• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Funny and Annoying SJW Encounters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for one you should probably never reference how a trans person was born. They probably don't wanna hear it.

Secondly they aren't "born one gender" and then become another - they were always whatever they say they are because sex and gender are two different things.

That being said I don't see how you being ignorant towards that could cause hate towards anyone or deserves drama.

Oh right... thanks aha

They did mention the "becoming another gender" bit, but that wasn't what I was getting at- I meant like genetically, and now they physically look male, but again, my wording was bad I suppose

And that's why I don't bother with tumblr drama anymore 'cause you like never know

I've never seen anyone in here call something bigoted without also explaining why whatever it was is bigoted.

Also I know you're just making an example but calling someone homophobe/transphobe/racist/etc isn't nearly as bad as using "overweight" as an insult. I've said it before but these things aren't personal attacks, they're criticism of your behaviour.

That's basically why I ignore all internet drama or comment sections because arguing online pretty much never is worth it. Nobody learns anything and the arguments, without fail, turn to both sides spitting insults back and forth. This forum is basically the only one I both to go on or be a part of and even with this one, there are some arguments I avoid like the plague.

Though, arguments about trends & issues or likes & dislikes in general are the waste of time to me. Everyone, for the most part are set on their views. Very rarely can both sides learn something from one another and respectfully agree to disagree.

It really depends on the person though, if I was called fat I wouldn't care, if I was called a racist I wouldn't care either because I know I'm not racist and I stand up against racism.

Sure but attacks on someone's appearance will always be more offensive and more tasteless than going "you're racist" even if you don't personally take offense.

Basically if I call someone a homophobe and they say my nose is too big they've definitely stooped lower than I have.

Yeah, there's been a few times where people have told me stuff like that... I guess my wording isn't the most accurate, but I've never known a trans person or whatever so... that's my excuse

The main problem is that instead of educating you, they just attacked you.

Sure but attacks on someone's appearance will always be more offensive and more tasteless than going "you're racist" even if you don't personally take offense.

Basically if I call someone a homophobe and they say my nose is too big they've definitely stooped lower than I have.

Of course.

I agree with this.

You can't change the size of your nose without expensive and risky surgery. Meanwhile, racist/sexist/homophobic/etc views can be altered, and even unlearned, without any expense or bodily risk, thanks to the magic of Google.

I was at the grocery store recently and this guy with a pony tail and small but still obvious breasts got called "ma'am" by a cashier and freaked out on her. She apologized saying she was mistaken by his hair and he went off on her saying it wasn't a real apology and just would not let up on her. Thankfully the manager got involved before it got too bad. I was checked out and left before I saw the conclusion.

An insult is an insult and no matter the intensity, is immature.

That's your opinion and I'm sure a lot of people think the same, but not all of them.

I'd much rather be insulted for my appearance than have someone call me something that's not true, and I've been in both situations before.

Edit spelling and clarify -

If someone says I have a big nose I can deal with it. I don't care about their opinion on my appearance. I think I look great. But calling someone an -ist when they're not can get a person fired. I'm just happy that my coworkers know who I am and random people coming in an calling me -ist only results in my defense, not the stranger's.

Last edited:
An insult is an insult and no matter the intensity, is immature.

Sure but racist (I'm gonna just stick with using this one as an example 'cause typing em all out is.... oof) isn't necessarily an insult. It's like fenris said basically.

Even screaming "racist" at someone without explaining why, it might be useless since no one is going to learn anything, and it might even be completely wrong but imo it isn't immature to call out something offensive when you see it. It could be childish if they refused to give any explanation but nonetheless attacks on peoples' appearance will always be the lowest low. Especially since they have nothing to do with the conversation 100% of the time.

But calling someone an -ist when they're not can get a person fired. I'm just happy that my coworkers know who I am and random people coming in an calling me -ist only results in my defense, not the stranger's.

The way I see it if multiple people are calling you an -ist and bringing it to your higher-ups then there's probably a problem but I don't know your personal life and I think it's best I don't.

?\_(ツ)_/?

Last edited:
Sure but racist (I'm gonna just stick with using this one as an example 'cause typing em all out is.... oof) isn't necessarily an insult. It's like fenris said basically.

Even screaming "racist" at someone without explaining why, it might be useless since no one is going to learn anything, and it might even be completely wrong but imo it isn't immature to call out something offensive when you see it. It could be childish if they refused to give any explanation but nonetheless attacks on peoples' appearance will always be the lowest low. Especially since they have nothing to do with the conversation 100% of the time.

It's pretty immature and damaging when a customer comes in, stalking you, and calling you a racist when you're not. Again, I'm lucky my coworkers knew me well enough to know that this random customer what the racist one but not everyone makes friends at work as quickly or as easily as I do.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The way I see it if multiple people are calling you an -ist and bringing it to your higher-ups then there's probably a problem but I don't know your personal life and I think it's best I don't.

?\_(ツ)_/?

It was one person who I'd never met but that one random person could end someone's career if that someone keeps to themselves like most employees do.

It's pretty immature and damaging when a customer comes in, stalking you, and calling you a racist when you're not. Again, I'm lucky my coworkers knew me well enough to know that this random customer what the racist one but not everyone makes friends at work as quickly or as easily as I do.

Like I said, it's immature if they refuse to give a reason. Obsessiveness is also immature but otherwise I don't really see a problem.

It was one person who I'd never met but that one random person could end someone's career if that someone keeps to themselves like most employees do.

Any professional manager would know not to fire someone off the bat because of some random screaming at them.

?\_(ツ)_/?

Being called a racist is an insult though. Being a racist is a negative thing, like being called stupid. Both are behavioral but are still insults.

You could mention that the person said something racist instead, which would no longer be a personal attack but still gets your point across.

I've never seen anyone in here call something bigoted without also explaining why whatever it was is bigoted.

Also I know you're just making an example but calling someone homophobe/transphobe/racist/etc isn't nearly as bad as using "overweight" as an insult. I've said it before but these things aren't personal attacks, they're criticism of your behaviour.

i personally don't think it's alright even if you're criticising someone's behaviour. i don't like how horrible terms are thrown around unnecessarily and it's immature. my example wasn't the best, comparing to insulting someone who's overweight and calling someone racist is a matter of opinion. from my experiences the people who have been labelled as example: homophobic aren't actually homophobic. someone being homophobic/racist etc is more opinionated now and that's my biggest issue.

Being called a racist is an insult though. Being a racist is a negative thing, like being called stupid. Both are behavioral but are still insults.

You could mention that the person said something racist instead, which would no longer be a personal attack but still gets your point across.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
i feel so.. so .. bad .. for the .. poor . person ,. who was personally attacked ..,. because they were told they are racist .,.. when they were being racist. .... really... awful.............

Like I said, it's immature if they refuse to give a reason. Obsessiveness is also immature but otherwise I don't really see a problem.

Any professional manager would know not to fire someone off the bat because of some random screaming at them.

You're have to hope you have a professional manager then. I know plenty of managers who play favorites. I keep on most everyone's good side, but I've worked with a lot of people who the manager just didn't like. If what happened to me happened to somone else it could've been the thing to finally get the person the manager just didn't like fired.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
i feel so.. so .. bad .. for the .. poor . person ,. who was personally attacked ..,. because they were told they are racist .,.. when they were being racist. .... really... awful.............

What if they weren't being racist though??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

what if .... they were. ....., though ..................

The point Corrie is trying to make is that attacking someone by calling them racist, whether they were or not, doesn't help the situation. Explaining to someone why the thing they said was racist is very different and can possibly help the person do it less in the future. Or not but at least you were the bigger person and explained instead of insulted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back