Are you proud of being an american?

It's hit or miss for me.
What keeps me going is how unbelievably diverse this country is. The US is without a doubt the most diverse country on the planet, and that's incredibly exciting to me.

It's distressing, however, the corruption and skewed priorities our country has in general. I would venture to say that nationalism is dropping since the presidency shifted. The US is responsible for a majority of our planet's troubles and I wish we addressed real concerns other than what Donald preached on his campaign trail.
Our country has such incredible capacity for good, but instead our resources go to isolationism, the military, and bigotry.

That's why I find it hard to be proud I'm American.

I'm really proud to be an American actually, I'm glad I wasn't born somewhere else. Most of these Americans saying they aren't proud of the country they live in. Ummmmmm.... Excuse? We have rights, literally more rights than most countries. We don't get shot for speaking our opinion in America, and we don't get murdered for being gay or trans like they do in the Middle-Eastern countries. I'm glad and proud I live in America rather than in a hellhole where I get shot or killed for speaking my mind or being gay or being rebellious against the country I live in.

I'm 100% proud of being an American because I can be proud of the freedoms we have, the freedom of speech, freedom of religion (if you were an Atheist in Saudi Arabia or didn't do your prayers during the day-- you'd probably get killed LOL)

Us Americans should be lucky we're not as terrible as the other countries. America ain't so bad. At least we're not like Russia, or Syria, or Pakistan???
Some people are just selfish tbh

I'm pretty moderate feeling about being an American but we have conflicts and an orange as a president. 50/50 i'm saying

funny how all these people take for granted the fact that they are living relatively comfortable lives in a stable western democracy that while imperfect, could be much much worse.

I'm really proud to be an American actually, I'm glad I wasn't born somewhere else. Most of these Americans saying they aren't proud of the country they live in. Ummmmmm.... Excuse? We have rights, literally more rights than most countries. We don't get shot for speaking our opinion in America, and we don't get murdered for being gay or trans like they do in the Middle-Eastern countries. I'm glad and proud I live in America rather than in a hellhole where I get shot or killed for speaking my mind or being gay or being rebellious against the country I live in.

I'm 100% proud of being an American because I can be proud of the freedoms we have, the freedom of speech, freedom of religion (if you were an Atheist in Saudi Arabia or didn't do your prayers during the day-- you'd probably get killed LOL)

Us Americans should be lucky we're not as terrible as the other countries. America ain't so bad. At least we're not like Russia, or Syria, or Pakistan???

do you people just go "good enough" and eat it when your food arrives half-cooked or something?

also, someone please tear apart skywalker's first two paragraph for me. I know it can be done, but damn do I not feel like gathering all the reference materials

Last edited:
I'm thankful to live here, I enjoy the rights we have here and the opportunities I've had here but that's where it ends... to be quite frank I find overly patriotic people overbearing. I'm talking the kind that has big flags on the end of their trucks, wears something with a flag on it daily, etc

We have rights, literally more rights than most countries. We don't get shot for speaking our opinion in America, and we don't get murdered for being gay or trans like they do in the Middle-Eastern countries. I'm 100% proud of being an American because I can be proud of the freedoms we have, the freedom of speech, freedom of religion

this stuff isn't exclusive to America though? Most of Europe, Canada, Australia and probably some other places I'm unaware of have all this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Orlando_nightclub_shooting
http://www.hrc.org/resources/violence-against-the-transgender-community-in-2016
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unlawfully_killed_transgender_people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_violence_against_LGBT_people_in_the_United_States
http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...rans-people-still-disturbingly-common-n685971

Aside from the article about the Pulse shooting, this is all from literally the first page of results when I searched "violence against trans people in the US." America is not a safe place for LGBT people.

also, someone please tear apart skywalker's first two paragraph for me. I know it can be done, but damn do I not feel like gathering all the reference materials

good news, I manged to dig up a twitter thread re: free speech stuff. no citations, but hopefully anyone with any level of interest can look this stuff up (it's mostly historical things, so...)

https://twitter.com/discomfiting/status/827354681504587777

also, I will say that by no means am I saying free speech is bad, but that American free speech is purely until you're a liability to the established system. after that, your "rights" are meaningless. it is not a true free speech

and yes, it has improved in plenty of areas; but more importantly, there's also many areas where it's still just as heinous a lie that's blanketed over or otherwise twisted into a workable narrative

tl;dr embrace free speech, but don't turn a blind eye to its failings either

pretty much everyone is aware that America isn't perfect, but neither are the things people generally praise America for. be critical of these flaws, otherwise there stands no real chance of improving them

Last edited:
It's distressing, however, the corruption and skewed priorities our country has in general. I would venture to say that nationalism is dropping since the presidency shifted. The US is responsible for a majority of our planet's troubles and I wish we addressed real concerns other than what Donald preached on his campaign trail.
Our country has such incredible capacity for good, but instead our resources go to isolationism, the military, and bigotry.

The presidency has only made me more nationalist and really many other people I've talked to. But that's just my experience.

I really wish people would stop blaming the US for "most of the world's troubles". No, the world has always has problems and it's not fair to pin most of the blame on one country. Especially a country that's pretty darn great compared to a lot of the countries in the world.

I want the US to back out of other country's problems. If the US is getting the blame no matter what, I think it should stay out of other country's business. It doesn't make sense for the US to go in to help only to get blamed when things go wrong anyway.

I don't think it would matter where I lived, I feel no reason to be PROUD of being a citizen of my designated country. I certainly feel very lucky since I have lots of freedoms and wonderful things at my disposal, but what is there to be proud of? I may be an American, but I'm not exactly a patriotic person, or doing anything to represent my country. I'm just living here because I was born and raised here. It would be no different for me anywhere else.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Plus, there are quite a few people who have negative views on the US, so I don't necessarily feel like it's the greatest place on earth lmao

i don't see how anyone couldn't be. America helped to make me who i am today. i could've been born into some of the many crapholes of the world. i could've been born into a country where racism, bigotry, and misogyny are the norm and have an extremely difficult chance at being a decent human being because these backward ways of thinking are ingrained into the minds of their citizens at birth.

of course there will always be problems in America. none of them insurmountable. if America is not heading in the direction you want it to go personally you have the power to change it. you can't say that about every country. just because it's not going in your direction right now does not change the core values of America (individualism, freedom of speech, equality, liberty, pursuit of happiness, etc.) and never will. so to say you're ashamed of, or even just plain not proud of America simply because it's heading in a different direction is silly and even a bit arrogant. America has ingrained these core principles in you. they are what drives you to think for yourself and to say "hey this is wrong" when something goes against your beliefs. these values are nonexistent in many nations, criminal acts even.

you can argue the petty differences between America and other Western nations but it's a waste of time. Western nations all have similar core values and i'd be proud to be from most any of them. it beats living in some third world nation or somewhere ruled by tyrannical oppressors.

why do you think people from these poor and war-torn countries are fighting so hard to come to ours? maybe they want somewhere to be proud of because their countries failed them in damn near all aspects.

there are places where the government kills you for being gay. like it's actual systemic oppression that the far left loves to talk about. it's illegal not to kill gay people there. like wtf. and show me the evidence that all these people were murdered because they were trans. people get murdered. like are we supposed to only stop trans people from getting murdered? 75% of murder victims are cis males. America must be unsafe for us.

good news, I manged to dig up a twitter thread re: free speech stuff. no citations, but hopefully anyone with any level of interest can look this stuff up (it's mostly historical things, so...)

https://twitter.com/discomfiting/status/827354681504587777

a bunch of repealed/revised laws and court cases from over half a century ago? let's talk about how this year the left started a riot because they didn't want a gay jew giving an hour long speech on their campus.

Last edited:
a bunch of repealed/revised laws and court cases from over half a century ago?

I literally bring this up in one of my following points. still doesn't change that they happened though and that blind faith appraisal of free speech without understanding its historical usage, and more importantly, silencing, is a fallacy

also there's more examples than just old laws, which makes me inclined to believe you didn't bother reading very far

Last edited:
That's the issue with you Americans. You're never content. Just shut up and learn how to enjoy life. You would not be any happier anywhere else. You just make excuses to justify your petty materialist life.

That's the issue with you Americans. You're never content. Just shut up and learn how to enjoy life. You would not be any happier anywhere else. You just make excuses to justify your petty materialist life.

6359228479115404371233207677_giphy-5.gif

I'm going to assume you're trolling here.

i've never really felt a strong sense of patriotism, but that's not to say that there aren't worse places to live.

Back