• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Hilarious things we thought as kids...?

If I put and rested my hand on face, my eyes would pop out.

I used to think that if you pulled on your eyes, they'd eventually be stuck like that.

I thought wasabi was green-tea ice cream (until I tried it, that is).

I've always been really, really bad at math. When I was a kid, I just assumed that once I became an adult I would automatically understand math, so I didn't worry about it so much at the time.

I was wrong.

I used to think Pokemon was stupid for years.

Then I played it and realized it was like...the best.

when I was a kid I made a character called "the good microbe" because at the time we were getting taught about different dangerous "bad" bacteria and viruses and I was like, maybe we can talk them out of it and the potential of turning them from evil to peaceful..yeah

I truly thought that inanimate objects COULDVE been like born a person, but God just like didn't make them a person, or like they just didn't "get" born. So i treated EVERYTHING with EXTREME CARE, and would whisper stuff to tables when i had to put stuff on them, to chairs and sofas if i had to sit...When i would sneak outta my bed to sleep in my parents bed, i would place all my plushies in my bed, and tuck them in so THE BED wouldn't feel alone... as well as whispering how sorry i was and that i would sleep in it tomorrow.

as a kid I thought social security numbers were something that everyone got in order to GUARENTEE them a home. Like in my mind I had a home somewhere waiting for me so when I turned 18 I would get whatever house had like designated for 118-335-0098 (obvi not my real ss)...and that some people got lucky and they got mansions and others weren't lucky and got studio apartments..and thought that you got your job that way too. I thought this till I was about 5...maybe 4? when my parents overheard me telling a kid I was playing with that his parents were just unlucky with their social security numbers cause he lived in a smaller house then I did , and mine were lucky..so yea.

I also believed for the longest time i believed that people with brown hair...that when they were born their moms had pooped on them and it made their hair brown...that was courtesy of my older sister (whom is blonde mind you and i am a brunette)...

Last edited:
Cereal killer, someone going around killing cereal..Like what.

I'm not kidding I thought that's what it was lol
then that same year I realized it's serial killer and they don't harm cereal o-o..

Last edited:
Haha so many of these are absolutely normal - though hilarious to hear - things that children think as they grow and learn to understand the world around them. Don't feel bad for the things you thought as a child, we all had some decidely odd ideas at some stage, I promise! Just try and focus on how far you've come - and there's always more to learn, too. :)

Until around 7 I used to think that salt cancelled out sugar - if you put a teaspoon of sugar in a glass of water and then a teaspoon of salt and stirred until they were mostly dissolved, you would just have something that tasted like water again. No idea *why* I was so convinced of this, but I'd thought it for years. My mum wasn't impressed to hear my condescending "just add some sugar then, gosh mum!" when she put too much salt into whatever she was cooking. It took her more than a few tries to convince me, and I still didn't actually believe her til I privately tried to put salt and sugar into a glass of water lol.

Another false certainty I had until the same age was that cold = coughing, flu = sneezing. I know how this one came about though - when I was 4 or so mum's good friend had the flu and I heard them talking about how sick she'd been. When I asked mum about it later she told me it was "like having a cold but a lot worse". I had recently heard a bunch of adults talking about how painful sneezing is when you have hayfever and allergies, and how it's so much worse than coughing. I made a natural - though utterly wrong, of course - conclusion for a 4ish year old and concluded that having the flu had to mean sneezing instead of coughing - a conclusion inadvertently reinforced by mum telling me that no, people don't always have a cough with the flu. I remember looking up at her and thinking "coughing and sneezing don't hurt me so I don't see what the fuss is.. maybe she just wanted to stay home and play for a while". Thankfully I kept that to myself as it wouldn't have gone over well at all. I didn't think badly of the friend or anything, but I wouldn't have been able to explain myself well enough to get out of that trouble!

Last edited:
i thought that when someone gave birth their belly button opened and the baby would come through there lol

i thought that when someone gave birth their belly button opened and the baby would come through there lol

When I was a little girl I thought that people got pregnant by kissing or eating too much.

I also thought Luncheon was a Pokemon.

i kinda knew where babies come out (like the general area lmao i didnt know details) and i thought it was a real problem that pregnant people accidentally gave birth into the toilet when they were using it. i was worried that the babies would get poop on them or that their heads would get stuck in the toilet

i used to be absolutely terrified of taking baths because i thought the water near the drain had jellyfish in it and they were going to come get me lol

I thought that if I hung any body part over the side of my bed while I was sleeping, a monster from underneath it would grab me by it and pull me under the bed.

I used to think that when the moon came up it was really just the sun sleeping

I thought alcohol was poisonous to anyone who wasn't an adult.

My mother convinced me that if I popped a blister on my hand, my whole hand would fall off. Cue me freaking out when my teacher forced us all to come together in a circle and hold hands in class the following day, and my teacher not even knowing what to say when I told her I didn't want my hand to fall off.

Back