• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

To you, what are the SCARIEST movies?

abc123wee

KozyCat
Bells
Purple Candy
Blue Candy
Green Candy
Red Candy
Yellow Candy
-Eraserhead. Its feeling of pure isolation is unmatched, and isolation scares me
-The original It. I saw some of it as a kid, and Tim Curry's clown costume just really got to me. Even now I can't look at it for to long. Even the new one doesn't look as scary just because of my childhood fear.
-Arachnophobia. I have, well, arachnophobia. I can't even look at a picture of a spider, as long as its 1) big, or 2) hairy. They just really get to me. Even talking about them is giving me the chills.

Alright, so what are some of your scariest movies and why they get under your skin?

The Grudge series gave me nightmares every single night for 8 years and to be honest i'm still scared a little bit hahaha. That's the only movie(s) that truly scared me.

The Exorcist when I was really young or any movie that has tons of jumpscare haha but it doesn't come to a point that I would experience nightmares.

Anything to do with Hell or demons. Also, gore doesn't bother me much but if something is genuinely disturbing to look at or the movie is about being all alone and something's out to get you I will get scared. Honestly, my biggest fear is that I'll be alone somewhere with a serial killer trying to get me and there will be no one to save me.

It's very difficult to scare me with horror films. Even harder if they have a narrative of any kind.

Short horror-esque films are more my thing. Lost tapes, art films, avant-garde music videos. That's the sorta stuff that can genuinely disturb me.

Some examples include Dining Room or There Is Nothing, The Mind's Eye, Freaky Soup Guy, and The Talk of Creatures.

Biggest frustration is that you can hardly ever find anything out about these films. Part of the genius of them, though.

the original Japanese versions of Grudge and Pulse had me really skurred (there was one scene in Pulse when I closed my eyes lol).

also, Takashi Miike's Audition, had me horrified and my whole body broke out in a sweat..

and old school movies , Phantasm and Nightmare on Elm Street, and It, at ;east the first time i saw them, cause they had elements of things from my childhood nightmares.... (like the bad guy's arms stretching out after you, gahhh!)

The Grudge was really scary for me. Especially the Japanese version. Leprechaun too. I hated it.

The Ring (original) also gave me plenty of nightmares. I was afraid she'd come out of the television and kill me lmao.

Just something about the children in scary movies always scare the living hell out of me haha (?ー`)

Last edited:
I like horror films and don't scare easy so I'm just here looking at all the recs :) Personally, for recent horror films, I would suggest The Witch or The Autopsy of Jane Doe or Eyes of My Mother.

Is it bad that I found the grudge to be funny? Anyways, there hasn't really been a movie that has really scared me.

Last edited:
Stephen King's "It", The Grudge, and Rings are the only ones that really scared me, though it bothers me a bit if a movie has a really ambiguous ending or lots of mentally unstable people that do lunatic things

Probably Audition?
That movie was very very creepy.
The more you watch it, the more you get creeped out.

I usually don't get scared by many horror movies, but the 2013 version of We Are What We Are messed me up pretty bad for a while.. Pet Cemetery 2 also scared me a lot, but I haven't seen it since I was about seven and I have no idea if it's as scary as I remember it being or if I was just exaggerating.

Back