• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Which is the best 3D Mario game?

Which is the best 3D Mario?

• Super Mario 64

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Super Mario 64 DS

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Super Mario 3D Land

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Super Mario 3D World

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters
How can i enjoy a game that makes me get nauseous?

Was it the gravity physics? I mean, they can be wonky at times but I don't think it ruins the game. I think they actually did it well, but that's just my take on it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Nope I guarantee they would ruin it and make it look like poop.

Honestly Nintendo water is beautiful in any game(except some n64 games but that can't be helped)...If they don't botch the water then it'll be fine. They could make it like Twilight Princess HD where the polygons are the same but all the textures are improved(Honestly TPHD looks GORGEOUS.)

Last edited:
How can i enjoy a game that makes me get nauseous?

Cause SMG2 is the second best game ever made and includes all my favorite enemies (except a chain chomp x( though there are ones without the chain but they're not as fun) and the levels are awesome af.

Btw idk if yall knew but in SMG2 there is a major shortcut in the Shiverburn galaxy where you can get to the second planet with a cloud flower instead of the warp pipe. Screw those sentry beam things they can burn.

This poll never ceases to surprise me...Sunshine and Galaxy are now tied, and someone voted for 64 DS...Huh, I'm honestly surprised that people didn't all vote for sm64.

I started Super Mario Galaxy 2 today and I really like it so far. It encourages you to look for secrets around each level. I wish it did tell me what I'm missing sometimes so I know if I should be looking for something on a level. I love being able to walk around the Mario ship and unlocking new addons for it.

I started Super Mario Galaxy 2 today and I really like it so far. It encourages you to look for secrets around each level. I wish it did tell me what I'm missing sometimes so I know if I should be looking for something on a level. I love being able to walk around the Mario ship and unlocking new addons for it.

Yeah, that game does encourage exploration I've noticed(I'm playing through it myself). I think a lot of it has been decently easy to find(I've been completing a lot of galaxies) but, what I can only assume is either RNG-based or timed is when you get a letter inviting you to a certain galaxy that has so and so's secret star, or whatever. I still haven't found this one area in the one level where you become a rock that I got invited to...Maybe I haven't been looking enough. I wonder if Prankster comets are RNG based though...If they were getting the last few would have to be quite arduous.

And yeah, I like the hubworld in that game too. I like how over time it progresses into something else, much like the observatory in the first game.

Last edited:
x_x i'm the only one who voted 3D Land

tbh it's the only one I've really played, other than the one on the Wii.

I enjoyed all Mario Games really, except for the sports versions. But generally all though.

Wow, this is a good thread idea!

I'd say it's a toss up between Sunshine and Galaxy 1 for me, and judging by the poll I don't think I'm alone there. Sunshine feels like my favoruite, but I think that's more just from nostalgia and the real answer would be Galaxy from a more objective point of view of the best game.

I absolutely love super Mario sunshine and it's the mario game i always want to play but unfortunately I don't have the game anymore! I also love mario sunshine music :3

I've played a little bit of Super Mario Galaxy and I really liked what I played.
I couldn't get into Super Mario 64.
My personal favourite is 3D World.

I've only played 64, Sunshine and 3D Land (I'm mostly a 2D-fan). Galaxy games look awesome but I'm pretty sure they would give me severe motion sickness.

Anyways, this is how I would rank the three games I've actually played:

1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Mario Sunshine
3. Super Mario 3D Land

I do have really high hopes for Super Mario Odyssey.

Sunshine's design philosophy and versatility in instantaneous moveset options, combined with the Galaxy games' refined controls would be the absolute best

and it looks like Odyssey might be just that, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of it

Last edited:
Definitely Sunshine! It's a beautiful game, and it's extremely nostalgic for me. But Odyssey will definitely be the best once it's out. xD

I was not expecting Sunshine to be this popular, I see people rag on it constantly (especially people around my age who grew up with SM64). I love SM64 and Sunshine a lot but I love Sunshine just a bit more.

Really Sunshine is winning? I picked Galaxy 2, but i don't disagree with this answer.... I revisited it years after it was outta style and still loved it

- - - Post Merge - - -

BUT! the best mario game is Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, so this poll is irrelevant

As much as I love Super Mario Galaxy, I'd have to pick Sunshine over it.
Decently challenging, beautiful level design, and it took the things that made Super Mario 64 so great and refined them.

The announcement that Odyssey is going back to the SM64/Sunshine gameplay is part of why I'm so excited for it.

i LOVE 3d world because of the cool powerups (MEOWSER HAAAAAAAAA) but i really need to play galaxy it looks so fun. 3d world was also simple and not so complex so it was easy to play with my friends who had no idea how to play video games. its def meant to be a multiplayer mario

Omg i was NOT expecting to see sunshine at the top (which i voted for). I love it, seems alot of us grew up with it! I loved the hub world, it had a proper story, great characters, hidden stuff, great music, the gameplay was annoying at times but it was still great. I love hub worlds which is why i'm really looking forward to oddysse

Back