• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Things you've pronounced wrong nearly your entire life?

forestyne

Finally Left.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
October Birthstone (Opal)
Flea
I just wanted to see if any of you had pronounced words wrong for a really long time and then found out you were saying it wrong the whole time?

I pronouced dachshund as "dash-hound" nearly my entire life, but then I learnt a few months ago that it's pronounced "dox-hund". :( I was pretty embarrassed.

I could list many, thanks to having severe dyslexia my whole life...And of course a lot of words I mispronounced were read on some place or another.

"Nearby" I pronounced Nerby.
"Adobe Flash Player" I always pronounced as "Abode"
"Articuno" was "Arcituno"
"Suicune" was "Suicine"

I still call "Scizor" "Scy-zorrr" and not "Scissor"...The list goes on.

I could list many, thanks to having severe dyslexia my whole life...And of course a lot of words I mispronounced were read on some place or another.

"Nearby" I pronounced Nerby.
"Adobe Flash Player" I always pronounced as "Abode"
"Articuno" was "Arcituno"
"Suicune" was "Suicine"

I still call "Scizor" "Scy-zorrr" and not "Scissor"...The list goes on.

ok i say scizor like that too lmao i didnt know that was wrong

ok i say scizor like that too lmao i didnt know that was wrong

It is to some but it'll always be right to me.

Same with Arceus. I pronounce it Arseus, not Arkeus. But that's wrong to some.

Last edited:
one of the weirdest things, i used to say inventory like "e-ven-chuh-ree" and i still sometimes get it wrong.
when i was younger and playing games, i also used to say pwn like... you might get it but i was really surprised when my parents didn't say anything

Last edited:
I also mispronounce Arceus as "ar-see-us", it just sounds wrong any other way. And Caterpie as "kat-er-pai", along with pretty much every other pokemon with a weird name.

I pronounced Chao (those little animals from the Sonic series) like "Chay-oh" for the longest time. There were a lot of names in Greek Mythology I would mispronounce all the time too, back when I was still learning about it.

I also mispronounce Arceus as "ar-see-us", it just sounds wrong any other way. And Caterpie as "kat-er-pai", along with pretty much every other pokemon with a weird name.

I thought Caterpie was correctly pronounced as "kat-er-pai" :confused:

I pronounced and spelled cole slaw wrong.
I both spelled and pronounced it "colsla" because that's how my Grandma said it.

Christina Aguilera's last name
I pronounced it ah-gyoo-leh-ree-ah
I dunno why I misplaced the "I"

A lot of things. I used to have trouble saying "desks" though. I could never get the "ks" part right.

most words in English to be honest. My second language and yeah we didn't get much actual pronunciation training lmao.

i say "marsh-mEllows"
i know it's with an a but i just thought that was how its said because yaknow its english
but my family was making fun of me when i said that i said it like how i always do? like they never noticed i was saying "mellow" instead of "mallow"

to add to my earlier answer- 'welwyn'. my boyfriend is from there and i still have no clue what the right way to say it is!!

to add to my earlier answer- 'welwyn'. my boyfriend is from there and i still have no clue what the right way to say it is!!

Well-in. Welwyn. But is it actually Welwyn or Welwyn Garden City? Just off the A1(M)? I've driven past quite a few times recently but I haven't actually been to either.

Back