Real places with weird names

Pistache

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
I thought that would be great reference for town names and also pretty fun :3
Just post your hometown, places you lived, visited, nearby cities that have weird names. Anything goes.
If you live in another country try to translate it literally to English :D

I'm Brazilian, my hometown is Don't-Touch-Me (N?o-Me-Toque). It was named after a throny plant.

My state (Great Southern River) is really creative with names. We also got places called Fat Tapir, Secret, Byre, Anthill, Pillow, Two Neighbors and many others.

Secret is great. I've seen the following conversation once
- Where are you from?
- Secret.
- C'mon. JUST TELL ME ALREADY

so, what places with funny names you've heard of?

Never visited, mostly because it's Wales, but I've still heard of a very lovely name in a Welsh town. It's called... Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. (I think it's pronounced much differently to how it's jotted down.)

It's Welsh, but it translates... into a full description of the entire area. "St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave". Obviously it has a shorthand name, Llanfairpwll.

Last edited:
I live near Stoner, British Columbia. I've also been by Spuzzum, British Columbia and Poopoo Creak. There are some other names here in B.C that are pretty odd, but I can't really remember them off of the top of my head lol

Oooh i've heard of that one before. Been listening to the pronunciation forever, but honestly that's just impossible.

I mean, it's not really a location, but when my dad was a kid his road was called My Street
People thought he was just saying my and not the actual name, obviously

There's a town here in Mississippi called Hot Coffee. There's also another one called It.

Never visited, mostly because it's Wales, but I've still heard of a very lovely name in a Welsh town. It's called... Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. (I think it's pronounced much differently to how it's jotted down.)

It's Welsh, but it translates... into a full description of the entire area. "St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave". Obviously it has a shorthand name, Llanfairpwll.

this has to be the most "looks like someone slammed their face into the keyboard a good number of times" name I've seen yet

or alternatively, "someone's cat walked all over the keyboard"

Last edited:
When I was in Canada, we drove through a place called Medicine Hat. I always found that kind of funny for a place name. There's some weird names in Scotland too, like Crossmyloof. What even is a loof, and why would you cross it? U crazy.

When I was in Canada, we drove through a place called Medicine Hat. I always found that kind of funny for a place name. There's some weird names in Scotland too, like Crossmyloof. What even is a loof, and why would you cross it? U crazy.

If you think Medicine Hat is strange, in Saskatchewan there are cities/towns called Elbow, Eyebrow, Climax, Moose Jaw, Mosquito Grizzly Bears Head Lean Man (yes that's a town)

There's so many towns with weird names in my region, including Berg (literally translates to "hill, mountain"), Deppenhausen ("Depp" is German for "stupid person") and Bockighofen ("bockig" is German for "grouchy").

Arizona has a bunch of weird town names:

Santa Claus
Top-Of-The-World
Surprise
Three Way-(Hmmm...I need to pay a visit here)
Ajo-The Spanish word for garlic
Happy Jack-Perhaps the founders of this town were big fans of The Who
Why
Nothing
Bullhead City

my home state of Indiana has a couple weird ones:
French Lick
Carbon
Napolean
Oolitic
Salamonia < sounds like a combination of Salmonella and Pneumonia lmao

Back