• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you landscape your island?

Do you landscape your island?

• Yes

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • I haven't thought about it

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

unpoetic

sleepy
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Do you guys landscape your islands or do you just leave it as is? I've been considering planting some more trees and flowers to make it more colorful but haven't decided yet. If you've done anything interesting, post pictures!

I actually do the opposite. Once I've caught all the other bugs, I cut down the trees and remove the bushes and flowers so I can farm beetles more efficiently.

I actually do the opposite. Once I've caught all the other bugs, I cut down the trees and remove the bushes and flowers so I can farm beetles more efficiently.

This, pretty much. My island is bare except for 4 palm trees. Although my mayor is so rich that beetle farming is no longer necessary for me. Maybe I'll do that if I get really bored, but honestly, I don't even ever go to the island anymore so I don't know what the point would be for me personally.

That idea hasn't occurred to me actually. I do like catching the butterflies though so I don't know if I would do it.

That idea hasn't occurred to me actually. I do like catching the butterflies though so I don't know if I would do it.

Yeah, I really like the butterflies, so I may end up replanting my island eventually. I love birdwing butterflies in particular... so pretty.

For now the only thing I keep there are a few palm trees but once I get enough bells I might turn the island back to its original form, it is looking a bit sad now :rolleyes:

I only have palm trees on my island to beetle hunt. I've thought about decorating it with hybrids once I've gotten enough bells saved up, but that's expensive since you can only bring like one hybrid to your island at a time.

Nope. It looks just the same now as it did when I first went there.

I have no trees on my island except for palm trees to beetle hunt, but I've actually considered doing this! I think that once I earn more bells, I'll make my island look really pretty.

Once i get the pwps i want and upgrade my houses i plan to landscape my island, but i need them bells

This, pretty much. My island is bare except for 4 palm trees. Although my mayor is so rich that beetle farming is no longer necessary for me. Maybe I'll do that if I get really bored, but honestly, I don't even ever go to the island anymore so I don't know what the point would be for me personally.

Agreed. Thought I'd do it to have a pretty island but also want to beetle hunt even though the need isn't there as much anymore hmm...

I said "yes" but my landscaping efforts have been limited to a couple hibiscus bush starts, planting more palm trees, and having lots of flowers I pilfered from island tours. I know a clear island = more expensive bugs to catch for bells, but I honestly cannot stand the thought of spending time on the island without the colour and texture of flowers to look at.

Last edited:
Done with bug hunting so I replanted 4 trees in the middle. Placed white pansies and white cosmos around the edge of the grass.
Left flip flops, tank and shorts on the island for my players. Noticed the empty spots in rental tools box and wished I could place the clothing in there.

For those that want to take hybrids put one in your hair and one in your mouth to save bells.
For those that want flowers but still need to bug hunt store your flowers in the island box during your bug hunt. Put the flowers back when the box starts to get full.

A little. I cut down the two palms nearest the hut for visibility and only keep the stumps until a Longhorn Beetle is in the Museum. On the south shore, I'll replant the palms back from the shoreline for a better angle to net beetles. Also, I'll snag white flowers on a tour since they're preferred by the Orchid Mantis. Actually, nothing to enhance looks.

I try to keep mine as default as possible but I'd probably landscape it someday. I wanted to bring flower hybrids but feel lazy to go back and forth many times. I don't use it and I hardly go there.

I have mine set up for beetle farming but after I've finished upgrading everything and getting my PWP's I might, but idk, I don't spend a ton of time on the island besides for beetle farming, unless I'm trying to get the special items and stuff which I usually go to the public island for too.

Well I manage to have an island full of flowers & still beetle farm successfully - 3 palm trees on each side, (well spaced) none on the south, one fruit tree in the centre part, to the north & right. Left hibiscus bushes where they were originally or tweaked them slightly. (make it easier/faster to catch butterflies).

A 2 tile path down the middle of the centre (which I can run up & down), flowers to either side red on one side, white on the other (for orchid mantis). Have a border of different flowers lining the path.
The single fruit tree very useful - get scarabs, giant stag, rainbow stag, oak silk moth lantern & the lesser ones.
Have a tree stump if you need the longhorn beetle & then get rid of.

I don't find the butterflies an issue at night, as its only the emperor & I sell those to the little girl or take back sometimes. With bell boom on I make 420K in 40 mins which includes one tour. Good enough for me & the island looks pretty.

I added more palm and fruit trees to catch more beetles (giant and rainbow stags are worth 10k each). And I added more hibiscus bushes.

Back