• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you prefer spending money on products or experiences?

thisistian

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pear (Fruit)
White Rose
If you were given ?500, would you run to the Apple store to buy the newest iPad or book your ticket to a fantasy-like destination with your friends/family members?

An experience. I already have basically all products I want.

Honestly I prefer to buy products...I've never gone travelling in my entire life(I know, such a loser amiright), and most of my favorite life-experiences have been from stuff like my playthroughs of games such as Final Fantasy X or Shadow of The Colossus. That and all the friends I've met from games such as Pokemon or Animal Crossing.(Hell, my long-distance ex and I had some of the best times of our time together playing that game). Now, don't get me wrong, I love going to places like the zoo, and I'd gladly spend money to do something fun like that, but I prefer spending money on something that can last me a long time, or something with sentimental value, like my Pokemon collection.

That and food. Food's a product in this context and y'know. Food is good.

I'd buy products. If I had the money I'd buy an Alienware laptop or top of the line drawing tablet before I buy a new cellphone.

I'd rather spend it on an experience. I want to travel a lot so I would probably use the money on that.

Experience. I may not get many more chances (if any more at all) to visit a place whereas I could buy a new iPad at any time, and new ones are going to replace soon anyways since Apple always releases new models.

If you were given ?500, would you run to the Apple store to buy the newest iPad or book your ticket to a fantasy-like destination with your friends/family members?

Friends and family members?

Do you know how much ?500 is, or is your fantasy-like destination just 'Blackpool beach'?

now i have a macbook i don't need or want anything else and i'm set for life, material wise!!
but there are plenty of places id love to go and see so that's what i'd rather spend it on. i'd love to see japan, more of usa, canada, france, italy. so many beautiful places.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Friends and family members?

Do you know how much ?500 is, or is your fantasy-like destination just 'Blackpool beach'?

correct me if i'm wrong, but blackpool beach has a nickelodeon park with spongebob and dora the explorer. are you implying that's not what dreams are made of?

With that amount of money, I'd probably go for products over experiences. Could stretch it further, get more bang for my buck. :p

But if I somehow got enough to take my husband and my mother on a trip to Istanbul, I'd book those tickets in a heartbeat.

Never had money for anything really, so I'd rather spend that amount of cash to buy myself something and be happy with it for years. Memories are nice, but they don't require money.

correct me if i'm wrong, but blackpool beach has a nickelodeon park with spongebob and dora the explorer. are you implying that's not what dreams are made of?

I had a quick look for the prices of Nickelodeon Land and instead of an answer I left with the question of: why do they make proper mascot suits (like, with the big stupid head and everything) of 'human' characters like Dora and the bald kid from Avatar? It either looks stupid or horrifying. Just, like, dress up a person...Which they kind of have to be fair, but we know what I mean.

But Jungle Jim's Adventure Playground is ?3 entry. I can have an experience and a Switch.

Last edited:
I had a quick look for the prices of Nickelodeon Land and instead of an answer I left with the question of: why do they make proper mascot suits (like, with the big stupid head and everything) of 'human' characters like Dora and the bald kid from Avatar? It either looks stupid or horrifying. Just, like, dress up a person...Which they kind of have to be fair, but we know what I mean.

But Jungle Jim's Adventure Playground is ?3 entry. I can have an experience and a Switch.

i reckon shaving your head, head arrow tattoos and monkey sidekicks with talking backpacks are a big dedication for the character actors and an obstacle for nickelodeon

As 500 pounds converts to $817AUD, I could *just* get a new ipad for that (128gb retina ipad or ipad mini for $799AUD each http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/compare/). Of course the lifeproof case is at least another $150 on top of that.

500 pounds wouldn't get me a return airfare to many international destination on my "fantasy" list, unfortunately. Assuming all other costs are magically met somehow (accommodation, visas, travel insurance, transport costs, food, tourist tours + entry fees, souvenir money, etc etc), I'd still be out of pocket for the airfare at least a couple hundred pounds. Added to that, few of my family and friends could currently afford to pay their own way on such a holiday. Life sucks like that sometimes.

That said, I'll answer the general question : I prefer to spend money on experiences than on material possessions. I'm fortunate to be able to have both thanks mostly to my partner, so I don't often need to make an either/or choice. I frequently decline to purchase something, but it's a clear choice I'm making because I want to rather than because I *have* to.

Last edited:
if i was given a ton of money i would buy my own plane to have experiences :cool:

500 pounds is 623.50 in US dollars. That's not even enough to get me to the other side of the US, even as a one way ticket sadly. I figure it's doable if you're going someplace where you can stay overnight like a neighboring state depending on where you live.

Anyway, I'd rather get the experience. :)

i'd rather get a product, like a new phone tbh (mine is so ****ing cracked, it's not even funny) and i'd have money left over for somethin' else. ?500 is like just above $600 usd so that wouldn't take me very far :/ i spent a week in texas, and that cost about $1000. 500 of that was literally just for a hotel room ^^;
if it were more money i'd definitely say take a trip, but since it's just that i'd prefer just to get a new phone.

Last edited:
I'd normally say product, since I can have it indefinitely, but I'd also say experience if it was REALLY worth it like visiting another country.

experiences hands down. I'd rather go to amazing places and do amazing things than hoard items. I'll gladly cut back and go as cheap as I can in daily life so I can save up to have a fantastic trip or an amazing experience.
Don't get me wrong though, I do splurge now and then on special items that I want. But for the most part I prefer experience. :)

Back