• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

opinion on memes?

I know this looks like a "you kids and your New Things" kinda comment but I miss the classics like captcha comics and troll physics. New ones can be funny but they don't have that kind of charm and they usually stop being funny really quick due to being repetitive and overdone.

i guess i dont mind them but its very rare to find a good one

since this is a topic of utmost importance i will comment

tbh I'd prefer a few quality memes a year compared to what we have now, where every week there seems to be a new stupid meme

personally, I like the high turnover rate for new memes... it keeps them from getting stale. a lot of old memes are kind of played out at this point.

Memes are honestly the future of the art world. More often than not, memes end up being created unintentionally. I've found a lot of truly amazing artists through their memes.

I miss the good ole days when memes were unique? and actually funny. Nowadays someone accidentally makes a meme and it becomes overused and annoying and stale. Smh people are thirsty when it comes to memes these days uwu

I think I like kinda...jokes or funny scenarios more than memes tbh... I got into kpop, so I follow accounts like that on Instagram, etc

Guys just remember that Pepe the Frog is a symbol of hate speech and oppression, a modern day swastika.

Memes aren't funny anymore. They're all just stupid. Exactly why I love memes.

I find them funny, idc. Also I'm an armchair sociologist and sociolinguist, so it fascinates me how memes have their own dialect or language in a way, and rules on how to use them correctly, and not to mention all the ways it impacts culture and vice versa. Memes and internet culture in general is really fascinating.

memes can be cool
sometimes i wonder why i found certain memes funny like the lazytown one because thats an example of what got stale very quickly, you can disagree with me if you want to
but memes have like, evolved. look at this image.

2017_-_1.jpg

its so unfunny that its funny. its truly art. people use troll or epic faces to piss others off because its so unfunny. its amazing, really. perfection.

Last edited:
I am always down for memes, even the short ones that last a few days max. But there are some that I keep returning to.

However, when they turn up on facebook 3 months after I was done with them it can be little stale...

They are lame and sometimes overused by children. I have a 13 year old brother also adults.

Last edited:
There are some that are funny because they are so relatable. However, the majority are just trying too hard to be hilarious when they aren't. For that reason, I really dislike "meme culture" save for the rare clever ones.

memes are Complex . there are some tru works of art but then there are those Rly Bad memes that ten yr olds will scream at any time because they have no chill. it can b hard to tell what makes a meme good or bad but the difference is Big
forced memes make me Die most of the time . also when memes die theyre not as good anymore bUt imp there are sime exceptions that will never die in my heart

This is just my opinion, but the quality of memes, to me at least, has been going down since 2012 or so. For example, I thought Gangnam Style was a good song, but it was overblown with all the dancing, and then Harlem Shake and so forth. The ones that have really bothered me have been ones I've been noticing within the last year, as I've noticed all this focus on depression, which is something very serious. I personally suffer from depression, although I do not have as severe as my mom, aunt, and uncle, who have had much difficulty dealing with it, especially my uncle, who has constantly been depressed since 1993.
Honestly, at this point, the only memes I like are vaporwave.

Last edited:
Back