What do you think of video game piracy? (or piracy in general)

Have you been illegally downloading food?

Have you not illegally downloaded holographic meatloaf before? You're really missing out.

tumblr_ndh058acYC1sg4wi5o1_400.gif

I've never pirated a game. But if someone does it I don't really blame them if they can't resist. Especially if there is no re-release of it on like psn or virtual console or the xbox marketplace (or whatever it's called). I remember before Rare Replay was released, Conker's Bad Fur Day was being sold for an absolutely insane 300 dollars.

TV shows, movies, music, books have done it.

Video games? No. I downloaded a ROM for Pokemon Snap once but I also bought it on the Wii eShop a few weeks (or month, I don't remember) afterwards. Whatever the Virtual thingy is called. And only did the ROM and virtual console because my N64 Snap cartridge was lost. So. Paid for the same game twice and also downloaded it illegally. Lol.

My laptop is a potato so there's no point in pirating games I can't run.

I hate G2A.

for me pirating games is a lot more work than just buying it, but working for money is way more work than pirating. i only pirate old games, new games i don't pirate as much, i tend to just buy it at the store.

Well, I stream my TV shows on non-official websites as I can't access the official ones. Not really a fan of pirating them as it makes no sense, I can just watch them legally (for my country) online why would I feel the need to own them illegally?

As for games, I don't see a point either tbh. I do a few surveys online, make $5 a week from it and spend that money on bundles. I own 523 games (like 100 good ones) and paid $80 out of my own pockets over the course of five years. Most of that money went to discounted AAA titles.

Like for example, last christmas I treated myself and bought Mirror's Edge, South Park, LA Noire, Mafia II and Bully for $30 during the sale. I usually spend that kind of money on a nice evening with friends out, so why should I get so stingy when it comes to my main hobby? Because it's so easy to steal it?

If you can justify it for "evil" companies, that's your right to do so and I would never look down on anybody for pirating. But please remember that when at the end of the year the sales were unexpectedly low, it's not the executives who get their paychecks cut. I guess that's just more of a thought if you're working yourself.

Like I get stealing food if you need to feed your family, but why steal games if you already have enough to play with? Seeing as this is an AC forum I'd assume that everybody here at very least owns a version of it and would be well off with it.

I don't know. It's so easy to get pocket money online and sites like Humble Bundle and Bundlestars constantly offer solid titles for $1, so I don't really see where the greed comes from the PC community.

When I was more into my DS ('06-'14), I'd never own more than two games. If I wanted a new one, I'd have to sell old ones. And it was okay, it's not like I ever needed to own like 10 DS games to play as AC and another more storydriven game was more than enough for me.

And tbh it would suck if Animal Crossing New Leaf never existed if no one was willing to put money into it. You're never the only one who pirates. Millions do. It's one thing to prevent another broken EA game, but please let us have more Stardew Valleys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've pirated games in the past, but they've usually been fairly old/difficult to get physical copies of. Generally speaking though I prefer being able to play games on whatever console/handheld they were made for because it just feels better imo. I'm against pirating games from indie devs though because I feel like most of them really need the money

Last edited:
I mean if I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, it's not like they lost any money

But I cba to look up dodgy versions online because it's hard and viruses and all that
I just don't play them :/ (online games at least)

---

So I don't have an issue with it
My uncle used to pirate DS games for me when I was a kid and I could hack Super Mario in the settings lmaoo

If the game's actually good and you want to support it (and you can afford it) then I think it's better to actually buy it - for example AC and TLOU or something

Last edited:
Well there's not really any other way I'd be able to play Japan-only games. I think the only game I pirated that I could've bought was Metroid: Zero Mission. But games like the original Rhythm Heaven and MOTHER 3 (HAPPY 11TH ANNIVERSARY TODAY LUCAS!)? I'll pirate those games and not feel the slightest bit of guilt. Ninty's fault tbh, not mine.

I wouldn't pirate a game. I also don't really care about what other people do, since it doesn't really affect me. But to be completely honest, the ban Nintendo issued on Pokemon sumo hackers was hilarious.
I knew someone who did it and had to tell everyone about how cool the game was before it was released. Hearing they were banned from online play was truly a top 2016 experience.

I recognize the importance of actually buying, but I can't change the minds of others. I just try to do what I think is right ~
(That said, I do download a ton of music :/ )

It only makes sense either if you own the game and download a rom or if the game is nearly impossible to get a hold of (via age, 300$ for what should be 50$) Or if the game is discontinued. Then I'm okay with it.

i generally don't pirate games, if i want it i usually buy it. only exception is some sims 4 games and a game i already owned but had to reinstall and i couldnt install my original copy so i just pirated it instead.

- - - Post Merge - - -

oh yeah also my sister and i got a ds gamecard with a bunch of pirated ds games from my uncle back in the days lol. i played some mario game but with peach and yoshi as main characters instead of mario.

I honestly couldn't care less about piracy any kind. That said, I don't really pirate video games. I'm just not into gaming enough that I'd actually feel the desire to. (plus, my PC sucks, so there's really nothing that I could actually pirate and then play anyway) Older games maybe. But that's only because they're super hard to find and the original format just isn't compatible with my system.

Now songs, movies, TV shows on the other hand..

Last edited:
Back