• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Worst year for Cartoon Network

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Apple 🍎
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
So here's the thing. Cartoon Network has been running for 25 years so far (it debuted in 1992). Out of all 25 years, what year do you think was Cartoon Network at its worst? You can also talk about what actions they made you hated most.

I'll share my opinion later, but I do have to admit that after 2004, the channel went the wrong direction. When I was a teen, I was unaware about how CN was going downhill, but I was finally getting it. I also think it has improved after a while.

Tbh I never really liked nor watched Cartoon Network, but I would say, probably out of nostalgia but mostly bmbecause its true, it really got bad around 2013-2016. I think it's doing a bit better noe but idk I watch it less now than I did when I was younger.

Sadly the amazing world of gumball is ending this year, and regular show ended. They were two of the three decent shows on CN i prefer adult swim now. RIP CN

2007, when Stuart Snyder replaced Jim Samples as CEO due to the fallout from the Boston bomb scare. It hasn't been the same ever since. Craig McCracken bailed in 2009 after being with CN for 15 years, Toonami was ended after an 11 year run, and live-action reality shows appeared on the channel.

Last edited:
remember when cartoon network execs thought it'd be a cool idea to remove cartoons from cartoon network?

good times

2007, when Stuart Snyder replaced Jim Samples as CEO due to the fallout from the Boston bomb scare. It hasn't been the same ever since. Craig McCracken bailed in 2009 after being with CN for 15 years, Toonami was ended after an 11 year run, and live-action reality shows appeared on the channel.

Pretty interesting explanation. And that was 10 years ago. However, it has been already going downhill since 2005 when flash animation started to take effect. Atomic Betty and Totally Spies were okay at best, but compared to what was on from 1998 to 2003, they were the rock bottom. But when they started picking up Superdog and My Gym Partner's a Monkey, that was just about it.

If you want to know what I think was the worst year for CN, it was 2009. All of the shows that premiered before 2004 are already dead. Camp Lazlo and Foster's were also dead. Toonami was already nixed and some of the Kid's WB shows like Teen Titans stopped airing prior. So CN was left in the wasteland by 2009 as the channel continued to go down the drain. Chowder and Flapjack, two of the better shows at the time, went downhill very badly. Total Drama was killed by their second season due to several problems that went on (such as repetition of old plot elements and the use of grudges from previous episodes and from the last season). And nearly all the other shows (like Johnny Test and League of Super Evil) were just crap. But what was even worse is they premiered live action shows and promoted them heavily. Thankfully, they have cleaned up since 2010, but this will go to their permanent records.

2008 was a close second because that was when the last of the good shows from 1998 to 2005 have ended while Toonami was ultimately cancelled. Not only that, but they premiered four crap shows while Chowder got a huge delay between a few episodes (especially with the Sniffleball episode and the Puckerberry episode).

whenever they tried to remake old cartoons that were actually pretty good then failed horribly

i still throw up in my mouth when i think about the power puff girls remake

I have to admit, the PowerPuff Girls reboot was a prime example of how film and TV these days are obsessed with reboots and revival of old franchises. Cartoon Network ruined Teen Titans and PowerPuff Girls, just like how Ghostbusters and Independence Day were ruined. The first episode of South Park's 20th season mocked on the obsession of remakes and reboots, including how The Force Awakens was a ripoff of another Star Wars movie. And let me tell you. When an old series is done, it must be left alone, especially if it was finished in the 20th century. I'm glad Chowder isn't getting a reboot. I don't want it to be ruined just like how the PowerPuff Girls got ruined.

Sadly the amazing world of gumball is ending this year, and regular show ended. They were two of the three decent shows on CN i prefer adult swim now. RIP CN

So even in this time and age, Cartoon Network can't keep a show alive for long. But hey, 6 years isn't that bad. But I did remember that before the days of Adventure Time, Cartoon Network's shows used to be a lot shorter. Shows like Chowder and Camp Lazlo didn't even last three full years. And almost all the other shows from 2005 to 2009 got cancelled after 26 episodes or two years. Even if the shows are bad, I still don't like how they're ending them too early. And some couldn't even last a year on the network.

That CN Real thing was a mistake! Glad to see it gone.

whenever they started airing steven universe

This so much. When hiatuses started becoming the norm, and you had to begin checking the CN air date schedule just to catch any reruns of anything other than TTG or one of the other new shows, I stopped watching it. CN airs literally nothing but TTG nowadays and weird new shows that have no plot or interesting aspects.

Glob forbid they can't make a decent cartoon anymore and air it often enough to be worthwhile.

I would have to say 2005-2007 were really its weakest years.

Camp lazlo
Chowder
the original Ben 10
Squirrel Boy
Class of 3000

all of them are subpar cartoons

Last edited:
Hide yourself; the fanboys are coming!

winter is coming

My point was, even though Steven Universe is a god-awful show that shouldn't exist, but it did mark the decline in the quality of their shows. They ended Regular Show, The Amazing World of Gumball (all good shows), the Powerpuff Girls remake happened (bleugh) and they're ending Adventure Time. Slap my ass and call me Daisy, but the airing of Steven Universe was when everything went down a steep slope into a pile of flaming dog ****.

Last edited:
I have to admit, the PowerPuff Girls reboot was a prime example of how film and TV these days are obsessed with reboots and revival of old franchises. Cartoon Network ruined Teen Titans and PowerPuff Girls, just like how Ghostbusters and Independence Day were ruined.

Directors and writers have run out of ideas, that's why they remake classic franchises as a money-grab. Remakes are always terrible. It makes me feel sick.

- - - Post Merge - - -

what I thought people absolutely loved Steven Universe

nah fam
SJWs maybe

Last edited:
Ben 10
That's where it goes downhill
However , when it REALLY went downhill was 2011 - 2012 , mostly due to the new ****ty live-actions they did (some for worldwide , and others for Latin America only).

That's when it went really **** , because atleast for 2005 - 2010 there were some decent shows.
Atleast in 2015 got somewhat up again with other cartons (SU , WBB , etc.)

Back