• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Should Marijuana be Legalized?

Should it be legalized?

• Total voters
i started smoking when i was like 14 (i'm 20 now) and i didn't really do it all the time, just occasionally. i actually kind of regret starting so early in life, because your brain doesnt even finish developing until you're in your twenties and using drugs before then can really affect that way it develops. fortunately for me, i never used it too much until more recently (i still only use it maybe once a week tbh) so i didn't really see those effects as much as some of my friends. one of my friends' brain is just.. completely fried and it's awful and i'm sure it was because he started using drugs at an early age.

Yeah, I see a lot of these kids in my school who do it, and I really fear for them...They're such nice people sometimes. I mean, shoot...It'd be a shame to see them go because they didn't realize they should wait. I'm glad that you weren't affected too heavily by it. Sorry to hear about your friend though. :/

Yeah, obviously going cold turkey is extremely dangerous (though I never really understood why, but I had a hard time quitting self harming). Highly addictive drugs such as cocaine, heroine, ect aren't easy to just quit. Once you start, it's extremely hard to stop. But in someone who's only done it once, it's not necessary like food and water is for us to survive. So comparing junk food to highly addictive and lethal drugs is a bit...

yeah, but there's all kinds of addiction. obviosuly some are not as dangerous as hard drugs, but still, when you become addicted to something, it is extremely hard to quit. like for example, self harm. i used to do it ALL the time while i was in high school and it was, quite literally, addicting. it took me so long to finally stop. i haven't done it in probably a year, but i still think about it on probably a daily basis.
the same thing can be said for junk food, soda, drugs, anything really.
i know my stepmom is addicted to diet coke and whenever she doesn't have it for too long, she gets extremely stressed out and even starts to shake a bit.

yeah, but there's all kinds of addiction. obviosuly some are not as dangerous as hard drugs, but still, when you become addicted to something, it is extremely hard to quit. like for example, self harm. i used to do it ALL the time while i was in high school and it was, quite literally, addicting. it took me so long to finally stop. i haven't done it in probably a year, but i still think about it on probably a daily basis.
i know my stepmom is addicted to diet coke and whenever she doesn't have it for too long, she gets extremely stressed out and even starts to shake a bit.

Oh, yeah, stuff like Diet Coke is very addictive. I'm not against having junk food, etc., like, whatever enjoy yourself, just don't overdo it. but Diet Pops are a HUGE no-no for me. I'm completely against that.

Also, I'm pretty damn happy that this discussion is civilized. This is a lot more enjoyable than some of the other discussions on here. Thank you all for that.

It takes over 600kg of marijuana to cause a lethal response in the body, i.e a ridiculous amount, which is why there's never been a single documented case of marijuana overdoses.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Sorry I'm just spouting facts outta my ass here, I'm looking up facts to prove that marijuana isn't actually bad for you.

Last edited:
Also, I'm pretty damn happy that this discussion is civilized. This is a lot more enjoyable than some of the other discussions on here. Thank you all for that.

me too! i was kinda expecting a big argument at first, but i'm really glad it hasn't turned into that! :)

It takes over 600kg of marijuana to cause a lethal response in the body, i.e a ridiculous amount, which is why there's never been a single documented case of marijuana overdoses.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Sorry I'm just spouting facts outta my ass here, I'm looking up facts to prove that marijuana isn't actually bad for you.

Nah, it's cool. They add to the discussion, maybe even clear up any misconceptions, etc.
I mean shoot, the thought of someone OD'ing on 600KG of Marijuana all at once is sort of a funny scenario.

I'm sorry my sense of humor is quite dark.

- - - Post Merge - - -

me too! i was kinda expecting a big argument at first, but i'm really glad it hasn't turned into that! :)

Yeah, after the political correctness debacle, I was pleasantly surprised to see this as a civilized, friendly discussion.

Yeah, I had a really rough time quitting self harm. I was constantly being told "just throw away your razors and stop" but it was so much more than that to me. I would consistently relapse, each time doing more and more damage to my body to the point where I caused nerve damage and I'm now anaemic. That could've easily killed me and I'm glad it didn't. I still think about it everyday.

Once you get to the same point of addiction in Grade A drugs, it's extremely dangerous and a lot of the time lethal.

Nah, it's cool. They add to the discussion, maybe even clear up any misconceptions, etc.
I mean shoot, the thought of someone OD'ing on 600KG of Marijuana all at once is sort of a funny scenario.

I'm sorry my sense of humor is quite dark.

600kg = 1322.77lbs
depending on where you're located, a pound of weed costs between $1000-$3000, depending on strain, whether it's hydroponic or not, and all that jazz. so that'd come out to between $1,000,000-$3,000,000
if you're buying that much weed, you must be one RICH mother****er.

Yeah, I had a really rough time quitting self harm. I was constantly being told "just throw away your razors and stop" but it was so much more than that to me. I would consistently relapse, each time doing more and more damage to my body to the point where I caused nerve damage and I'm now anaemic. That could've easily killed me and I'm glad it didn't. I still think about it everyday.

Once you get to the same point of addiction in Grade A drugs, it's extremely dangerous and a lot of the time lethal.

Shoot...Self-Harm, eh? I've never done it myself so I wouldn't be able to relate to anyone on it but it must be a really rough thing to go through. I'm sorry to hear that happened, but I'm glad to hear you survived through it.

600kg is actually nearly a whole warehouse full. Unless you've set fire to said warehouse, it would be ridiculously difficult for one person, on their own, in a stereotypical dingy room, to overdose on that amount.

600kg = 1322.77lbs
depending on where you're located, a pound of weed costs between $1000-$3000, depending on strain, whether it's hydroponic or not, and all that jazz. so that'd come out to between $1,000,000-$3,000,000

This scenario just gets better and better the more we look into it...

- - - Post Merge - - -

600kg = 1322.77lbs

This scenario just gets better and better the more we look into it...

- - - Post Merge - - -

600kg is actually nearly a whole warehouse full. Unless you've set fire to said warehouse, it would be ridiculously difficult for one person, on their own, in a stereotypical dingy room, to overdose on that amount.

Oh, yeah, I know, that's what makes it really damn funny to think about.

oh my god, hahahaha. this just gets better and better

Last edited:
I voted "yes". Medicinal marijuana usage is - finally! - legal in Australia and even our government is supportive of this (despite being generally incompetent, a fact even the conservatives here agree on) : http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...on-of-medicinal-marijuana/8291884?pfmredir=sm

Access is still a concern and supply is not yet even nearly up to demand (due to the restrictions being placed on suppliers to ensure a quality product). But we're getting there!

Regarding recreational use : I support decriminalisation 100%. Of all the substances in our world that damage the human body + mind, marijuana is simply not high enough on the list to warrent the degree of law enforcement time and effort devoted to policing it. The amount of caffeine and other major ingredients in energy drinks ingested daily, not to mention refined white sugar (in the quantities ingested in the average western diet) are of significantly higher concern to me than marijuana usage is. I don't want them policed by the police, either. That's a medical issue (in terms of damage done that incurs increasingly larger healthcare costs) and is for governments to address via appropriate policies.

The so-called "War on Drugs" has been a spectacular failure from start to finish. By any reasonable measure, it's time to acknowledge that that approach has simply not worked and is incredibly unlikely to suddenly start doing so now.

We - as a global community - need to look at the facts, history, and current untenable situation and work on fixing the problem at it's source. Prosecuting recreational marijuana users is so far from helpful to society that it's genuinely obscene in my opinion.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/the-w...hy-are-we-still-fighting-20151008-gk45r5.html

https://web.stanford.edu/class/e297c/poverty_prejudice/paradox/htele.html

Last edited:
Shoot...Self-Harm, eh? I've never done it myself so I wouldn't be able to relate to anyone on it but it must be a really rough thing to go through. I'm sorry to hear that happened, but I'm glad to hear you survived through it.

Well, I pray that you don't. I've paid the price for getting in over my head. It's something I wouldn't wish on anybody. It's quite scary how easy it is to nick something in your arm and be dead in less than ten seconds. Thank you though.

This is getting deep, man. I'm getting woozy from thinking about blood so I'm gonna go paint. I'm pretty stoked that there wasn't a huge argument here and the conversation was nice and civil.

I voted "yes". Medicinal marijuana usage is - finally! - legal in Australia and even our government is supportive of this (despite being generally incompetent, a fact even the conservatives here agree on) : -medicinal-marijuana/8291884?pfmredir=sm

Access is still a concern and supply is not yet even nearly up to demand (due to the restrictions being placed on suppliers to ensure a quality product). But we're getting there!

Regarding recreational use : I support decriminalisation 100%. Of all the substances in our world that damage the human body + mind, marijuana is simply not high enough on the list to warrent the degree of law enforcement time and effort devoted to policing it's usage. The amount of caffeine and other major ingredients in energy drinks ingested daily, not to mention refined white sugar (in the quantities ingested in the average western diet) are of significantly higher concern to me than marijuana usage is. I don't want them policed by the police, either. That's a medical issue (in terms of damage done that incurs increasingly larger healthcare costs) and is for governments to address via appropriate policies.

The so-called "War on Drugs" has been a spectacular failure from start to finish. By any reasonable measure, it's time to acknowledge that that approach has simply not worked and is incredibly unlikely to suddenly start doing so now.

We - as a global community - need to look at the facts, history, and current untenable situation and work on fixing the problem at it's source. Prosecuting recreational marijuana users in so far from helpful to society that it's genuinely obscene.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/the-w...hy-are-we-still-fighting-20151008-gk45r5.html

https://web.stanford.edu/class/e297c/poverty_prejudice/paradox/htele.html

My thoughts exactly. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's so many more benefits than there are risks(such a small amount of risks it's ridiculous, unless you're young, which then I don't think anyone under like, 26 should do it.)...The fact that the US classed it as dangerous as something like Heroin baffles me beyond all belief.

Last edited:
can you go into any further detail? i'm interested in hearing what makes you say no o:

- - - Post Merge - - -

i believe it is legal in some states in the US, but in many it is not. i'm not sure about anywhere else in the world tho

Medical usage has been legal in Victoria, Australia for almost a year now, and recently became legal for the entire country.

Last edited:
Well, I pray that you don't. I've paid the price for getting in over my head. It's something I wouldn't wish on anybody. It's quite scary how easy it is to nick something in your arm and be dead in less than ten seconds. Thank you though.

This is getting deep, man. I'm getting woozy from thinking about blood so I'm gonna go paint. I'm pretty stoked that there wasn't a huge argument here and the conversation was nice and civil.

Yeah, I don't plan on doing it...I never believed that self harm or suicide was ever an answer, and to be honest gouging my arm open just doesn't sound like something that would ever help me. Obviously I can't vouch for other people who do it, I don't know or understand their reasoning, and I do hope that one day they can move on, and survive through it. (did that sound insensitive? I hope not...)

And yeah, seeing a civil discussion was such a sight for sore eyes. Makes me glad that people can still talk to others.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's so many more benefits than there are risks(such a small amount of risks it's ridiculous, unless you're young, which then I don't think anyone under like, 26 should do it.)...The fact that the US classed it as dangerous as something like Heroin baffles me beyond all belief.

"Schedule I
Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:
heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote"

"Schedule IV
Schedule IV drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with a low potential for abuse and low risk of dependence. Some examples of Schedule IV drugs are:
Xanax, Soma, Darvon, Darvocet, Valium, Ativan, Talwin, Ambien, Tramadol"

https://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml

this just absolutely baffles me. they label xanax as having a "low potential for abuse and low risk of dependence", and yet i know firsthand how easy it is to get addicted to xanax! and valium is just as bad. yet somehow, marijuana is labelled as "a drug with no accepted medical use". what about the people that have mulitiple seizures on a daily basis, being treated with cannabis?? there literally is evidence that cannabis helps significantly reduce the amount of seizures these individuals have. actual proof. and yet it's considered a schedule one drug??

"Schedule I
Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:
heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote"

"Schedule IV
Schedule IV drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with a low potential for abuse and low risk of dependence. Some examples of Schedule IV drugs are:
Xanax, Soma, Darvon, Darvocet, Valium, Ativan, Talwin, Ambien, Tramadol"

https://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml

this just absolutely baffles me. they label xanax as having a "low potential for abuse and low risk of dependence", and yet i know firsthand how easy it is to get addicted to xanax! and valium is just as bad. yet somehow, marijuana is labelled as "a drug with no accepted medical use". what about the people that have mulitiple seizures on a daily basis, being treated with cannabis?? there literally is evidence that cannabis helps significantly reduce the amount of seizures these individuals have. actual proof. and yet it's considered a schedule one drug??

It's absolutely ridiculous. I'll never understand where that came from, there's no reason why it should be Schedule I. Whoever decided that must have been on something...

See it's funny because irony

Last edited:
Back