• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

"Can't Afford the Vet, Don't Get the Pet"... thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeping on topic, I think there should be more support charities/programs for people who have fallen into financial crisis and want to keep their pet.

I think vets should tone the h*ck down in the first place and not charge me $300 to look at my dog's foot for 5 minutes

it kind of pains me that this isn't the general consensus? if you can't afford a prospective vet bill in the case of pet illness, don't adopt/purchase a pet. i never quite thought about it in this light until i heard someone say it, but even though having a particular pet is only a fraction of your life, you're basically all of theirs. pets take planning, and i think it's irresponsible if you decide to get one fully knowing you won't be able to afford the vet when/if the time comes. of course financial instability can't be blamed on the owner, but i don't think that's the issue that quote's trying to get at. like, tbh i've wanted a cat sooo bad for practically my 20+ years of existence but i've never gone through with getting one since i know i can't afford more than some checkups. it sucks but it's selfish otherwise.

if you already bought the pet while you had money i don't think it's fair that you have to get rid of it due to incoming poverty. obv the animals need proper care - food, water and a home to live alongside the medical expenses it might need. but if it was me i wouldn't want to give up my dogs because i love them so much. it just matters how much you love the pets... i'd give up my own food to feed my dogs if i had to. getting rid of them is a choice but a heartbreaking one, i'd never do it. i'd make sure they got what they needed over my own needs.

of course it's not that easy as a few sentences but that statement is just stupid to me. all animals deserve to get equal and fair medical treatment. ofc vets need to make money but if an animal's life is in jeopardy then it should be taken care of without second thought. that's how i'd be if i were a vet anyways. if you can't afford to take care of a pet you shouldn't get one yes, but if you fall into poverty later on it's not really your fault.

I think vets should tone the h*ck down in the first place and not charge me $300 to look at my dog's foot for 5 minutes

Yeah, it's crazy to begin with. If healthcare - for animals and even for humans - was cheaper, people and their pets would be able to get medical attention quicker.

I've heard horror stories of people being charged $400+ to look at a hamster. Something that small shouldn't take up over $400 of your resources... It honestly makes taking your pet to the vet sound like you're buying a new car. :(

Smells argument ( it's coming)!! But in all seriousness

Forestyne and I have not been arguing at all. Actually we've been in agreement for the most part.. Not sure what you mean by this comment lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

Keeping on topic, I think there should be more support charities/programs for people who have fallen into financial crisis and want to keep their pet.

Yeah. Kind of like a pet welfare?

if theyre strays take them in! at least they'll have a home. but if you have money to buy a pet but no money for the vet you shouldnt get a pet. be prepared :D

if theyre strays take them in! at least they'll have a home. but if you have money to buy a pet but no money for the vet you shouldnt get a pet. be prepared :D

It'd be better to find a home that can actually take care of them than just adopting any stray you find. We'd have about 15 cats and even a couple more dogs if we did that.

Maybe foster them if you can, but don't take in an animal if you don't have the proper experience or necessities to do so or if you can't provide the best for it.

Last edited:
it's correct, of course. it's not really just about the "vet" it implies that owning a pet is a huge responsibility and not just about having a cute little thing that moves around for your enjoyment, if you can't afford that responsibility then do the animal a favor and let it be in a place or with people who can afford it.

I support this! Our cat was a stray, we found her tied up in a bin liner when she was a kitten. When we got her home she was purring like crazy, even cwtched (cuddled) up next to me, lying on her back like a little baby and purring away. :blush: She is and always will be my baby.

As long as you have the facilities, food and everything to care for an animal, I don't see why not.

- - - Post Merge - - -

it's correct, of course. it's not really just about the "vet" it implies that owning a pet is a huge responsibility and not just about having a cute little thing that moves around for your enjoyment, if you can't afford that responsibility then do the animal a favor and let it be in a place or with people who can afford it.

I mean, the thread was about whether it's okay for somebody to own a pet if they can't provide veterinary care, but you're right. Animals are a big responsibility.

But I think that if you're willing to do whatever you can to provide care for the animal, it's okay. Just as long as it doesn't get to the point where it can't be fed, given water or is being kept outside.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah! I believe that some vets in the States do a thing called 'Care Credit' (I think it's called), where you pay off the vet bills bit by bit, but I assume there'd be interest on it too. Here in the UK, there's a charity called the PDSA, that provides free vet care if you qualify (if you're on benefits). I would, however, like to see more projects and programs internationally that can help people provide veterinary care for their pets as well if they are unable to take care of them.

Last edited:
I agree, and disagree. People obviously shouldn't take in pets if they are struggling to begin with, but if someone already owns the animal and happens to fall on hard times that is different. Things are tough right now, and nothing is guaranteed to last. Plus, the prices some vets charge is outrageous. Some people can afford all of the basic needs and wants for their pets, but might not have hundreds of dollars to spend on a ten minute checkup, let alone thousands of dollars if something serious happens. I'm not saying it's right to neglect your pet if they're seriously suffering and need medical attention right away, but I'm just saying I don't think it's irrisponsible for someone who can provide the basics and gives their animal a loving home, but might struggle a bit when it comes to other areas.

I personally agree to an extent. There's several circumstances that can change that often are out of the pet owner's control that people already mentioned on here (unemployment, health decline, etc.). I personally believe giving away your pet should be the very last resort because re-homing the animal is very tricky for shelters, especially if the animal is already at an advanced age. Most people who buy or adopt want an animal early in age. Some animals who were previously adopted may find it difficult to trust new owners no matter how loving they may be because of separation anxiety or past abuse. Some may be too attached to their owners and become stressed or depressed. (Obviously, if an animal is being abused by their owner, that's a different situation; it is critical to find a new home for the pet's health and safety. And of course, if you were already struggling keeping up with bills prior having a pet, then it's best to wait to get one until you're in a better financial situation.)

On the other hand, all pets deserve the best quality of life they can. Before considering to add a pet to your home, please research the animal heavily before committing. There are some species that face far more health issues than others. It's also important to be aware of how much attention, grooming, bathing, and exercise pets require and how compatible that fares with your lifestyle. That also includes if you already have other pets in your home. A good shelter recognizes if you already have other animals, and will insist on a trial period to see if the new pet is compatible with the other pets.

Having a pet was one of the most rewarding parts of my life. For those of you who already have a pet, cherish them because you matter so much to them. <3

I think where you live, the economy, and the cultural norms there play a significant role in how people think about responsible pet ownership. As well as personal experience and circumstances. I live in a major capital city with access to 24-hour vets (including services that will do home visits for reasonable costs). Whilst veterinary medicine costs are not publicly funded or rebated as human medicine ones are, the costs here are more than reasonable (to the detriment of paying vets and vet nurses appropriately, sadly) :

"A standard consultation with a vet will cost between $50 and $85. For a dog, annual vaccinations cost about $120, flea treatments cost roughly $220 a year and worming costs $40 a year. ?Broadly speaking, it works out to about $1 a day for basic maintenance of an animal,? he says.

Notwithstanding emergencies, the main expenses of owning an animal come at the start of its life. Hong says three initial vaccinations for a puppy or kitten alone cost about $330 altogether. The cost of de-sexing depends on the animal and its sex."

http://www.smh.com.au/money/what-price-is-your-pet-mans-best-and-dearest-friend-20140527-zrpv1.html

We have an oversupply of vets compared to need which means that people in non-rural areas have a lot of choices when looking around - this helps keeps costs down. Additionally our vet services provide around $30 million per annum pro bono. http://www.ava.com.au/13030

My partner and I have a 3 legged cat he found at a veterinary centre that provides rescue and rehabilitation services years ago. He only discovered she was missing a limb as they were preparing the paperwork, she was so lively - despite still having post-op bandages on! Any further vet services she needed related to her surgery would have been covered by them pro bono, though thankfully she was absolutely fine.

She's in perfect health but currently overdue her vet checkup as travelling and being in a vet room distresses her greatly (due to previous owner's abuse of her). We have opted to postponed her next checkup until we know if an interstate relocation is going to happen (as it could become an international relocation, it's important we have more information before inflicting 2+ traumatic incidents on Pashta if we could have made it 1+ instead).

providing the animal with food, water and shelter alone is not enough. the FIRST thing you need to do when owning a pet is to do a full check on its health, you also need to have a full background on how to take care of it by giving feeding it the right thing at the right time and study its behavior, it needs dedication and full care from the owner's part. it's these things that you can't look away from if you don't want the animal to die from a disease or something.

I agree, and disagree. People obviously shouldn't take in pets if they are struggling to begin with, but if someone already owns the animal and happens to fall on hard times that is different. Things are tough right now, and nothing is guaranteed to last. Plus, the prices some vets charge is outrageous. Some people can afford all of the basic needs and wants for their pets, but might not have hundreds of dollars to spend on a ten minute checkup, let alone thousands of dollars if something serious happens. I'm not saying it's right to neglect your pet if they're seriously suffering and need medical attention right away, but I'm just saying I don't think it's irrisponsible for someone who can provide the basics and gives their animal a loving home, but might struggle a bit when it comes to other areas.

I agree. Obviously don't get a pet if you know you won't be able to take care of it, but if you already have the pet and have come across hard times with money, it doesn't make you a bad owner. I do draw the line at being so financially unable to care for the animal that it becomes neglectful and harmful to the animal.

I've come across people who have been too embarrassed to take their pets to the vet because of how bad their pet's health is, and I'm torn on it. I'd understand you feeling guilty, but at the same time it's no excuse to not get your pet immediate medical attention when it gets so bad that it needs it, just because of your ego.

-- snip --

I've come across people who have been too embarrassed to take their pets to the vet because of how bad their pet's health is, and I'm torn on it. I'd understand you feeling guilty, but at the same time it's no excuse to not get your pet immediate medical attention when it gets so bad that it needs it, just because of your ego.

This is a widespread problem regarding not just pet health but human health, too. Routine GP checkups, annual dental checkups and having recommended procedures done such as fillings, routine gynaecological checkups (female reproductive organs medicine), and regular paediatrician appointments (children's medicine) are all notorious for having patients that delay at least partly due to embarrassment/guilt about how bad things are and/or how long the delay has already been. Even when the initial delay was completely reasonable (scheduling issues, holiday, financial situation, family emergency etc), I have had to convince probably dozens of parents - including my own mother - that neither the receptionist nor the doctor/dentist actually *cares* how long it's been since you were supposed to come back - and if somehow they do, the important thing is that you're there NOW. They can't help you if you don't show up!

Whilst I understand the psychology behind it, and that there are frequently complicated things going on that contribute to this happening (mental health issues, medical conditions, low self esteem, socio-economic factors, and access to reliable transport in particular) ... I must admit it can make my blood boil like few things can to know that a child is not receiving appropriate medical care and treatment because of issues a parent chooses not to address. I'm aware I'm very sensitive to this for personal and professional reasons, and that the appearance of "choice" is not nearly accurate - it's one of those things that LOOKS obvious and clear-cut from an outside perspective but is generally the opposite when you're in the midst of it. But it's a continued struggle for me to remain calm in those situations, and I think it probably always will.

Please only post if you're contributing to the thread. Your post has no discussion value whatsoever.

Plus, there hasn't been an argument, it has been very civil.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Please don't tell me what to do, I have a right to post whatever I want thank you

- - - Post Merge - - -

Forestyne and I have not been arguing at all. Actually we've been in agreement for the most part.. Not sure what you mean by this comment lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

No I was saying it might start an argument not saying it DID

Please don't tell me what to do, I have a right to post whatever I want thank you

- - - Post Merge - - -

No I was saying it might start an argument not saying it DID

What you posted was against the forum rules, though, and does not contribute whatsoever to the conversation.

To me, all it seems you were trying to do was spark an argument.

Last edited:
What you posted was against the forum rules, though, and does not contribute whatsoever to the conversation.

Not really, at least I'm not the one who comes into every discussion and start fights, you already have some infractions, wouldn't want to get more
If your trying to start an argument your not going to win thank you

This is a widespread problem regarding not just pet health but human health, too. Routine GP checkups, annual dental checkups and having recommended procedures done such as fillings, routine gynaecological checkups (female reproductive organs medicine), and regular paediatrician appointments (children's medicine) are all notorious for having patients that delay at least partly due to embarrassment/guilt about how bad things are and/or how long the delay has already been. Even when the initial delay was completely reasonable (scheduling issues, holiday, financial situation, family emergency etc), I have had to convince probably dozens of parents - including my own mother - that neither the receptionist nor the doctor/dentist actually *cares* how long it's been since you were supposed to come back - and if somehow they do, the important thing is that you're there NOW. They can't help you if you don't show up!

I was scared a few weeks ago to go to the dentist because of my tooth rot, when I got there nobody even cared I hadn't been for 5 years! Unfortunately I still have to get surgery on the tooth. I'm sure that if you took your sick pet to the vet, the vet wouldn't mind nor would judge you, as you'd be giving the pet the medical attention it needs. Same with humans. As long as you're providing it with care when it needs it, it's perfectly fine.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Not really, at least I'm not the one who comes into every discussion and start fights, you already have some infractions, wouldn't want to get more
If your trying to start an argument your not going to win thank you

I'll get a warning for mini-modding but 1) don't talk about my infractions 2) don't try to escalate arguments 3) stop personally attacking me for informing you of the rules in this forum and 4)*you're.

I was scared a few weeks ago to go to the dentist because of my tooth rot, when I got there nobody even cared I hadn't been for 5 years! Unfortunately I still have to get surgery on the tooth. I'm sure that if you took your sick pet to the vet, the vet wouldn't mind nor would judge you, as you'd be giving the pet the medical attention it needs. Same with humans. As long as you're providing it with care when it needs it, it's perfectly fine.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'll get a warning for mini-modding but 1) don't talk about my infractions 2) don't try to escalate arguments 3) stop personally attacking me for informing you of the rules in this forum and 4)*you're.
Excuse me? Look I'm not trying to start an argument, and so what if my post was irrelevant instead of yapping at me about it you could have said it nicer to me instead of bashing on me about how it's against the forums, and what's so bothering about my post? And actually the mods tell me what to do not you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back