun anyways

These quizzes are some major BS. Got Extremely Opressed for both basically and honestly it's a joke. I very well know there is a certain privilege we get for certain things, but the fact people are getting high "privileged" scores even when they have things like autism, which is very looked down upon in society, shows me that these quizzes really are not accurate.

this is all incredibly ******** and anyone who revolves their social life around social privilege is probably equally ********

this is all incredibly ******** and anyone who revolves their social life around social privilege is probably equally ********

I have a genuine question, because I'm a bit slow I guess. When you say this, do you mean people who only interact with people of their own "class"? Is that even still a thing? I thought that was like, the dark ages.

I have a genuine question, because I'm a bit slow I guess. When you say this, do you mean people who only interact with people of their own "class"? Is that even still a thing? I thought that was like, the dark ages.

i'm saying people who look around at a room, see a white guy and think they are privileged just based on that is wrong and needs to re-evaluate how they think. you don't know what people have been through based on their appearance, and thinking anything different is just encouraging racism + useless stereotypes

i'm saying people who look around at a room, see a white guy and think they are privileged just based on that is wrong and needs to re-evaluate how they think. you don't know what people have been through based on their appearance, and thinking anything different is just encouraging racism + useless stereotypes

Oh okay, I get that now. Yeah, I have to agree with you there. I think my family is well off for middle class. If we didn't have so much debt and so many expensive bills, I'd consider us to even be somewhat rich. But my room and my favored style of clothing probably give people a bad impression. I don't look like I have money, if that makes sense. For example, my favorite sweater is too big for me and full of holes, and just a wreck. But I choose to keep it because I love it, and can't replace it. I wear it rather often too.

The first one doesn't work I got a score of -180 umm lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

Second quiz I got 77% privilege :lemon:

I did both quizzes although I do not recommend them for anyone genuinely trying to learn more about their personal biases and inherent privileges. The 2nd quiz is significantly better than the first, but that is not saying much.

1st quiz : -210 "extremely oppressed"
2nd quiz : 52% "somewhat privileged" - more accurate due to the inreased number of questions asked and the depth of them ; the result suffers greatly from being American-centric (which it acknowledges) which means no weight is given to socio-economic and cultural factors in my own country. For example, immigrants to Australia prior to around the 1960s suffered extreme prejudice if they spoke english with a heavy accent (italian, greek, etc). My ancestors all came from Ireland, Scotland, and (much more distantly) England. They immigrated to a country that looked like them, spoke like them, and had the same cultural background as them. At no stage did they have to assimilate or struggle to find a welcoming community that accepted them. This made their lives dramatically easier in this respect compared to immigrants from other backgrounds.

I personally do not use the expression "check your privilege" as I use other words to convey the same (generally) intended meaning. I have no issue with being told to check my privilege, although I do find it a peculiar expression (but then, the english language is full of those). In my profession, it is actually a legal and ethical requirement for me and my colleagues to routinely self-assess our personal and professional advantages and biases. Such reflection is not just "best practice", it is literally required by national regulations. And engaging in this type of critical reflection absolutely makes me, and my colleagues, better educators.

A good explanation for what "check your privilege" really means :

Does this mean I didn?t struggle, too? No. Does it mean that I?m a bad person? Nope.

It simply means that I gained an unearned advantage, in comparison to other people ? by no fault of my own, but rather, because of prejudice.

We, unfortunately, live in a society that carries a great deal of prejudice on many different levels ? and this impacts the way that we are treated.

Often times, our laws and other institutions can reflect this prejudice, too. And the result is that people end up with advantages and disadvantages, depending on their intersecting social statuses ? things like disability, race, a/sexuality, gender, class, and much more.

And this ? only this! ? is where the idea of ?checking your privilege? comes from.

When someone asks you to ?check your privilege,? what they?re really asking you to do is to reflect on the ways that your social status might have given you an advantage ? even if you didn?t ask for it or earn it ? while their social status might have given them a disadvantage.

Yes, it?s okay if your initial reaction to being asked to check yourself was not a pleasant one. It can be uncomfortable to be asked to reflect on these issues. It can be especially uncomfortable if, like me, you just didn?t know how.
http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/07/what-checking-privilege-means/

In my view :

If someone is shouting (literally or metaphorically) "check your privilege!" as a way of shutting down conversation with absolutely no willingness to listen or otherwise communicate = then that is wrong. If someone is refusing (literally or metaphorically) to listen to someone saying "check your privilege" or equivalent in a civil discussion *for no reason other than objecting to being asked to reflect on their own circumstances and how they may be impacting their current viewpoint* = then that is wrong. Of course, being wrong doesn't often stop people from keeping-on-keeping-on.

So if you're asked to think about what, if any, privileges you may have, you're free to choose whether you do so or you don't. Obviously. I'm not sure why any rational adult would choose "don't", but then again I'm aware that I think that way because of my own privilege and personal biases.

People who don't like thinking, learning about themselves, and the world around them baffle me greatly. Luckily I checked my privilege before deciding that I am somehow superior to them. I'm not. We just have different priorities.

:)

I didn't try to remember my first quiz score because I didn't think it to be a very good measure of privilege by any means. (I think I scored around -150%)

The second I scored about 64% or 69%

The quizzes are fun, but as amanda alluded, they don't make for very deep conversation.

I agree that the privilege thing is stupid. It was created to discriminate against white people and other people of that matter rather than focusing on the real issue. I actually think that invoking the privilege card of any sort in a debate is not only intolerant, but it's also the pinnacle of bullying (even worse than threatening them).

I agree that the privilege thing is stupid. It was created to discriminate against white people and other people of that matter rather than focusing on the real issue. I actually think that invoking the privilege card of any sort in a debate is not only intolerant, but it's also the pinnacle of bullying (even worse than threatening them).

May I ask what you mean by "invoking the privilege card" please? I don't agree with the rest of your comment but before I respond, I want to make sure I'm clear on your meaning. Thanks.

:)

Back