Things you've pronounced wrong nearly your entire life?

forestyne

Finally Left.
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
October Birthstone (Opal)
Flea
I just wanted to see if any of you had pronounced words wrong for a really long time and then found out you were saying it wrong the whole time?

I pronouced dachshund as "dash-hound" nearly my entire life, but then I learnt a few months ago that it's pronounced "dox-hund". :( I was pretty embarrassed.

I could list many, thanks to having severe dyslexia my whole life...And of course a lot of words I mispronounced were read on some place or another.

"Nearby" I pronounced Nerby.
"Adobe Flash Player" I always pronounced as "Abode"
"Articuno" was "Arcituno"
"Suicune" was "Suicine"

I still call "Scizor" "Scy-zorrr" and not "Scissor"...The list goes on.

I could list many, thanks to having severe dyslexia my whole life...And of course a lot of words I mispronounced were read on some place or another.

"Nearby" I pronounced Nerby.
"Adobe Flash Player" I always pronounced as "Abode"
"Articuno" was "Arcituno"
"Suicune" was "Suicine"

I still call "Scizor" "Scy-zorrr" and not "Scissor"...The list goes on.

ok i say scizor like that too lmao i didnt know that was wrong

one of the weirdest things, i used to say inventory like "e-ven-chuh-ree" and i still sometimes get it wrong.
when i was younger and playing games, i also used to say pwn like... you might get it but i was really surprised when my parents didn't say anything

Last edited:
I also mispronounce Arceus as "ar-see-us", it just sounds wrong any other way. And Caterpie as "kat-er-pai", along with pretty much every other pokemon with a weird name.

I pronounced Chao (those little animals from the Sonic series) like "Chay-oh" for the longest time. There were a lot of names in Greek Mythology I would mispronounce all the time too, back when I was still learning about it.

I pronounced and spelled cole slaw wrong.
I both spelled and pronounced it "colsla" because that's how my Grandma said it.

Christina Aguilera's last name
I pronounced it ah-gyoo-leh-ree-ah
I dunno why I misplaced the "I"

most words in English to be honest. My second language and yeah we didn't get much actual pronunciation training lmao.

i say "marsh-mEllows"
i know it's with an a but i just thought that was how its said because yaknow its english
but my family was making fun of me when i said that i said it like how i always do? like they never noticed i was saying "mellow" instead of "mallow"

to add to my earlier answer- 'welwyn'. my boyfriend is from there and i still have no clue what the right way to say it is!!

to add to my earlier answer- 'welwyn'. my boyfriend is from there and i still have no clue what the right way to say it is!!

Well-in. Welwyn. But is it actually Welwyn or Welwyn Garden City? Just off the A1(M)? I've driven past quite a few times recently but I haven't actually been to either.

Back