Ask the cool cat

31b5c34f252ef7fa3322cb6c6d64f922.jpg

What's ur fave dreamworks movie?
What do u want to be when u get older/what r u majoring in/ what are your career goals?

What's ur fave dreamworks movie?
What do u want to be when u get older/what r u majoring in/ what are your career goals?

My favorite dreamworks movie is How to Train Your Dragon! That's actually a perfect segway into the other question, since Httyd was the movie that made me decide that I wanted to become an artist and make animated movies/cartoons.
So yeah, I'm studying art and my goal is to become an artist for an animation studio.
I keep wanting to make an art thread here, but I am very shy and very lazy. All I can see are the mistakes after I'm done
Here's a couple examples of stuff I've done though:
I actually did this study of fabric today. It's a wip only about halfway done, but you get the idea:
halfway.jpg
Here's some other assignment stuff that's a few months old (and conversely super cringe-worthy to me) but still kinda cool i guess. it's worth noting on the first one that the background was provided, I only painted the objects in the foreground here's what I was given so you get a better idea of what I actually did
Lesson3_Assignment_b.jpgreflective.jpg
and one more oldie for good measure:
hw4.jpg

I don't really feel comfortable at present moment posting my more cartoon-y personal stuff but I mean, you get the idea. :/

Thanks for the question. It feels good to actually post some stuff :)

Your art is so pretty!

Any tips at becoming better at art? i'm an artist myself, however i'm only able draw people (mainly females) so i'm trying to become better.

WOW! Your art looks amazing!

Especially the last one - it looks like a Pixar movie, like Up!!! Keep it up!

WOW! Your art looks amazing!

Especially the last one - it looks like a Pixar movie, like Up!!! Keep it up!

Your art is so pretty!

Any tips at becoming better at art? i'm an artist myself, however i'm only able draw people (mainly females) so i'm trying to become better.

oh geez. thanks so much!!:blush:
It's weird to have someone coming to me for advice since 90% of the time I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm still constantly learning and changing and I certainly don't know everything. But if I had any advice I guess I would say the best way to improve is to just work your butt off.

But there is a trick to get the best out of your practice time, and it's best to work smarter, not harder.
Like, when you sit down to practice really think about what it is you want to get better at. Get specific. 'I want to get better at drawing' is vague and general. Something like 'i want to get better at drawing men' is better, but you can get even more specific, 'i want to get better at drawing men in appealing poses' is much better, because then you've got a very specific goal in mind and you can spend however much time you have to practice focusing on this one specific goal.
You can get improvement much quicker this way.

Don't just go on autopilot when you're practicing like this, really think about what you're doing and focus on the process. If you practice something enough times eventually it will become second nature to you and you won't even have to think about what you're doing.

Also, do not ever EVER compare yourself to others. Your own growth and improvement will always pale when you look at somebody else. But it's not fair to compare your own growth to someone else's. Especially if they have more experience. Remember that 'the master has failed more times than the beginner has tried'

Well, there's a couple quick tips I guess. Happy drawing! You can do it!!

Last edited:
oh geez. thanks so much!!:blush:
It's weird to have someone coming to me for advice since 90% of the time I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm still constantly learning and changing and I certainly don't know everything. But if I had any advice I guess I would say the best way to improve is to just work your butt off.

But there is a trick to get the best out of your practice time, and it's best to work smarter, not harder.
Like, when you sit down to practice really think about what it is you want to get better at. Get specific. 'I want to get better at drawing' is vague and general. Something like 'i want to get better at drawing men' is better, but you can get even more specific, 'i want to get better at drawing men in appealing poses' is much better, because then you've got a very specific goal in mind and you can spend however much time you have to practice focusing on this one specific goal.
You can get improvement much quicker this way.

Don't just go on autopilot when you're practicing like this, really think about what you're doing and focus on the process. If you practice something enough times eventually it will become second nature to you and you won't even have to think about what you're doing.

Also, do not ever EVER compare yourself to others. Your own growth and improvement will always pale when you look at somebody else. But it's not fair to compare your own growth to someone else's. Especially if they have more experience. Remember that 'the master has failed more times than the beginner has tried'

Well, there's a couple quick tips I guess. Happy drawing! You can do it!!

Thank you! that was really, really helpful. :)

Back