• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Should I get the Wii U?

Soot Sprite

~dirty~
Bells
Winter Mittens
Mailbox
I've been wanting a wii u since it came out but for one reason or another I never got it. Now, I have enough money saved that I would be comfortable spending that much on a new console but now I'm debating whether or not I should get it. The switch just came out, but right now there aren't enough games on it for me to justify buying it (and all I want to play is BOTW and that's on the wii u) I actually like the wii u and there are a lot of games I want on it but I've always been picky about consoles. I want one in really good condition but since nintendo stopped new Wii u production new ones are hard to find and expensive and it seems like every pre owned console I've bought I've had issues with. If I'm gonna spend that much money I want to make sure it's worth it. Anyone have any thoughts/information that could help with my decision?

I don't think it's worth it honestly. The Wii U is soaring in price to the point where it's getting past the Switch. I would especially avoid buying a pre-owned console. Those things always seem to have something wrong with them. I think you should consider buying a Switch. While there aren't a lot of games out for it now, there will be in the near future. The Wii U definitely has a wide array of good games to play for it and is a lot of fun. I just don't know how much longer Nintendo plans to support it once the Switch reaches a certain point. The Nintendo Switch is pretty inflated right now as well though. I'd say wait until you see more about restocks for it before purchasing one online.

Last edited:
Hmm you're in a tricky spot now. On the one hand, you've clearly done your homework and know what you want. But it's not going to be easy to actually find what you want.. and you're ready to buy now, so waiting is really hard.

I personally would not purchase a pre-owned console from an individual, or an ebay store (unless it's a major chain store just offering the same prices and terms as in-store).

In my area pre-owned consoles from a game store come with all the usual warrenties (granted by the store and by law), and I've actually not heard of anyone having unresolvable issues from purchasing one of those - the stores check each console thoroughly before offering them for sale. Even "cash converter" (you sell your goods for a fraction of the worth, they then sell your goods at a higher price) stores are good about checking consoles first and replacing/refunding if there's any issue (which can always happen, even with a brand new one). In Australia consumer rights are very much protected when it comes to things like this, but I know every country does things differently.

I love my WiiU. It's been fabulous for us and we've not had any issues with it. It was bought new and is now out of warrenty so we're in the currently in the same position as we would be if we'd bought a pre-owned one from someone. If something happens to it, I imagine my partner will try to track down a new or refurbished one just because he's like that, and he got this as a present for me. If he can't find new/reburbished then he'll get a pre-owned one from a local games store. I'd be happy with that to begin with, myself, but it's no big deal either way.

In your position I would look at the re-sell value a WiiU (and it's games) has in your area. Whether you purchase one and decide to sell it again within the next year or so or not, it's important to know what the numbers look like in case that starts looking like the better option as time goes by. Depending on how easy it will be to sell/trade in your WiiU however suits you (going into a store = less money but less hassle, private sale = more money but usually more hassle), the case for a WiiU might look stronger or weaker.

Ultimately you're decision is probably going to come down to a) how long you can wait to play BOTW, b) stock availability of switch and WiiU, and c) which is the better deal for you financially now and in the longer term.

I hope you find a way to get want you want ASAP :)

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd wait longer before purchasing either the Wii U or Switch. At some point, most of the best Wii U titles are likely going to get ported or have another similar installment to either 3DS or Switch. Heck, some of them are already released/planned for another Nintendo console.

Keep in mind that E3 2017 is only a couple of months away from now. This yearly event is bound to reveal many more titles for 3DS and Switch, which would go on to be released within the next 6 months or so.

In case you're too impatient waiting for Switch to grow a decent enough gaming library, your trusty 3DS already boasts a ludicrously large amount of games worth playing. If you haven't bought many of them, I'd encourage to try those games to broaden your tastes in gaming.

As a late adopter of the Wii U (bought mine 3-4 months before the Switch came out), I am so glad that I bought it when I did because the games are relatively cheap now and it is still possible to find brand new copies of games/accessories as well for a reduced price. Another plus that came with buying the Wii U was that I was able to replace my Wii with a new system that can play all of my current library plus more. If I were you, I would definitely buy a Wii U right now while they are still relatively easy to find at brick & mortar stores since Wii U stuff will be much rarer than Gamecube stuff in the future (which means that the Wii U will generate a lucrative collector's market as well since low supply & high demand = $$$). Another thing to keep in mind as well is that the Wii U is rich with many exclusives that won't ever be ported to the Switch ever (like Pikmin 3, Xenoblade X, Windwaker/Twilight Princess HD, etc.) because of how they were programmed (any Wii U game with gamepad functionality will most likely not be ported since the Switch is incapable of running 2 screens at once). It's up to you in the end though, but do know that now is time (especially before the end of 2017) to buy Wii U stuff if you want to get the most out of your buck. Hope this helps!

I wouldn't recommend it. In a year or so if you still want to play games on the Wii U you've missed you would probably be able to get one for a much better price.

If you want anything like Mario Kart or Splatoon, they're being ported to the Switch anyway, with minor improvements but paid online. Are there any Wii U releases you really, really want?

You should buy it for wind waker hd and twilight princess hd alone i think

You should buy it for wind waker hd and twilight princess hd alone i think

You'd be better off buying a Wii, Gamecube copies of those games, GC controller and memory card in that case.

I'd say wait and see, because E3 is when they will definitely announce more games. I imagine there will be some ports in there as well and well a lot of Wii U's library has already been ported to the 3DS.

You'd be better off buying a Wii, Gamecube copies of those games, GC controller and memory card in that case.

I'd say wait and see, because E3 is when they will definitely announce more games. I imagine there will be some ports in there as well and well a lot of Wii U's library has already been ported to the 3DS.

The originals are very blurry now for todays standards. Wind waker is alright but tp didn't age well. It's very blurry

I say the Wii U is still worth buying. The complaint many had in its early days was lack of games. Now, there is plenty of genres to choose from and in my area at least, the Wii U is fairly cheap secondhand compared to PS4 and Xbox One used. If there is a sizable chunk of games on the console that you are interested in that are not on other consoles, I'd say go for it!

Honestly, no. The Wii U still doesn't have a very good library of games, at least for me. It's up to you, though.

Back