• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

can gold shovels get ore from daily bell rock?

Been wondering that myself . Cause all I get is bells when I use my golden shovel.

Nope, that's just the silver unfortunately. All gold can do is create bell trees.

Blech. Duly noted. I'll be switching to a silver shovel ASAP.

OP, it might also be worth noting that silver axes have a 100% chance of producing special patterned stumps when cutting down trees. Gold axes have a chance, but it's lower.

Nope, that's just the silver unfortunately. All gold can do is create bell trees.

The gold shovel does more than creating Bell trees. When using a gold shovel to bury fertilizer, it increases the odds of spawning hybrids or perfect fruit trees.

The gold shovel does more than creating Bell trees. When using a gold shovel to bury fertilizer, it increases the odds of spawning hybrids or perfect fruit trees.

That's true I guess, I've just never seen that happen for myself so I couldn't confirm. Good to know :)

That only became possible with the update. Long term the silver shovel still seems like a more profitable tool

- - - Post Merge - - -

Blech. Duly noted. I'll be switching to a silver shovel ASAP.

OP, it might also be worth noting that silver axes have a 100% chance of producing special patterned stumps when cutting down trees. Gold axes have a chance, but it's lower.

Unfortunately silver axes still break after repeated use, and show rarely in the island gift shop. Gold axe is a better investment for stump patterns, though it may mean buying a lot of saplings

That only became possible with the update. Long term the silver shovel still seems like a more profitable tool

- - - Post Merge - - -

Unfortunately silver axes still break after repeated use, and show rarely in the island gift shop. Gold axe is a better investment for stump patterns, though it may mean buying a lot of saplings

This is true, but you can use the gold axe for the first chops, and then the silver for the last chop. With this, you still have a higher chance on a pattern stump and save on the durability of your silver axe!

With silver axes I do as Melyora says - use a normal(or gold) axe for the first 2 chops and the last chop with the silver axe - you still get the patterned stump design.
I don't use my gold axe, leave it in storage, don't want to carry it around, partly as I don't want to sell it by mistake (Reece will tell you that you are selling something rare, but you can still sell it) - I just use ordinary axes for everyday tree cutting.

Silver tools - I buy when I see in them in the museum shop, (silver axe only on island, your own or CT, I've only ever seen them on my own island) so I have them for all characters plus spares - again in case I sell by mistake. (I haven't as yet, but at some point, I probably will).
The only gold tool I have apart from the axe is the sling shot - & I do use/carry that, keep stored in a letter, & hopefully I won't sell by mistake. Argh!
I make sure I go for the money rock every day, with all my characters, as I often get one ore rock a day (not every day, but more often than not). Get a lot of ores, but still short on the gold.

Incorrect. It's been a feature all this time. Only it's hard to make clear, as you have to do a lot of experiments to get a reliable outcome.

With silver axes I do as Melyora says - use a normal(or gold) axe for the first 2 chops and the last chop with the silver axe - you still get the patterned stump design.
I don't use my gold axe, leave it in storage, don't want to carry it around, partly as I don't want to sell it by mistake (Reece will tell you that you are selling something rare, but you can still sell it) - I just use ordinary axes for everyday tree cutting.

Silver tools - I buy when I see in them in the museum shop, (silver axe only on island, your own or CT, I've only ever seen them on my own island) so I have them for all characters plus spares - again in case I sell by mistake. (I haven't as yet, but at some point, I probably will).
The only gold tool I have apart from the axe is the sling shot - & I do use/carry that, keep stored in a letter, & hopefully I won't sell by mistake. Argh!
I make sure I go for the money rock every day, with all my characters, as I often get one ore rock a day (not every day, but more often than not). Get a lot of ores, but still short on the gold.

I carry around a bunch of gold and silver tools for each of my 8 characters, and I eliminate the risk of selling by never leaving them in my pockets when going into Re-Tail to sell items. My tools go back on the letters or else get dropped on the ground (if I've filled letters with items to be sold for some reason). You can't sell things that Reese can't see!

Also worth noting that there are lots of options to purchase/trade for both silver and gold tools on this site. I used to stress that I'd misplace my tools or somehow sell them despite my caution. Now, I don't - well I wouldn't be *happy* if I lost/sold one or more of them, I know I can easily get replacements here.

:)

Back