• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Gorsuch got confirmed as Supreme Court justice

How does our domestic issues have a negative impact on foreign affairs? Is there any reasoning to it?

I'm sorry, this reads like it must be a joke question but you seem serious?

When the US ruled that Hobby Lobby could legally refuse to pay for contraception, that ruling made waves in the far-right of my country. "How can we get that made legal here?" was the immediate response.

Likewise for the Citizens United decision, amongst largely the same crowd.

The chaotic state of the US government and political system would ordinarily be worth noting internationally, as internal unrest can *always* affect external policy-making and actions. But right now? Your current president is a man like no other, and anything that affects him (which the Senate certainly does) is now a matter of global importance.

I don't know about that. Stuff like political correctness and socialized medicine aren't very "moderate", and they are popular by the Democrats. How could you support all these left-wing beliefs (like gun control) at once and be called center-right? Standards are pretty different here.
You probably think Obama and Hillary are leftists

58 counties worldwide have socialized healthcare. Jinkies! Wow radical commie agenda, and I'm pretty sure political correctness isn't an actual issue considering we're guaranteed free speech. Wanting gun control and free healthcare doesn't make you automatic leftist.

And in case if you don't realize democrats are corporate sellouts (just like republicans) pro-free trade, pro-deregulation, pro-lobbyist, largely pro-war/interventionism, don't blink an eye at police brutality etc. and ever since Bill Clinton era have been that way.

Still, I don't judge by global standards. I only judge by US standards on what's left and what's right.

well therein lies your problem

and glad to know you utterly fail at the political spectrum in the exact same way that a good majority of the American populace does

also if you want proof on there being no actual left in major party American politics, just look at how the democratic party is more willing to roll over for the GOP than actually listen to the growing *actual* left in the country. they'd rather coddle up to potential far-right fascism and hope the backlash against the GOP gives them more votes next time than actually act as a real opposition party

also see: bernie sanders (no I don't feel like debating his credentials or anything, this is just purely as a "him being far more left than usual for dems" example)

Last edited:
well therein lies your problem

and glad to know you utterly fail at the political spectrum in the exact same way that a good majority of the American populace does

also if you want proof on there being no actual left in major party American politics, just look at how the democratic party is more willing to roll over for the GOP than actually listen to the growing *actual* left in the country. they'd rather coddle up to potential far-right fascism and hope the backlash against the GOP gives them more votes next time than actually act as a real opposition party

also see: bernie sanders (no I don't feel like debating his credentials or anything, this is just purely as a "him being far more left than usual for dems" example)

You still shouldn't force this onto me. I can believe whatever I want when it comes to politics and society. I hate it when people take stuff like this too literally (which also means using only the strict definition of a word or topic).

Clearly, you're the one who started this argument. My point is, the move the Republicans made to confirm Gorsuch is gonna hurt them because with this new rule in effect, the Democrats can use this same strategy to confirm leftists that are too extreme to their views as justices, which can screw things up for Republicans, just like how confirming rightists that are too extreme to their views as justices can screw things up for the Democrats. It wasn't all about the political spectrum of the United States and how it's different across the world.

Can we really get back on topic and talk about what Gorsuch and the Supreme Court may do in the future?

You still shouldn't force this onto me. I can believe whatever I want when it comes to politics and society. I hate it when people take stuff like this too literally (which also means using only the strict definition of a word or topic).

Clearly, you're the one who started this argument. My point is, the move the Republicans made to confirm Gorsuch is gonna hurt them because with this new rule in effect, the Democrats can use this same strategy to confirm leftists that are too extreme to their views as justices, which can screw things up for Republicans, just like how confirming rightists that are too extreme to their views as justices can screw things up for the Democrats. It wasn't all about the political spectrum of the United States and how it's different across the world.

Can we really get back on topic and talk about what Gorsuch and the Supreme Court may do in the future?
This also depends on how well Democrats do during midterms in 2018, and it's likely they'll probably take the senate.

This also depends on how well Democrats do during midterms in 2018, and it's likely they'll probably take the senate.

That's true too. Why? Because the party in power always loses seats during a mid-term election, but that depends on the case.

If the Republicans really do a good job while they're in office (like destroying ISIS, improving job growth, and take care of serious issues seriously and in the right way), then they're probably going to gain seats in both chambers. Likewise, they can also ignore these issues and focus on getting rid of social security and medicare, as well as reversing progress on LGBT rights everywhere, they're going to lose a lot of seats in both chambers. When Bush was in power, he cut funding on Medicaid and focused too much on Iraq, which is why the Democrats took back the house and senate in 2007. But when ISIS came along as they ignored serious issues, they lost control of both chambers (when Obama was in office).

Say, Ted Cruz is running for senate re-election in 2018. The same people running for election or re-election then are the same that ran in 2006 when Republicans lost control of both chambers for the first time in the 21st century. If you don't like him, keep your fingers crossed to hope he doesn't get re-elected.

Last edited:
Back