Should Marijuana be Legalized?

Should it be legalized?

• Total voters
Yes. It is less harmful than alcohol and cigs and yet those are legal.

I've seen the effects of smoking tobacco in all of my family members and I would honestly call for it to be banned. It can cause as much damage as taking something as harmful as meth or heroine.

The drugs were and are still illegal, the possession of small amounts was treated as a public health issue. Drug smugglers are still arrested, you're claiming that it should be legal to mass produce, sell and own lethal drugs without consequence.

There's been multiple cases where the excessive use of cocaine has caused the cartilage, the flesh around the nose and the bottom of the nose (the roof of the mouth) to decay. Is that something you want to legalise?

At least with weed, it's not hurting anyone.

So they should make junk food, fast food and boxed dinners illegal too cause they cause various health diseases that could kill people too?

Tell that to all the folks who are still suffering addiction and living on the streets because they thought they might try it once, just once, but got addicted instead. Drugs that have highly addictive properties and cause extreme damage to the brain and body should remain illegal. But someone who wants help recovering should be given the resources necessary to do so without being condemned.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there...I do think that everyone should have a chance to redeem themselves from mistakes they've made. I mean...Sometimes it's irreversible, what are you going to be able to do with that, but...If there's a way someone can redeem themselves then they should be able to.

Now, on another subject...I think no matter if something is legalized/illegal there's going to be abused, no doubt about it. I think that the priority in that case would be trying to lower that addiction. I don't think legalization would necessarily be that solution though, at least at this point in time. Offering help would, though, and of course not everyone would accept that help, but I think it's a start.

Last edited:
I'm fine with people doing whatever they want. I don't think people should be punished just bc they're addicted or anything like get them treatment lol.. but literally do what u want as long as ur not hurting anyone. snort a line before picking up a prescription for rash ointment at walgreens? living for it.

weed is not harmless either. Just because it has medicinal qualities doesn't mean it can't harm the brain. Not necessarily IQ but, there is way more than enough studies out there proving moderate to consistent weed exposure causes some brain damage. Drugs are not a no strings attached kinda thing

weed is not harmless either. Just because it has medicinal qualities doesn't mean it can't harm the brain. Not necessarily IQ but, there is way more than enough studies out there proving moderate to consistent weed exposure causes some brain damage. Drugs are not a no strings attached kinda thing

Yeah, there's no denying that everything comes with risks. I mean, like I said earlier research is constantly being done so maybe eventually we'll have a more comprehensive data on what it actually does...But I'm pretty positive that overall the benefits outweigh the risks. At least from my prior knowledge. Of course, I'm not denying that the risks are out there.

So they should make junk food, fast food and boxed dinners illegal too cause they cause various health diseases that could kill people too?

People need to eat. You don't needa shoot up in a bathroom.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/does-marijuana-harm-the-brain/

"A study found differences in the brains of users and nonusers, but it did not establish that marijuana use caused the variations or that they had any functional significance."

Idk I don't support weed, it smells really bad, but there's nothing that's killing people in it.

Yeah, there's no denying that everything comes with risks. I mean, like I said earlier research is constantly being done so maybe eventually we'll have a more comprehensive data on what it actually does...But I'm pretty positive that overall the benefits outweigh the risks. At least from my prior knowledge. Of course, I'm not denying that the risks are out there.

Yeah man. I mean I drink alcohol even though it's not a safe activity by any means. haha. I guess it's just back to the whole "adults can decide how to treat their bodies" or something

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/does-marijuana-harm-the-brain/

"A study found differences in the brains of users and nonusers, but it did not establish that marijuana use caused the variations or that they had any functional significance."

Idk I don't support weed, it smells really bad, but there's nothing that's killing people in it.

Yeah, pretty sure the only scientific evidence they found of a harm is an extremely rare lung disease or something...Can't remember off the top of my head.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah man. I mean I drink alcohol even though it's not a safe activity by any means. haha. I guess it's just back to the whole "adults can decide how to treat their bodies" or something

Yeah, I mean, there's nothing wrong with having a little fun once in a while. Shoot, I love eating unhealthy foods if they taste alright, but I know that it's not the best thing for me. It really is people's choices in the matter.

People need to eat. You don't needa shoot up in a bathroom.

i mean, if you're an addict you do. it becomes like a basic need after a certain point. a lot of addicts think if they don't use, they'll die. and some actually do die from withdrawals.

Last edited:
goddammit I should've pressed quote

forestyne

that very same article continues to state

"CANNABIS USE HAS BEEN FOUND TO:

• Cause dependence, at some point in their lives, in about 9 percent of people who try it.
• Impair various aspects of cognitive function, particularly memory. Impairments can remain for several days. One study showed that performance returns to nonusers' levels after 28 days of abstinence, but evidence is mixed about how long the impairments last.
• Potentially reduce the volume of the hippocampus, which is critical for memory—but only after heavy and prolonged use. The evidence linking cognitive impairments to specific brain changes is inconclusive, and the degree to which such changes are reversible is hotly debated. —S.M."

I made sure to say "moderate to consistent exposure" not just recreational

Last edited:
i mean, if you're an addict you do. it becomes like a basic need after a certain point. a lot of addicts think if they don't use, they'll die. and some actually do die from withdrawals.

If you're already an addict sure, but not just any ol' dude who's like "Hmm I think I will try the Heroins today".

weed smells SO good to me tbh.

I'm used to it...I've been around it a very long time(I've never smoked it or consumed it though, I realize I'm not old enough to safely do it) and honestly I don't have an opinion on it anymore. Like, whatever, not like I'm throwing up over it. Tobacco's disgusting though.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Well, with withdrawals(Hey nice alliteration), with a lot of things it's very dangerous to go cold turkey. To cut an addiction you need to do it slowly but surely.

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty sure the only scientific evidence they found of a harm is an extremely rare lung disease or something...Can't remember off the top of my head.

That reminds me of when they banned bonjela (it's a topical cream that you put on mouth ulcers, it tastes really nice) because they found one chemical in it that caused Reye's disease, a really rare disease that only affects two percent of the population or something.

That reminds me of when they banned bonjela (it's a topical cream that you put on mouth ulcers, it tastes really nice) because they found one chemical in it that caused Reye's disease, a really rare disease that only affects two percent of the population or something.

That's a bit much...There should be no reason to ban that, if the statistic you're stating is actually that small. Put a warning that the risk is there but don't outright ban it, jeez.

I'm used to it...I've been around it a very long time(I've never smoked it though, I realize I'm not old enough to safely do it) and honestly I don't have an opinion on it anymore. Like, whatever, not like I'm throwing up over it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Well, with withdrawals(Hey nice alliteration), with a lot of things it's very dangerous to go cold turkey. To cut an addiction you need to do it slowly but surely.

i started smoking when i was like 14 (i'm 20 now) and i didn't really do it all the time, just occasionally. i actually kind of regret starting so early in life, because your brain doesnt even finish developing until you're in your twenties and using drugs before then can really affect that way it develops. fortunately for me, i never used it too much until more recently (i still only use it maybe once a week tbh) so i didn't really see those effects as much as some of my friends. one of my friends' brain is just.. completely fried and it's awful and i'm sure it was because he started using drugs at an early age. granted, he did use MUCH harder drugs than i did, and still does.

Last edited:

Yeah, obviously going cold turkey is extremely dangerous (though I never really understood why, but I had a hard time quitting self harming). Highly addictive drugs such as cocaine, heroine, ect aren't easy to just quit. Once you start, it's extremely hard to stop. But in someone who's only done it once, it's not necessary like food and water is for us to survive. So comparing junk food to highly addictive and lethal drugs is a bit...

Back