• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Question about Transferring Save to New System

forestyne

Finally Left.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
October Birthstone (Opal)
Flea
So I'm thinking about getting a 3DS XL sometime soon, but I don't want to lose my New Leaf save. If I were to put my SD card into a new 3DS, would it, like, carry my save file over or would it just stop working, lose the save and/or corrupt?

I've actually lost my Nintendo ID email and password (amazing, I know) aaaand I don't really know what to do. I know there's a system transfer tool, but will that keep my save? :6

with a system transfer, save data is transferred

3DSSupport_SystemTransfer_SupportContentImage_2_PREVIEW_enGB.png

If you update New Leaf on the new system, your data will be there. The save isn't stored on the device or the SD card, it's saved on the actual cartridge. I play on two 3DS's, so that's how I know this.

If you update New Leaf on the new system, your data will be there. The save isn't stored on the device or the SD card, it's saved on the actual cartridge. I play on two 3DS's, so that's how I know this.

I have a digital copy :( I was going to move my save to my cartridge using the Save Data Transfer tool, but an ex friend of mine stole my cartridge so I don't have a physical copy of the game anymore.

- - - Post Merge - - -

with a system transfer, save data is transferred

3DSSupport_SystemTransfer_SupportContentImage_2_PREVIEW_enGB.png

Does it need my Nintendo Network ID? I know I'll end up having to contact them about that anyway, but if I could do it without my Nintendo ID that'd be sick ;)

- - - Post Merge - - -

poop it needs my log in.

AFAIK, you can only move save data from retail (physical) copy to digital via the transfer tool so you'll be fine doing a system transfer if your copy is digital :)

Just a simple answer:

Yes, your save file will be fine. I transferred from my 3DS XL to my New 3DS XL and it saved all my data :) (I also have a digital)

Back