• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Capital punishment/death penalty

Weiland

Flick Fanboy 🦎💞
Bells
Switch
7046-6089-3415
Not too sure if this has been a thread in the past, but I'm going to make it anyway. I want to hear your guys' opinion on capital punishment (internationally).

I'm against it completely. It's a waste of taxpayers' money; sometimes (like in Saudi Arabia) it's given for something as stupid as adultery; I'd rather let the prisoner rot in jail instead of send them to the electric chair (however, they may be living their life in fear of death because of them being on death row, which is good).

I don't know. I'm tired and wanna see what you guys have to say.
Let's keep it civil.

I am against it for a number of reasons:

1) There are many people who are wrongfully convicted, and have to spend a part, or even most of their life, in jail. Imagine dying for somebody else's crime. Not good.

2) I do not believe in "an eye for an eye." How are we any better than a murderer if we are also taking a life?

3) All criminals should be given a chance to have a change of heart. I'm not saying that they need to be released or forgiven, or that they will be fully redeemed, etc. But I believe that even the worst people can have an internal change of heart and can still do some good if given the chance. Not all, but some. And if there is even the slightest possibility that the person can experience change within themselves, then it should be allowed, rather than just killing them.

4) Really, I feel that we just need to be better than the criminals, and not sink to such a low level as to want someone dead. And I am saying this as someone who has experienced really hurtful crimes committed against me, where the people have all walked free, while I still deal with all the emotional trauma that it caused. I am not saying I'm willing to forgive. I am only saying that I expect better from myself, and I will always hold myself to a higher standard of morality than those who hurt me.

4)

I say either execute pedophiles painfully, or lock them up in jail and have them go insane. Other than that I don't care much.

I'm conflicted how I feel about it. Arize makes a good point about a change of heart. I'm a Christian and Christianity is all about seeking forgiveness and being able to redeem oneself even at the end. Kind of like with Darth Vader in Star Wars. On the other hand, there are people who are just insanely evil and will never seek forgiveness. Serial killers I would put in that category. Although, there would have to be 100% non-disputable proof that the person committed a crime. You can't send someone to death's door who even has a slight chance of being innocent.

Last edited:
I don't agree with it at all. When somebody does something bad, you shouldn't lower yourself to their level. What makes you different from them?

I believe that most intentional murderers won't change their heart so they should be kept to jail to suffer. Killing them allows them to have the easy way out.

I am against it for a number of reasons:

1) There are many people who are wrongfully convicted, and have to spend a part, or even most of their life, in jail. Imagine dying for somebody else's crime. Not good.

2) I do not believe in "an eye for an eye." How are we any better than a murderer if we are also taking a life?

3) All criminals should be given a chance to have a change of heart. I'm not saying that they need to be released or forgiven, or that they will be fully redeemed, etc. But I believe that even the worst people can have an internal change of heart and can still do some good if given the chance. Not all, but some. And if there is even the slightest possibility that the person can experience change within themselves, then it should be allowed, rather than just killing them.

4) Really, I feel that we just need to be better than the criminals, and not sink to such a low level as to want someone dead. And I am saying this as someone who has experienced really hurtful crimes committed against me, where the people have all walked free, while I still deal with all the emotional trauma that it caused. I am not saying I'm willing to forgive. I am only saying that I expect better from myself, and I will always hold myself to a higher standard of morality than those who hurt me.

4)

I agree with these points completely. Point # 1 is the most important, in my opinion, as anyone can become the victim of a miscarriage of justice. "It can't happen to me" is a nice thought but it is simply not true.

Some information (US) : https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/executed-possibly-innocent

(Australian but very interesting - although tragic - cases) http://www.sydneycriminallawyers.com.au/blog/wrongful-convictions-in-australia/

It is impossible to compensate someone appropriately for falsely imprisoning them for years on end. The time, the freedom, the autonomy, the lost opportunities to learn skills can simply never be regained, and the experience of false imprisonment will be with them forever no matter how sincerely everyone may apologise after the fact.

I cannot fathom living with a justice system that acknowledges that wrongful convictions *do* occur and yet sentences people to death. That just does not compute. We *know* that our justice system makes mistakes - even without anyone actually trying to thwart the system. So no sentence should ever be handed down that cannot be overturned if later found to be wrong.

Last edited:
I say either execute pedophiles painfully, or lock them up in jail and have them go insane. Other than that I don't care much.

There's a difference between pedophiles and child molesters, pedophilia is a mental disorder. People with pedophilia can't help their attraction because of their undeveloped brain, pedophiles don't necessarily act on their attractions you know. Child molesters are the one's who need the punishment, pedophiles need help to prevent those types of thoughts from happening because many know that their thoughts are disgusting and they hate them so they would never do anything to a child that harm them in that way.

-----

I don't believe in capital punishment because people can be wrongfully sentenced, I would also like to point out something Arize said: "How are we any better than a murderer if we are also taking a life?" Exactly, we aren't, its very hypocritical for those people to do this, we're trying to prove the point that killing people is bad and we go ahead and kill them. (Makes sense doesn't it?) Another reason why I'm against capital punishment is that I want them to suffer, it's like a disease, you can't suffer if you're gone and most people, I assume, want actual criminals to suffer for horrible crimes. Not get the easy way out because that's what it is.

Oh and the tax payers issue....your government thinks more about the ideals rather than their people. Trump's wall and capital punishment being perfect examples, you guys need more help than the already stable protection you have, so the American government should help their people instead of making them pay for idiotic things like that wall.

Last edited:
i don't like the death penalty because as others said, too many people are wrongly convicted. i also think it's the easy way out. i don't feel like they're facing the consequences and i'm talking about serial killers or something as horrible as that.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I don't agree with death sentences.

Especially, on how so easily we use it for the most ridiculous of crimes.

It seems that the good have been corrupted so much that it's a norm to think that the death penalty would be a just cause. For the Christians, it shouldn't be, since we are not supposed to be those who judge. Only God is there for that. Otherwise, I mean, do not dishonor, or you will suffer.

Unfortunately, the law/government is way more corrupted than civilians, sometimes. They use that power to excessive limits, and it's a shame. Some die for no reason whatsoever, whether wrongfully accused and committed, or just ... Targeted.

Honestly, I feel they should suffer in a room by themselves, to think of what they have done. Maybe, if one could see the chance of light would they deserve a second "constructed/restricted" chance. But even then, who are we to judge, sometimes?

no it's dumb af and people who like it want it to be used as some sort of revenge.

the legal system isnt there to make the criminals suffer as much as possible or to get revenge ob them. most peiple arent in prison for life so rehabilitation and stuff like that should be a primary thing that prisons should focus on. people who are never getting out should still not be executed. it's unethical, if u kill someone innocent then Oops lmao, there are no good reasobs to do it etc.

also the talk abt victims deserving o get "justice" ir revenge, like.. no. the damahe has already been done and revenge or a twisted versiob of justice wont make things go back to how it was before or make things a lot better for the victim.

I'm against it because people can be wrongfully convicted and when someone dies, doesn't matter the things they did, most of the time they'll have a family who will suffer if they die.

There's a difference between pedophiles and child molesters, pedophilia is a mental disorder. People with pedophilia can't help their attraction because of their undeveloped brain, pedophiles don't necessarily act on their attractions you know. Child molesters are the one's who need the punishment, pedophiles need help to prevent those types of thoughts from happening because many know that their thoughts are disgusting and they hate them so they would never do anything to a child that harm them in that way.

-----

I don't believe in capital punishment because people can be wrongfully sentenced, I would also like to point out something Arize said: "How are we any better than a murderer if we are also taking a life?" Exactly, we aren't, its very hypocritical for those people to do this, we're trying to prove the point that killing people is bad and we go ahead and kill them. (Makes sense doesn't it?) Another reason why I'm against capital punishment is that I want them to suffer, it's like a disease, you can't suffer if you're gone and most people, I assume, want actual criminals to suffer for horrible crimes. Not get the easy way out because that's what it is.

Oh and the tax payers issue....your government thinks more about the ideals rather than their people. Trump's wall and capital punishment being perfect examples, you guys need more help than the already stable protection you have, so the American government should help their people instead of making them pay for idiotic things like that wall.

Well if they were "non offending" then they wouldn't be on trial in the first place.

I don't care about their wellbeing though, if they kill themselves I don't care.

i don't think it should be a punishment. everyone needs to be given therapy and rehabilitation rather than killing them.

I'm for it, but only for very specific occasions. If there is a murderer who has killed a multitude of people and will definitely kill people again, and is proven 100% to be the actual murderer, then yes. The death penalty being used in any other situation is moronic and irresponsible.

Even though jails are horrible in and of themselves I am against the death penalty. It's inhumane and just wrong, the whole eye for an eye BS doesn't pan out. HOWEVER, I think it should be an OPTION, as in if a person is served a life sentence (or several concurrent life sentences as some do get) they can choose instead to be painlessly killed instead, like assisted suicide since many people kill themselves in prison anyways. But having someone with a gavel sentence you to death is not something I think should happen.

It's not about justice - it's about vengeance. Blood thirst. Simple as that.

Well if they were "non offending" then they wouldn't be on trial in the first place.

I don't care about their wellbeing though, if they kill themselves I don't care.

People are wrongfully accused all the time though and you said it as if all pedophiles deserved pain (you didn't say child molesters which is differnet and I explained that) when some hate their disorder and want help, they can't help their attraction but yes they can act on them and I agree those people should be left in a lonely room for life. I don't know why I'm repeating myself.

Wait why did you type "non offending" like that? Accusations are flung around all the time, saying anyone on trial is a criminal is ignorant.

Last edited:
Back