• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Town Exploring

princess2010

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Feedback
0% (0) +
My daughter with autism plays this game but her town is pretty underdeveloped and i'm wondering would anybody like to add her as a friend as she loved visiting somebody else's town yesterday for the first time?

My daughter with autism plays this game but her town is pretty underdeveloped and i'm wondering would anybody like to add her as a friend as she loved visiting somebody else's town yesterday for the first time?

May I ask what age (or age range) your daughter is? And do you play as well? I haven't actually visited a child's town or had them visit mine properly, since I have two towns on two DSes so I just let visiting kiddos move freely between my towns.

she can always visit my town if she wants, leave me a message and we can organise something

May I recommend, assuming it has been unlocked, making use of the Dream Suite on Main Street to visit towns? Then it doesn't rely on a host and no damage can be done, although it is a little more limiting.

If it hasn't been unlocked, wake Isabelle up in Town Hall ten days after the town's creation, select it from Isabelle's list of public works projects (when sitting in the chair) and give Lloyd 500,000 Bells or whatever it costs at the train station. Catching bugs on the island after 19:00 is a good way of earning Bells.

I have no idea how much knowledge you have about the game, so apologies if I've just waffled away for no reason.

May I ask what age (or age range) your daughter is? And do you play as well? I haven't actually visited a child's town or had them visit mine properly, since I have two towns on two DSes so I just let visiting kiddos move freely between my towns.

Thank you replying to my message and my daughter is fourteen but is around eight mentally, I personally am terrible with video games but i watch her playing it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

she can always visit my town if she wants, leave me a message and we can organise something

Thank you so much that would be fantastic

- - - Post Merge - - -

May I recommend, assuming it has been unlocked, making use of the Dream Suite on Main Street to visit towns? Then it doesn't rely on a host and no damage can be done, although it is a little more limiting.

If it hasn't been unlocked, wake Isabelle up in Town Hall ten days after the town's creation, select it from Isabelle's list of public works projects (when sitting in the chair) and give Lloyd 500,000 Bells or whatever it costs at the train station. Catching bugs on the island after 19:00 is a good way of earning Bells.

I have no idea how much knowledge you have about the game, so apologies if I've just waffled away for no reason.

Sorry i've attempted to learn about the game but i'm terrible as personally i never play video games but she manged recently to get the dream suite but we have no idea what it is. Oh thank you i'll tell her about the bugs

Thank you replying to my message and my daughter is fourteen but is around eight mentally, I personally am terrible with video games but i watch her playing it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

- - - Post Merge - - -

Sorry i've attempted to learn about the game but i'm terrible as personally i never play video games but she manged recently to get the dream suite but we have no idea what it is. Oh thank you i'll tell her about the bugs

Here's an in depth guide of the dream suite! :) http://www.thonky.com/animal-crossing-new-leaf/dream-suite

it's wonderful you're supporting your child in such a way!

Last edited:
This game is great for all ages. I know you said you don't play video games, but this one is so much fun. I loved when my daughter played. We would go to the Island and play mini games together, visit eachothers towns, help with ideas on how to decorate our town and homes, fish together, etc. She's a senior now and has other things of interest, but I did enjoy the game so much more when she played. We each have our own copies and 3ds, but you can make a character of your own in your daughters town ( if you want to give it a try).

No, no! Don't apologize! I'm happy you're trying to learn. :)

Thank you it's a easy way to try to communicate with her

- - - Post Merge - - -

it's wonderful you're supporting your child in such a way!

Thank you as long as she is happy i don't mind as she doesn't really play other video games

- - - Post Merge - - -

This game is great for all ages. I know you said you don't play video games, but this one is so much fun. I loved when my daughter played. We would go to the Island and play mini games together, visit eachothers towns, help with ideas on how to decorate our town and homes, fish together, etc. She's a senior now and has other things of interest, but I did enjoy the game so much more when she played. We each have our own copies and 3ds, but you can make a character of your own in your daughters town ( if you want to give it a try).

Thanks she didn't know you could have more that one character i would attempt to play but knowing my luck i would do something wrong. She just loves running around and clothes shopping..........if only i could get her to enjoy real life clothes shopping so much.

- - - Post Merge - - -

- - - Post Merge - - -

Ah that's completely in my wheelhouse! I primarily work with toddlers-7 or 8 year olds and have a lot of experience working with children with additional needs. A high functioning autistic 16 year old would be a lot more difficult for me personally to engage with.

I'm happy to have your daughter visit, and visit in return. If it would help, we can chat on discord/line/skype or even facebook messenger during a session so you can ask any questions to help your daughter learn how to do things, or just to be engaged more directly than just watching. This game is so open by nature that it can get overwhelming and confusing to experienced gamers, never mind beginners!

It's a wonderful game for supporting communication and social skills if you choose, as it can help children understand some very complicated social etiquette (albeit with the natural limitations of being a video game). I think it's wonderful you're looking for ways to enrich your daughter's experience like this!

Last edited:
The great thing about this game is that it's so simple that it's hard to do something "wrong," catastrophically or otherwise. Small children, teens, adults, and even the elderly have enjoyed the game at some level. Read walkthroughs, tips and tricks, etc. online and join your daughter as another character in town. As for visiting towns, I would err on the side of caution with online play. While people on this forum are generally okay - wifi ratings are available to avoid troublemakers - there's always the risk of someone ruining the experience for her/she could upset someone without meaning to (I have no idea if online etiquette has been discussed when it comes to playing with others). Like others have mentioned, if ideas for town development aren't coming to her, the dream suite is wifi free, shows her a given town (she can put in a code or be given a town at random), and there's no risk involved (anything that happens in the dream suite town doesn't affect the real-time town that it's based on).

Back