Things you've pronounced wrong nearly your entire life?

I remember when i was little. i'd always pronounce "pillow" as "pellow". i'm sure i've even spelled it like that a few times on assignments when i would write about stuff back in elementary school. tragic XD

where i'm from we apparently pronounce tour differently i've been told (we say like tore), and someone pointed it out to me and i was like whatttt the heck.

where i'm from we apparently pronounce tour differently i've been told (we say like tore), and someone pointed it out to me and i was like whatttt the heck.

that's how i've always pronounced it are there other ways?

Ordinance. I always missed the "in" part of it and pronounced it "ordiance." Imagine my surprise ^^"

I have to agree with the Pok?mon! I remember not being able to pronounce dratini when I was little but I can't remember how I used to pronounce it.

Used to pronounce Ecruteak as 'ee-croo-tea-ack'. No clue.

I pronouced dachshund as "dash-hound" nearly my entire life, but then I learnt a few months ago that it's pronounced "dox-hund". :( I was pretty embarrassed.

Not that this is in any way important, but dachshund is a German name and translates to "badger dog" - I'm guessing they were bred for hunting.

To contribute my own...there have been so many, I can't remember them all. I'll go with the most embarrassing:
Hermione pronounced as Hermi-1 *giggle*
I don't think I put too much thought into it; it's just how I read it

Last edited:
Well, this is more of an accent thing, but I've never really pronounced the 'T' in "mountain"

it's more like "moun'in" (i don't know how to explain it)

until i called my friend who used to really be into him a few months ago i always thought deadmau5 was pronounced "dead mow five"

ahhhh-- my boyfie pronounced spearmint wrong until 2 years ago (hes 26 now)
he use to say spare-mint, the first time I heard him say it I was so confused hehe ; v;

Last edited:
ahhhh-- my boyfie pronounced spearmint wrong until 2 years ago (hes 26 now)
he use to say spare-mint, the first time I heard him say it I was so confused hehe ; v;

So you're telling me it's NOT pronounced spare-mint?! O.O

It doesn't even make sense because I definitely saw that it was spelled "spear" - somehow I must have decided "spare-mint" sounded better >.<

the swedish word for therapist is "terapeut" but it is pronounced like "terapeft." i thought that terapeut and terapeft were two different words that meant kinda the same thing for a super long time ....

Back