Is this spot eligible for plot placement?

Bubblebeam

Liquor is quicker.
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Mailbox
Tasty Cake
I've reset a bunch of times now but my new move in refuses to plot here (the 3x3 marked by patterns). The only thing I can think could be an issue is that it diagonally brushes up against the river, but you CAN still walk all the way around. I can recall plenty of times where the game loved to brush up houses against the river, but for some reason this isn't working?

If anyone happens to have a animal home in a similar location, please let me know. I don't know if I'm having horrible luck or if the spot is just not eligible.

HNI_0054.JPG

HNI_0055.JPG

HNI_0056.JPG

Last edited:
I believe the answer is no.

For house or PwP placing, I believe you'll need at least one walking square space from the cliff edge, including the corners. From the pic, you may have a problem with one of the corners.

yeah, that top-right corner's lookin' a little iffy.

Yeah, I'm giving up on it. Gah, I've had so many game-decided random plots placed surprisingly close to the river before, but when it's one you actually want, nope.

Yeah, I'm giving up on it. Gah, I've had so many game-decided random plots placed surprisingly close to the river before, but when it's one you actually want, nope.

That is the problem. Sometimes, the game can place houses in areas where we can't. One good example is houses near bridges. New residents can moved in very close to the bridge but if you try to place yours, Isabelle wil nagged, "you'll need at least blah blah blah".

So be careful when you demolish bridges, you may not be able to put them back in the same spot even though it was there before. Reason? The game can plot a house near that bridge but you cannot build a bridge near that house. Trust me, I learnt it the hard way.

Last edited:
That is the problem. Sometimes, the game can place houses in areas where we can't. One good example is houses near bridges. New residents can moved in very close to the bridge but if you try to place yours, Isabelle wil nagged, "you'll need at least blah blah blah".

So be careful when you demolish bridges, you may not be able to put them back in the same spot even though it was there before. Reason? The game can plot a house near that bridge but you cannot build a bridge near that house. Trust me, I learnt it the hard way.

Luckily, my bridges were all decided early on. That spot in the images never had a bridge nearby, so that isn't it. There seems to be different kinds of 'half tiles' i.e. the diagonal ones. Some are restrictive and some aren't. Looking at the neighbouring house, it is also brushed up against a diagonal half tile but it goes north instead of south.

I have another, even more bewildering spot I can't understand. It's 2-3 squares away from both a pond and the bulletin board. Plenty of space in other words, but nope, game says no. Again, I can remember random move ins being put super close to both features before. I remember because at that point I wanted the opposite, lots of space around each home, so when the game put them super close to things I was like, 'argh how was that spot even eligible?'.

Anyways, thank God I'm almost done placing these homes.

I think I have a villager house that's on the same spot as the one in the picture. I'm not sure haha

It doesn't look like you can. Best way to check is to dig a hole at that corner and see if you can walk all around it. If not, then unfortunately it won't be possible.

It looks like you can move it a little to the left, the houses would be right beside each other though. =(

No. The rules for trees and buildings are different. For trees, you just have to be able to walk around them for them to grow, but for buildings and PWPs, you have to be able to surround the spot (including the entrance space) with patterns, holes, items, etc. for the structure to go there as well as having that structure at least 2 spaces away from any other house or PWP. As a general rule of thumb, if Isabelle won't let you build a fountain there, then a house can't go there (but even if she does let you build a fountain, that doesn't always mean a house can go there).

Back