• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Duped / hacked items survey

Red Cat

On-and-off member
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
2020-8332-2456
Tin Robot
Boo Halloweaster Egg
Oarfish Head
Oarfish Body
Oarfish Tail
Jingle Christmas Doll
Holiday Candy Cane 2020
Christmas Candy
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
Recently, the staff put out a survey asking us about our opinions on trading duped or hacked items and villagers. The survey itself is anonymous, but this is a thread for people to publicly share their opinions.

I personally think the rules should be relaxed since these items are already routinely traded with a wink / nod approach when it's obvious that they are duplicated or hacked, but only the people who come out and say that their items are "illegitimately" obtained are penalized for providing that information. The only concern I have is people trading malicious items which can harm other people's games, but I'd rather see a policy more focused on that than a broad brush against hacked items.

Also, I have a question for the staff. Why is this survey being done now so late into ACNL's lifespan? Either the policy is necessary or it isn't and I don't know what has changed 4-5 years in that it's just now being brought up. Is there any particular reason why the staff is now reconsidering the policy?

Seriously? Never even seen this.

Some of you may remember that petition-like thread I made here for "Red's Tent", a kind of megathread for hacking discussion and guides. It got shut down pretty quickly, but I'm happy to see things are progressing with this concept. I'm going to go and take this right now, because I've always felt really strongly about this topic.

While I don't mind people trading and using hacking items, I don't think we should be able to SELL them, at least not with tbt. There's people working hard to earn tbt such as growing their own flowers, and filling out their catalogs for people. But then there's hackers who can just spawn in the items and make the same amount of tbt as people working hard.

Hey guys,

Appreciate the enthusiasm on the topic, but it's certainly not an accident that we didn't make any big announcement or thread about this yet. We've intentionally chosen to do some low-key research on this rather than a large discussion at this time. So we'll be closing this thread for now, but we're happy to open it back up or create a new thread once the survey has closed to responses.

Finally, in regard to why it's being done now, I'll just say that we're always discussing matters like this behind closed doors. However they don't always make it this far in the process for a number of reasons, including simply other priorities and time. As someone who's been here for the entire duration of New Leaf's lifespan, I can definitely say we've discussed this many many times before. Not all discussions make it to this point, but this time it has.

Hi folks,

The survey is now closed so I am re-opening this thread as originally promised, feel free to discuss if you would like. That said, we don't have anything to announced or share about the survey or any possible changes quite yet, so we won't be saying much in here right now. This is really just to keep my word on opening the thread when the survey closed!

Hacking is bad, and people who do it might go to hell. That's what my mom said anyway. By the way Justin, can you tell the girl in your avatar to cover her shoulders? Jeez.

Bowie for President! You're making bigger changes then many of us B-)

I think Jake mentioned this already, but the staff have actually been talking about it much longer than I originally thought (long before my petition-like thing)!

I think Jake mentioned this already, but the staff have actually been talking about it much longer than I originally thought (long before my petition-like thing)!

Oh my, well, way to encourage it? Haha

Last edited:
I don't mind people who hack. Do your own thing, man. But I prefer to do things without hacking and I like that this site, for the most part is a hack free zone. Because there are plenty of places online that do allow hacking.

However, I do feel like hacking is necessary for some items, like the 7-11 and fueki stuff as it would be nearly impossible to obtain otherwise.

I think hacking is a good thing! You can get your dreamies, any item you want, unlimited bells, a perfect map layout, etc.! However, I think it is extremely wrong to sell hacked items. It's unfair to the people who have actually spent money on their Welcome Amiibo / Sanrio cards.

I remember this really amazing hacked town from when I used to play City Folk. It snowed all the time, and the trees acted as barriers to force you to follow a path, and they all had Bells on them. The guy who owned it gave people tours of his town, and used to hit people with lightsabers (a hacked item which I was lucky enough to get thanks to my interactions with the hacking community) if they ran off.

They had a beautiful village-like row of houses and trees, and they all had those Christmas lights on them. It was adorable. He also had a hacked villager that was made to look like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Experiences like that inspire me so much and remind me of why I still play this game. It's so creative and aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited:
I remember this really amazing hacked town from when I used to play City Folk. It snowed all the time, and the trees acted as barriers to force you to follow a path, and they all had Bells on them. The guy who owned it gave people tours of his town, and used to hit people with lightsabers (a hacked item which I was lucky enough to get thanks to my interactions with the hacking community) if they ran off.

They had a beautiful village-like row of houses and trees, and they all had those Christmas lights on them. It was adorable. He also had a hacked villager that was made to look like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Experiences like that inspire me so much and remind me of why I still play this game. It's so creative and aesthetically pleasing.

Dude i remember those ACCF towns back in 2009 - 2011 <3 . I loved how creative some towns could be.
Its a shame i could never hack ACCF :( But im glad i could finally hack ACNL on 2016! Homebrew and their developers are super awesome.

Back