• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Funny and Annoying SJW Encounters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what if .... they were. ....., though ..................

You could still do what I suggested and say they said a racist thing instead of calling them names. I'm not defending racism, I'm just trying to not name call cause that solves nothing. Educate them rather than scold them.

At least, that's how I see it.

Being called a racist is an insult though. Being a racist is a negative thing, like being called stupid. Both are behavioral but are still insults.

You could mention that the person said something racist instead, which would no longer be a personal attack but still gets your point across.

I still don't see them as on the same level.
Being racist = You are demeaning a group of people, even if unintentional
Being stupid = You don't know anything, You're slow, You're an idiot
Both negative things to be of course (a racist probably being worse actually) but still different. People can change being racist, but you can't help if you're a slow learner.

not gonna lie, if someone called me an -ist or -phobe of any description, my first response wouldn't be to feel insulted, it would be to wonder what I'd said/done to elicit that response, and what I could do to fix it.

also, personally, I don't call people those things unless I've seen them display multiple instances of behavior befitting those terms and not making any attempt to change their act when called on it. I try to avoid saying "you're racist" in favor of "that thing you said/did was racist, and here's why," and hope that they'll learn from it.

Last edited:
You could still do what I suggested and say they said a racist thing instead of calling them names. I'm not defending racism, I'm just trying to not name call cause that solves nothing. Educate them rather than scold them.

At least, that's how I see it.

being called racist might hurt your feelings but it's a lot worse to do or say racist stuff to people so idc. if you do bad **** you have to deal with people not being super loving towards u

- - - Post Merge - - -

not gonna lie, if someone called me an -ist or -phobe of any description, my first response wouldn't be to feel insulted, it would be to wonder what I'd said/done to elicit that response, and what I could do to fix it.

also, personally, I don't people those things unless I've seen them display multiple instances of behavior befitting those terms and not making any attempt to change their act when called on it. I try to avoid saying "you're racist" in favor of "that thing you said/did was racist, and here's why," and hope that they'll learn from it.

yeah i agree. so many people get super defensive when theyre told they did something racist or homophobic or transphobic or whatever. really it's all cool if you apologize and understand that what you did was wrong and that u make sure to not do it again. it's not an attack on u as a person, it's calling you out on bad stuff youre saying or doing.

Both negative things to be of course (a racist probably being worse actually) but still different. People can change being racist, but you can't help if you're a slow learner.

Doesn't a lot of racism stem from lack of education or exposure of people from different cultures than you?

And you can learn how to learn better or educate yourself more effectively, so an idiot doesn't have to stay an idiot forever (except actual mental disorders) But if we're talking average person, both things take work but both can be overcome.

An insult is still an insult to me so I view them on the same level, I dunno. Being both stupid and racist can be harmful to others. Racism is obviously a worse issue but it's still an insult to me.

Doesn't a lot of racism stem from lack of education or exposure of people from different cultures than you?

As somebody who's spent almost 2 years traveling around the world AND isn't perceived as white, I'm convinced this is indeed the case. Sometimes they are hostile towards anyone who's different than them and sometimes it's selective (like not giving a **** about Asians but hating Arabs). Everyone should travel as far as they can for as long as they can, it'll open your eyes and mind.

Last edited:

also, personally, I don't call people those things unless I've seen them display multiple instances of behavior befitting those terms and not making any attempt to change their act when called on it. I try to avoid saying "you're racist" in favor of "that thing you said/did was racist, and here's why," and hope that they'll learn from it.

This exactly, that's why I don't see it as an insult because this is how you should take it.

And you can learn how to learn better or educate yourself more effectively, so an idiot doesn't have to stay an idiot forever (except actual mental disorders) But if we're talking average person, both things take work but both can be overcome.

It can but today I would just say most of it seems to stem from being a stubborn butthole.

Not everyone including those without learning disabilities can quicken their pace. Plus being stupid or overweight or whatever I've used as examples are common things people are very insecure and self-conscious about. I've never heard of someone crying in the bathroom because they're a racist.

being called racist might hurt your feelings but it's a lot worse to do or say racist stuff to people so idc. if you do bad **** you have to deal with people not being super loving towards u

- - - Post Merge - - -

yeah i agree. so many people get super defensive when theyre told they did something racist or homophobic or transphobic or whatever. really it's all cool if you apologize and understand that what you did was wrong and that u make sure to not do it again. it's not an attack on u as a person, it's calling you out on bad stuff youre saying or doing.

This is what I meant by my post above. It's always better to educate than just yell out "you're racist!!"

i like how some of you are trying to act like you partially or politely disagree with people who hold opposing opinions. it's not "hey i disagree with that and here's why:" you've slapped labels on people such as "transphobe", "homophobe", "bigot", etc. you're just as bad as the people who call you a disgusting SJW overweight feminist. both of these sides love to pull the victim card

I have no issues with politely disagreeing with someone. I may *vehemently* disagree with their view on a particular topic, or even most of them, but that is not a reason for me to be intentionally rude or hurtful. I regularly engage in "difficult" discussions in various forums on issues such as human rights, women's rights to bodily autonomy, healthcare, religon + freedom from religious extremism, immunisation, and other contentious things I don't need to keep listing. I personally work very hard to respond ONLY with "hey I disagree with that and here's why..." comments.

I do not label people I'm talking to (in person or in writing) with words like that, although depending on context I will certainly say "that comment can be seen as bigoted because.." . There is an important difference between labelling a *person* and labelling a *behaviour* or an *action*.

Granted, this is an easier distinction to have understood in forums that skew to an older demographic than TBT as, or one that has primarily english-as-first-language speakers, or one where members are drawn from the same geopolitical area - as the more one needs to generalise + explain the basics for common ground, the more chances there are for confusion and offence to occur. I include "age" as a kind of shorthand generalisation as generally the other sites I'm active on are made up primarily of adults post-university age, and the difference in life experience between someone when they are 21 or younger vs 30+ is usually pronounced.

I am, by some definitions, an SJW. I don't attack people, or get offended by "every little thing" or even most things. I contribute my time, energy, and money towards the issues that matter to me (which sometimes rules me out of being an SJW for reasons I'm still not clear on - the first time I heard the acronym used was by an acquaintance was ranting about "those ****ing SJWs!" which was bemusing to say the least. I was told that what I do is okay, I'm not an actual SJW, I'm not like that... one of the most surreal conversations I've ever had!).

I don't play "victim cards" either as I understand the term to mean. I explain my opinions, my experience, and I am always happy to stand corrected. I'm constantly learning and evolving my understanding of things as time goes by.

I always privately giggle at references to "snowflake" though - the typical context I see that used in (that isn't related to Trump) involves Person A getting offended (aka triggered) at Person B commenting something that may or may not be a fair critique... and then claiming Person B is a snowflake trying to stifle free speech by forcing Person A to see Person B's opinion. The cognitive dissonance is just overwhelming in auch situations. Freedom of speech applies to everyone else, too - and it should *never* mean freedom from consequences.

Last edited:
I have no issues with politely disagreeing with someone. I may *vehemently* disagree with their view on a particular topic, or even most of them, but that is not a reason for me to be intentionally rude or hurtful. I regularly engage in "difficult" discussions in various forums on issues such as human rights, women's rights to bodily autonomy, healthcare, religon + freedom from religious extremism, immunisation, and other contentious things I don't need to keep listing. I personally work very hard to respond ONLY with "hey I disagree with that and here's why..." comments.

I do not label people I'm talking to (in person or in writing) with words like that, although depending on context I will certainly say "that comment can be seen as bigoted because.." . There is an important difference between labelling a *person* and labelling a *behaviour* or an *action*.

Granted, this is an easier distinction to have understood in forums that skew to an older demographic than TBT as, or one that has primarily english-as-first-language speakers, or one where members are drawn from the same geopolitical area - as the more one needs to generalise + explain the basics for common ground, the more chances there are for confusion and offence to occur. I include "age" as a kind of shorthand generalisation as generally the other sites I'm active on are made up primarily of adults post-university age, and the diffence in life experience between someone when they are 21 or younger vs 30+ is usually pronounced.

I am, by some definitions, an SJW. I don't attack people, or get offended by "every little thing" or even most things. I contribute my time, energy, and money towards the issues that matter to me (which sometimes rules me out of being an SJW for reasons I'm still not clear on - the first time I heard the acronym used was by an acquaintance ranting about "those ****ing SJWs!" which was bemusing to say the least. I was told that what I do is okay, I'm not an actual SJW, I'm not like that... one of the most surreal conversations I've ever had!).

I don't play "victim cards" either as I understand the term to mean. I explain my opinions, my experience, and I am always happy to stand corrected. I'm constantly learning and evolving my understanding of things as time goes by.

I always privately giggle at references to "snowflake" though - the typical context I see that used in (that isn't related to Trump) involves Person A getting offended (aka triggered) at Person B commenting something that may or may not be a fair critique... and then claiming Person B is a snowflake trying to stifle free speech by forcing Person A to see Person B's opinion. The cognitive dissonance is just overwhelming in auch situations. Freedom of speech applies to everyone else, too - and it should *never* mean freedom from consequences.

You're a rare SJW that we like so you keep being you.

I wish more people reacted that way as opposed to "i can't be Xist/phobic because i have Y friends" this or "i don't care about race/gender/sexuality uwu" that. Like, that's all well and good but you can still (weather on purpose or accident) say Xist/phobic stuff!

This is what I meant by my post above. It's always better to educate than just yell out "you're racist!!"

if u tell someone that what they did or said was racist thats kinda enough. the racist person can ask if they feel they need advice but it's not like people have to be Life Teachers to ignorant people. if they know what they did wrong they can change that lol and saying that someone is racist because of something they did is telling them what to change so it's imo all u have 2 do lmao

I feel like the person who made this thread makes intentionally to get arguments started here, as the last two arguments were threads created by white flamingo (just saying)..

I contribute my time, energy, and money towards the issues that matter to me (which sometimes rules me out of being an SJW for reasons I'm still not clear on)

Chipping in here, it's because you actually bother to do something about what matters to you vs. complaining about it and attacking people who don't agree with your views. SJWs are perceived as slacktivists i.e. internet activists who don't actually accomplish or contribute to anything (as depicted here). I agree with Corrie, it's admirable you not only stand by your beliefs but do something about it and remain open-minded about changing your views if needed. That puts you levels above the SJWs people like to refer to when using that term.

Edit: That is to say you ARE the SJW depicted on the left side of the comic.

Last edited:

Granted, this is an easier distinction to have understood in forums that skew to an older demographic than TBT as, or one that has primarily english-as-first-language speakers, or one where members are drawn from the same geopolitical area - as the more one needs to generalise + explain the basics for common ground, the more chances there are for confusion and offence to occur. I include "age" as a kind of shorthand generalisation as generally the other sites I'm active on are made up primarily of adults post-university age, and the difference in life experience between someone when they are 21 or younger vs 30+ is usually pronounced.

I am, by some definitions, an SJW. I don't attack people, or get offended by "every little thing" or even most things. I contribute my time, energy, and money towards the issues that matter to me (which sometimes rules me out of being an SJW for reasons I'm still not clear on - the first time I heard the acronym used was by an acquaintance was ranting about "those ****ing SJWs!" which was bemusing to say the least. I was told that what I do is okay, I'm not an actual SJW, I'm not like that... one of the most surreal conversations I've ever had!).

I really appreciate your kindness, intelligence and calmness during arguments/debates, I've noticed these qualities over the last while, I wish people were like you on the internet. c:

You're a grade A SJW, I have no problem with the rare civil SJW's and you are one of them. ^^

Last edited:
There's ten pages I haven't read through yet, but I can guess that somewhere this thread got really nasty (?). Thanks, Tumblr.

If you don't follow the hivemind you're called sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, and a misogynist. Not to mention the down with cis bs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back