• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Servers VS Guests

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Apple 🍎
Durian 🌽
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
I want to have a fun discussion between restaurant servers and those who simply eat at restaurants. A lot of the time, we don't see eye to eye and I think it'll be interesting to see what we would say to each other if we could! Remember to keep it fun and please do not start any disrespectful arguments.

Guests, as a server, I'd like to say please stop coming into the restaurant 2 minutes before closing. Most servers have been working since the morning and would like to go home on time for once.

As a guest, I'm so sorry if I didn't stack the plates well or organize the table so it's easier for you to clean.

Funny you mention this because I had a horrible experience with a server this week. As a guest, please don't use your political science major to start a debate with your customers and continue to do so while they eat.

As a guest, I'm so sorry if I didn't stack the plates well or organize the table so it's easier for you to clean.

Actually you're in luck! Most servers prefer to do the stacking on their own :) Although I always appreciate the gesture, I can clear a table with one trip if I stack the dishes myself, but would usually have to do multiple trips if the guest stacked it themselves. So don't feel bad about this!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Funny you mention this because I had a horrible experience with a server this week. As a guest, please don't use your political science major to start a debate with your customers and continue to do so while they eat.

Weird that a server would do that :( That just sounds terrible.

Actually you're in luck! Most servers prefer to do the stacking on their own :) Although I always appreciate the gesture, I can clear a table with one trip if I stack the dishes myself, but would usually have to do multiple trips if the guest stacked it themselves. So don't feel bad about this!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Weird that a server would do that :( That just sounds terrible.

I only stack very similar plates, not jumble them all up. I put the trash at the side, not on the plates. And the cups I set aside as well. And then I slide a tip under the plates.

Ive always had great servers! Ever since I started working in retail I try to be as nice/easy to serve as possible. To many butthole customers wouldnt want to ruin someones day.

As a server, please remove all your phones, bags, etc and make room at your table for the food, especially when I'm at your table with your dishes. Most of the time my hands are burning because the plates are hot and I have to hold it while you ignore me and I have to pretend it doesn't hurt the entire time.

I'd assume that you guys would like it if guests at least responded to a "how are you" ? I know where I work when I ask they either ignore me, cut me off or don't ask back. It's pretty annoying imo

I always panic when ordering and do my best to hurry and pick something so I don't hold them up. I also try not to be annoying and avoid asking for extra things or whatever cause I don't want them to get mad.

...I need a backbone omg.

I'd assume that you guys would like it if guests at least responded to a "how are you" ? I know where I work when I ask they either ignore me, cut me off or don't ask back. It's pretty annoying imo

Of course! :) Being polite is my number one criteria for liking my customers. Say please, thank you, respond to greetings and don't ignore, and I will go above and beyond for you. Even polite customers do annoying things but I am much happier to serve them because they are good people and it goes a long way :) so if a server greets you at the door, it's best not to just walk past them to choose your own table and just have manners. ^_^

- - - Post Merge - - -

I always panic when ordering and do my best to hurry and pick something so I don't hold them up. I also try not to be annoying and avoid asking for extra things or whatever cause I don't want them to get mad.

...I need a backbone omg.

Don't panic! It's okay take your time to choose, as long as the isn't 30 minutes (still need to have a fast turnover if we wanna get paid lol). But if you need 5 minutes, 10, whatever, just let your server know you need more time. They won't mind :) They probably have a lot of other things to do anyway. It's also best if the guest takes the time to make sure they order something they really think they'll like, rather than just pick something quickly and then not enjoy it. It does make us sad when the customers aren't enjoying their food or experience! :p So as long as you aren't asking for one thing at a time or interrupting your server as they're taking someone else's order (yes it happens), a good server will be glad to bring you what you need if you are just polite about it ^_^

when the server brings our food and says "enjoy your meal" and i say "you too" im so so so sorry im not being a dick or sarcastic im just oblivious

I don't work in retail but at Christmas I was buying some clothes and there was a really, very obviously miserable person at the checkout, and before I left I said "Merry Christmas", and I swear her face just lit right up.

It makes such a difference to be nice to people. Honestly, it does.

Is it just as funny for you when the customer orders a dish with a ridiculous name? :p like "yes I'll have the 'Big Jim's Greasy Finger Lickin' Good Grease Burger Deluxe'"? I wonder how many people are like me and just say "I'll have the burger" and point to it instead of saying the whole silly name lmao.

Is it just as funny for you when the customer orders a dish with a ridiculous name? :p like "yes I'll have the 'Big Jim's Greasy Finger Lickin' Good Grease Burger Deluxe'"? I wonder how many people are like me and just say "I'll have the burger" and point to it instead of saying the whole silly name lmao.

I haven't worked for a place that gives their dishes silly names but I can totally relate! I always just point to the menu when I eat our and that happens. Trust me, servers probably are as embarrassed to say it as you are, but they're paid to do it :p

- - - Post Merge - - -

when the server brings our food and says "enjoy your meal" and i say "you too" im so so so sorry im not being a dick or sarcastic im just oblivious

Lol! Oh gosh that remind me when a customer asked where the washroom was, and so I led her to it. And she was having a hard time walking so I held the door open for her and I said "Enjoy!" as she walked in...lol it's just a natural response :) So when that happens, we understand haha

As a guest, I'm really sorry I don't tip what you deserve...

As a server, I think I'll be too biased in this situation lol. If you live in USA, some servers only get paid $3/hr and literally live off the tips. That should really change tbh, but while things are like that, it really hurts the servers when they aren't tipped properly, considering they also have to give a portion of their tips to the other staff. My advice is always to just do take out if you cannot tip :) But if you choose to eat there, just don't leave nothing at all. Give maybe 10% so the server won't lose money with tip out from your table.

As a guest, I'm sorry that I'm sometimes messy and really really awkward when ordering.

Was a server for 3-4 years. So, as an ex-server, please do not leave a horrendous mess (trash and food everywhere on the floor and the tables, push as much of it to the side where the server can grab it easily) and then not tip. Don't leave nothing for tip when your server has done a good job - just because they're not "exemplary" - there's a LOT of customers that are dicks for 0 reason and it can really burn them out.

We appreciate kind gestures, kind words, and if you REALLY CAN'T leave a tip/or little in amount, just add a note! Like, "I'm sorry this isn't enough! you did a great job! have a good day!" or something.

Back